Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 09:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

What did you think about the book?

To me, that was SO ILLUMINATING. Really, eye opening.

What a truly honest, frank look at people in poverty, written by someone in poverty.

Especially the reality that if you're in poverty, and park your car accidentally in a tow away zone, it's very likely your car will now be owned by the tow yard. Because you accidentally parked illegally, a private tow yard has now legally stolen your car. Something I didn't even consider, because I've accidentally parked illegally and had my car towed and I was in a position to pay the couple hundred dollars the next day to redeem it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 08:14 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
Hand to Mouth
Does this come from a real world POV? I read Nickeled and Dimed and hated it because it was such a pretense and didn't actually touch on what's it's really like to BE poor. It would be refreshing to read something from someone who's actually lived the ups and downs.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:48 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Another one from Louise Erdrich (my new favorite author, how has she escaped me)? Finished "LaRose" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26116430-larose

This was a 5 star read for me.

"She missed her mother, even though Mink had sold her. She missed Wolford, the only person left for her. She kept his finely written letters. When she was weak or tired, she read them over. That he called her Flower made her uneasy. Girls were not named for flowers, as flowers died so quickly. Girls were named for deathless things--forms of light, forms of clouds, shapes of stars, that which appears and disappears like an island on the horizon. Sometimes the school seemed like a dream that could not be true, and she fell asleep hoping to wake in another world."

"It was ancient and had risen from the boiling earth. It had slept falling dormant in the dust, rising in the mist. Tuberculosis had flown in a dizzy rush to unite with warm life. It was in each new world, and every old world. First it loved animals, then it loved people too. Sometimes it landed in a jailhouse of human tissue, walled off from the nourishing fronds of the body. Sometimes it bolted, ran free, tunneled through bones, or elaborated lungs into fancy lace. Sometimes it could go anywhere. Sometimes it came to nothing. Sometimes it made a home in a family, or commenced its restless touring in a school where children slept side by side."

"Hey."

"Hey."

"She was strong, had a wicked jumping overhand volleyball serve, her curves were powerful. She could put a thousand voice-layers into that one morning greeting and so could Hollis. The shadow in her Hey said, I'm into you! They rarely said more than Hey and Hey. But the way it was said would stay with each of them as the day wore on. Their Heys were a pilot light that could possibly flare up if Josette ever took her eyes off the cornflakes falling into her bowl."

"He always had trouble opening his heart. Tonight it was stuck again. It was a wooden chest secured by locked iron bands. An army duffel, rusted zipper. Kitchen cupboards glued shut. Tabernacle. Desk. Closet. He had to wedge apart doors, lift covers. He was always disappointed to find a drab or menacing interior. To make a welcoming place of his heart was mentally slippery work. Sometimes cleaning was involved, rearrangements. He had to dust. He had to throw out old junk to make room. It was all so tedious, but he worked at the project until he had the whole damned lot of Emmaline's family in there and could slam it shut, exhausted, with Emmaline in the center and safe from him."

"She was tense. Sitting beside her mother going sixty-five miles per hour, she tried not to hyperventilate. Maggie held her breath every time a car swished by in the other lane. Let it out when the danger was over. She had developed propulsive convictions since finding her mother in the barn--like if she held her breath when cars came, her mother would not swerve and kill them all. Or if Maggie held her breath even longer, Nola might swerve but she and LaRose would miraculously survive the crash. Right now, with all the school supplies in the car, and her mother so pleased about having bought new fine-point markers, packages of notebook paper, labels, even a magnetic mirror for the inside of her locker door, Maggie felt the danger of a murder-suicide was pretty low, still she held her breath."

Old 07-12-2021, 10:37 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times

Old 07-12-2021, 11:08 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I just started Dancing on Broken Glass yesterday morning- and it's held me (surprisingly so. I was not really looking forward to it. it's a book club pick) . I am about halfway through and finding it a very good read. Not the most pleasant of topics, it is fiction about a marriage where one person has bipolar disorder- and the other has physical illnesses, but it's pretty enlightening. Will update of course when I am done, but so far so good.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Just finished a great book from Michael Koryta - Those Who Wish Me Dead
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...vUSbtTX&rank=1

The book is set in the wilderness of Montana, it’s full of adventure and suspense. This is my first book from Michael Koryta, won’t be the last.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:06 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times
I am currently reading and Advance Reader Copy (ARC) of a book called The 9.9 Percent by Matthew Stewart, which is scheduled for release in October. I'm about a third of the way through it, and so far, so good. He has a lot of really interesting things to say about economic inequality and culture. If you enjoy that kind of thing, put it on your to buy list.

Last edited by kj1065; 07-13-2021 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 02:19 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Just about to finish "Medicine Walk" by Wagamese. Then I need to start "Vanishing Half" by Bennett.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:02 PM

34,999 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Default I am rotating between three and one half books...

Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944…by Max Hastings

Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Thiby Joseph Telushkin

Eager: The Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers by Ben Goldfarb

The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

All very different books. All are a bit of a slog, but that's only because of my lack of familiarity with the material.

1. I have done a lot of WW II reading but most of it is about the European Theater and the Holocaust. Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944…by Max Hastings is about the Pacific Theater. Britain's and Canada's involvement was peripheral.
  2. Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Thiby Joseph Telushkin is about Jewish history. About one-third of it is familiar, the rest not so much.
  3. Eager: The Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers by Ben Goldfarb is about wildlife. I was going to purchase this but decided to take it from the library instead. I didn't feel guilty though; I made other purchases of books not readily available.
  4. The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooperis a novel. The writing style is antiquated, which makes it a bit of a struggle to read. Also most of what I read is non-fiction. Still, as a history buff, this novel itself is history.
Also, the phrase "The Last of the Mohicans" is a commonly used phrase by people who have never read the book. That is one of my pet peeves, see How Often Have People Read Books That They Cite in Discussions?

Old 07-15-2021, 12:25 PM

10,085 posts, read 1,021,417 times
"Orange is the New Black" = Piper Kerman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books