U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 PM

16,005 posts, read 19,520,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Enjoying What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson.
I really enjoyed that book--and the movie. Both are very thought-provoking.

I'm reading And the Walls Came Tumbling Down by Ralph David Abernathy. It was written in the 80's and is a biography/memoir of the civil rights movement by one of its founders. Abernathy was a pastor and a good friend of the Rev. Martin Luther King. He's a natural storyteller who had the benefit of reflecting on what they accomplished during the 60's. I'm really enjoying it.

The book was controversial when it came out, because Abernathy discussed the fact that King was not faithful to his wife. I have not gotten that far, but he mentions it in the introduction to the paperback edition and basically says that he was committed to telling the truth and that was part of the truth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,095,021 times
Default SO many great titles, here!

I seem to not be able to put down Nancy Horan's novel, Loving Frank, the account of the scandalous love affair between the world-renowned architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, and the wife of one of his clients, Mamah Borthwick, who at the time was married to Edwin Cheney.

Our neighborhood Book Club here has chosen the title for our next get-together the first week of July, and I am thoroughly enjoying Horan's work, told from the vantage point of Mamah, herself. One of the neighbors and I had invested in a copy of both Horan's Loving Frank, and TC Boyle's The Women, which covers the relationships with all of the women in Wright's eccentric life: his first wife, Catherine; Mamah; Miriam, and his last wife, Olga. I'd like to have finished both works by the time we get together as a reading group.

One of the things about Horan's work that resonates with me is Mamah Borthwick's courage, in 1909, to get out of an unhappy, unfilling marriage. Can't say I necessarily agree with how Mamah goes about doing it, but it so refreshing to read such an account of a strong woman, following her convictions. The novel has also sparked an interest in the Swedish writer, Ellen Key, and the Woman's Movement of the early 20th century.

Of course, Mamah's story ultimately ends tragically as she, and about 7 others, are brutally murdered by a hired hand at Wright's home and studio, Taliesen, in Wisconsin, which is also set ablaze at the time of the murders. I think that part of Mamah's story is covered in a book, The Prairie Murders.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 PM

363 posts, read 562,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Fell off the reading wagon for a little bit, but just finished up The Long Snapper by Jeffery Marx. Really good book!!!

I'm now reading The Kite Runner.
The Kite Runner is an excellent but difficult read. (Difficult meaning trying to survive living in Afghanistan).

A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author is another good read. I've read both books more than once.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:49 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post
The Kite Runner is an excellent but difficult read. (Difficult meaning trying to survive living in Afghanistan).

A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author is another good read. I've read both books more than once.
I loved both of these books. Very enlightening...really reinforces the idea that people are people regardless of culture. We have much more in common with each other than we realize. I also agree that parts of both books can be difficult to get through...some of the events that take place are truly heartbreaking.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,255,312 times
I just finished A Body To Die For by G.A. McKevett.

I love a lot of her work.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM

6,487 posts, read 8,281,234 times
Just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and I loved it.

Currently reading Trial by Fire by J.A. Jance and it isn't too bad.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,618,856 times
Just finished 3 in a row by Peter Straub (Mystery, The Throat and Lost Boy Lost Girl) and not sure what I want to read next. Probably won't make up my mind until I pull something off the shelf and start to read. There are a few newer ones I wish I could get, but don't have the funds right now. (don't bother suggesting the library - I have no car available during the week and the closest library is about 2 miles away - much too far to walk in Las Vegas heat.)

Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,095,021 times
Finished Nancy Horan's Loving Frank the other night, and am hoping my friend/neighbor will hurry with reading TC Boyle's The Women. To kill some time while I wait for Boyles's work, I spent part of the afternoon yesterday, looking for biographies of Mamah Borthwick, or the other women in Frank Lloyd Wright's life, including his mother, Anna, who had much to do, it seems, with who Frank became, including an architect.

I am most interested in finding Wright's autobiography, if it is still available in print. It would be a nice companion to books of his designs that my husband and I have collected, plus being able to see what he says of himself, and compare/contrast it with what others have written of him. Horan is honest enough to include much of the most-unflattering aspects of Wright's persona in her work about the relationship Mamah Borthwick had with him from 1909 until her death in 1914.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM

16,798 posts, read 38,072,562 times
The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence For Evolution by Richard Dawkins

Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,290,615 times
I am reading Solar by Ian McEwan. Its just great...no surprise there, Ian McEwan is fabulous. Great story and some very, very funny scenes. I don't want it to end.

Just finished The Help, another great read If you haven't read it, you might want to put it on your reading list. Can't wait to see if there will be a sequel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books