Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2021, 06:15 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,618 times

Advertisements

Getting into manga and just started the first book of Seven Deadly Sins and enjoying it so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 08:53 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 5 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,272 times

Old 09-23-2021, 06:06 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I recently started Another Marvelous Thing by Laurie Colvin. I wish I could remember who recommended it to me. I add books that I'm interested in to my Goodreads list, but often forget why I added it. I'm enjoying so if the recommendation came from someone here, could you please raise your hand?

I just read that and she was a wonderful writer. Taken from us far too soon.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:11 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Just finished "Family Life" by Akhil Sharma https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...64-family-life

This was a 4.5 star read for me.

"I had never seen hot water coming from a tap before. In India, during winter, my mother used to get up early to heat pots of water on the stove so we could bathe. Watching the hot water spill as if water being hot meant nothing, as if there was an endless supply, I had the sense of being in a fairy tale, one of those stories with a jug that is always full of milk, or a bag that never empties of food."

"The most important thing was to appeal to God. Each morning, my mother and I prayed before the altar. To me the altar was like a microphone--whatever we said in front of it would be broadcast directly to God. When I did my prayers, I traced an om, a crucifix, a Star of David onto the carpet by pressing against the pile. Beneath these I drew an "S" inside an upside-down triangle, for Superman. It seemed to me we should flatter anyone who could help."

"Reading these books I had the feeling that I was being transformed. I felt like I was being connected to a world where stories were written and where they were studied. Feeling myself being connected, I had the sense that I was being taken away from my own life and brought into a world that was glamorous, where people did pleasurable things, where people did not worry all the time."

Old 09-23-2021, 09:45 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
I'm halfway thru "Eternal" Lisa Scottoline

"Elisabetta, Marco, and Sandro grow up as the best of friends despite their differences. Elisabetta is a feisty beauty who dreams of becoming a novelist; Marco the brash and athletic son in a family of professional cyclists; and Sandro a Jewish mathematics prodigy, kind-hearted and thoughtful, the son of a lawyer and a doctor. Their friendship blossoms to love, with both Sandro and Marco hoping to win Elisabetta's heart. But in the autumn of 1937, all of that begins to change as Mussolini asserts his power, aligning Italy's Fascists with Hitler's Nazis and altering the very laws that govern Rome. In time, everything that the three hold dear--their families, their homes, and their connection to one another--is tested in ways they never could have imagined.

As anti-Semitism takes legal root and World War II erupts, the threesome realizes that Mussolini was only the beginning. The Nazis invade Rome, and with their occupation come new atrocities against the city's Jews, culminating in a final, horrific betrayal. Against this backdrop, the intertwined fates of Elisabetta, Marco, Sandro, and their families will be decided, in a heartbreaking story of both the best and the worst that the world has to offer.

Unfolding over decades, Eternal is a tale of loyalty and loss, family and food, love and war--all set in one of the world's most beautiful cities at its darkest moment."
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40204619-eternal

It's so good so far. I've read numerous books on WWII and this is very well written.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:00 PM

Old 09-25-2021, 05:00 PM

Old 09-26-2021, 06:13 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Default The Jewish World of Alexander Hamilton by Andrew Porwancher

I just finished reading The Jewish World of Alexander Hamilton by by Andrew Porwancher.I was asked to review this book and supplied with a copy of this book for this purpose.

Let’s just say this book is it extraordinary piece of work and I hope that it finds a somewhat wide readership. This book was written by a University of Oklahoma professor, and tackles an issue discussed but deftly avoiding conclusion by most scholarship about Alexander Hamilton.

In recent years, much ink has been spilled on the subject of this founding father. Among the many lengthy tomes about this extraordinary individual is Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. The Chernow book has resulted in an impressive Broadway you musical of the same name, written by Lynn Miranda.

Much previous scholarship has revolved around the question of whether Mr. Hamilton was a Christian. Many of the other founding fathers were “deists.“ other authors have placed Mr. Hamilton in this camp. This book speculates convincingly that at birth Alexander Hamilton may well have been Jewish. His mother conceived him and his brother out of wedlock at a time subsequent to her apparent conversion to Judaism in a previous marriage to someone variously called Mr. Lavien and/or Mr. Levine. Halachically this may well make her offspring Jewish. Alexander Hamilton did receive a Jewish education while living in Nevis. Because of his illegitimate birth, Anglican schools in Nevis were closed to him. The author posits that the only way he would have been accepted by a Jewish school is if the school considered him Jewish.

He arrived in New York after Saint Croix in the Virgin Islands, then a Danish colony, the island on which he was then living, was obliterated in a major hurricane (link) on August 31, 1772. After coming to New York, he matriculated at Kings College, which later became Columbia University. He traveled widely in Jewish circles. The book describes much of that intersection, as well as his involvement with Gershom Mendes Seixas | Congregation Shearith Israel, congregation leader and thefirst Jewish trustee of Columbia University. Parenthetically, Columbia was not to have a Jewish trustee again until 1928. He was also involved, according to the book, indirectly with Haym Salomon, A Jewish financier of the American revolution, see Haym Salomon - The Jew Who Saved The American Revolution.

In his role as a private role As a private practicing attorney, he made impressive and impassioned arguments on behalf of the ability of Jewish witnesses to testify credibly.

During his life, he apparently never practiced either Judaism or Christianity. What has to keep in mind the temper of the times, we are Jews, even though having the greatest rights of any country in America, we’re still subject to severe caricature and prejudice. Also, Jewish religious institutions were not particularly abundant or strong at this time.

One of my few quibbles with the book (I almost always have at least some criticism of books I read) is that the author never came up with the most obvious label for Alexander Hamilton; “Jewish adjacent,“ see I'm Not Jewish, But I'm 'Jewish-Adjacent.' This is a term that, in my view best describes Alexander Hamilton. Other examples of “Jewish adjacent“ historical figures include Ruth and Jethro from the old testament. Ruth what is the wife of a Hebrew. After she was widowed, she adhered to the Jewish people rather than to her pagan biological ancestors. Jethro was Moses’ father-in-law, and an important advisor to Moses.

I personally suspect that Hamilton, in his heart, was Jewish. Practicing Judaism in colonial America would not have been good for his ambitious career path, which included becoming a major military advisor to Washington and eventually his treasury secretary. As it is, as much as he is adulated today, he was an object of some suspicion during his life. Heck, New York City had the nickname of Hamiltonopolis to his influence. This was in part because of New York City’s loss of its role as the national capital.

Last edited by jbgusa; 09-26-2021 at 06:35 AM..

Old 09-26-2021, 03:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Started first book in series about the era of the true Trojan war called Golden Mukenai by Diana Gainer. It is a Kindle Unlimited if you participate. Historical accuracy seems very spot on but that also comes with a commitment to using names and other terms that are difficult to parse… some can be phonetically sounded out but don’t roll off the tongue easily. Also some aspects of the plot diverge from Homer’s tale which admittedly was not created in the original era.
I like historical fiction to be accurate but a writer and reader should share a common language.
A glossary would have greatly helped translate specific words…

Old 09-28-2021, 06:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Shirley Jackson "We Have Always Lived in the Castle." Awesome. Heard of it from this article, calling it the greatest opening paragraph of all time. Had to read it cover to cover after this.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a...ph-of-all-time
Yes, it was awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books