Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I'm reading 'Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" by Dr, Daniel G. Amen. I've seen him on our PBS station - what a character.

I have always been interested in our brains and am particularly interested in how to keep it young. Good stuff. He gives advice on supplements etc... to take.
Does he address people with brain or learning problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
I like ""Where are you?" by Marc Levy. It is an impressive story is there anyone who like it,too?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Does he address people with brain or learning problems?
Yes & no - I know, confusing. Here's a link that may help answer that question:

Meet Daniel G. Amen, MD – Amen Clinics (http://www.amenclinics.com/meet-dr-amen/ - broken link)

He addresses how to keep your brain healthy to help avoid things like alzheimers. He talks about how that "knock" in the head when you were young can affect you in ways know never realized. How we can change our brains, even at older ages, to improve memory, thinking and help with depression, weight issues (which in many cases is control). We can change our learning ability, IN SOME CASES.

He doesn't go into severe brain damage, sociopathic, or pyschopathic personality cures.

He has written many books about the brain and has been studying it for many years.

When I was in school, I studies to be a Sociologist with a Psych minor. Decided after 3 1/2 years that I wanted to change my direction to Pysch major, left school to earn some $$ with the intention of going back - never did. Still a big regret. I have always wanted to know what makes people behave as they do.

This book doesn't go into those aspects. It adresses what we can all do today to maximize brain health today and in the future. He addresses how we can help ourselves with control issues (weight) and what alcohol & drugs do to the brain.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:14 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,069 times
After having finished in few hours "The Girl with the Pearl Earring" I decided I needed something light so I am reading one of my son's "Young Bond" books although I was not expecting quite so much violence. But it is mindless adventure and it suits me at the moment.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
"While Europe Slept - How Radical Islam is Destroying the West from Within"

It's about the reluctance of the EU to admit in the name of fear of offending and peace ideals that they have gotten themselves into a growing situation supporting those within their own boundaries who seek to eliminate everything they hold dear.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times
Just read the novella by Stephenie Meyers: The Twilight series: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Nice read. It was interesting to read a story from the view of one of the 'baby' vampires. It only took me a few hours to read this book it was so short.
Now am reading Jodi Picoult's latest :House Rules".

Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,449 times
I just started "Committed" by Elizabeth Gilbert last night. I'm about 50 pages in and really enjoying it so far. If you're expecting "Eat, Love, Pray" part two, you will be disappointed, but she is a great writer and I have already learned a lot about the history of matrimony!

Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 PM

382 posts, read 302,688 times
Reading Bernard Cornwell's The last Kingdom the first book in the saxon series.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
I am ALMOST done w/ Michener's The Covenent. I have learned much about South Africa.

Also I finally finished Say You're One of Them. It is a compilition of short stories by an African writer. Each story is from the point of view of a child living through Africa's turmoils. I didn't find it to be superbly written, but the stories are so out of the ordinary & the viewpoint a unique one that it overcame the writing, IMO.

(now I'm going to be working again, & it will take me 2 more months to read another book!)

Old 07-06-2010, 01:01 AM

454 posts, read 482,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I know that they are other forums for this but I like the people on this forum. The people on the other forums are so annoying and boring. Then the sites with the people that aren't so boring are more immature then I am! Anyway, I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" and it's great so far. Below is my list of books I've read recently and yes, I liked them all.
1. Time Traveler's wife (chicklit)
2. Forever by Pete Hamill
3. The Red Tent (chicklit)
4. All of the Harry Potter Books (Loads of fun)
5. Middlesex
6. A Million Little Pieces
7. The 5 People You meet in Heaven
8. Yes, yes - The DaVinci Code
9. Memoirs of a Geisha

My all time Favorite book is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I can go on and on. But the the book I keep going back to over and over again is 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12. I love my kids but they drive me crazy
Read all the Harry Potter just for fun.
The five people you meet in haven
DaVinci and all the other books by the same author.
memoirs of a Geisha.
I loved The Kite runner and you would love a thousands Splendid Suns by the same author.
Could not stop reading it.
Just finished A God Who Hates by Wafa Sultan.
Left me with more questions.
I love books that open windows to other countries cultures etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books