Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2022, 08:33 PM

3,121 posts, read 1,010,081 times

Advertisements

I'm reading (again): "I Became My Heart" by Leo *****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 11:29 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Calhoun: American Heretic (Robert Elder) 2021.

Interesting, detailed biography of John C Calhoun. A good read for students of American history & American politics.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:50 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Just finished Bolton's book "The room Where It Happened." Sorry, I can't recommend it.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:07 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,130 times

Old 07-25-2022, 05:13 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I'm reading AOC by Lynda Lopez. Imagine! She faced a 10 term Democratic congressman in the Bronx, Crowley, and thru a Grassroots campaign, hammered him. He was so assured of another term, with his huge war chest of money, he didn't even bother to debate her.

I also read Ilan Omar, the Somalian congresswoman from MN. Her victory was even more amazing, given the Somalians in her district was averse to voting for her thinking women don't belong in politics. Another grassroots campaign, led by white Millennials from the University district, and she toppled a long term Democratic congresswoman in that district.

I love these kind of books! An underdog toppling some long-term centrist Democrat, beaten by a Social Democrat.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:01 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I really enjoyed that clip above of California Saga. I am not able to "rep" you.

I am in the middle of The Reading List.
It's pretty good. I think it was suggested here previously. It's a bit different, weaving various books (on a reading list found randomly) into the characters' lives. As it happens, I think I read all of them ( 7 or 8) except for one. (A Suitable Boy).
I don't remember some of them very clearly at this point but it's still a good reference point.

To Kill a Mockingbird, Rebecca, The Kite Runner, Life of Pi, Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, Beloved and A Suitable Boy

Old 07-27-2022, 06:38 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Christopher Columbus: The Hero (Rafael).

The author is like Cher & Prince, just a single name: Rafael. He's compiled a good, concise book addressing common misconceptions about & slanders against Columbus. Available thru Amazon.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:51 AM

831 posts, read 412,347 times
Finished Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-of-pilgrimage

This was a 3.5 star read for me.

"But even if I do look like someone who is nearly dead, there's not much I can do about it, he told himself, as he stared at the mirror. Because I really am on the brink of death. I've survived, but barely--I've been clinging to this world like the discarded shell of an insect stuck to a branch, about to be blown off forever by a gust of wind."

"Jealously--at least as far as he understood it from his dream--was the most hopeless prison in the world. Jealousy was not a place he was forced into be someone else, but a jail in which the inmate entered voluntarily, locked the door, and threw away the key. And not another soul in the world knew he was locked inside. Of course if he wanted to escape, he could do so. The prison was, after all, his own heart. But he couldn't make that decision. His heart was as hard as a stone wall. This was the very essence of jealousy."

Old 07-28-2022, 05:13 AM

Finished Whereabouts by Jhumpa Lahiri https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...24-whereabouts

This was a 4.5 star read for me. This book was very short (160 pages) and very entertaining pleasure read! Loved it!

"The idea of spending money, of buying myself something lovely but unnecessary, has always burdened me. Is it because my father would scrupulously count out his coins, and rub his fingers over every bill before giving me one in case there was another stuck to it? Who hated eating out, who wouldn't order even a cup of tea in a coffee bar because a box of tea bags in the supermarket cost the same? Was it my parents' strict tutelage that prompts me to always choose the least-expensive dress, greeting card, dish on the menu? To look at the tag before the item on the rack, the way people look at the descriptions of paintings in a museum before lifting their eyes to the work?"

"My beloved stationery store is in the heart of the city, in a beautiful old building built on the corner of two busy streets, I make a trip at the end of every year to buy my agenda, which happens to be my favorite purchase, and which has turned into a sort of rite, but apart from that I like to stop by nearly every week to pick up, who knows, a transparent folder, or sticky page markers, or a new eraser that has yet to wipe anything out. I poke through the colored notebooks and try out the inks of various pens on a piece of paper trampled by countless unknown signatures and urgent, scribbles. I ask for spare paper for my printer at home and boxes to organize my life's paper trail: letters, bills, jottings. Even when I don't need anything in particular I stop in front of the window to admire the display, which always appears so festive, decked with backpacks, scissors, tacks, glue, Scotch tape, and piles of little notebooks, with and without lines on their pages. I'd like to fill them all up, even that unwelcoming accounts ledger. Even though I can't draw, I'd like one of those sketchbooks, hand bound, with thick cream-colored paper."

Old 07-28-2022, 05:21 AM

Finished The Stranger in the Lifeboat by Mitch Albom https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...n-the-lifeboat

This was a 3 star read for me. It was a little meh for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books