U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 12:43 PM
Status: "I have read 151 books so far this year!!!" (set 5 days ago)

263 posts, read 90,946 times

Advertisements

It is a memoir in essays. I hope she's as funny as claimed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 10:28 PM

599 posts, read 145,041 times
" Ghost Stories of an Antiquary " by M.R. James .

A rather interesting and engaging compilation of James' earliest short stories , although it can be tedious to read for those who dislike the somewhat outdated writing style .

Also an excellent read for those interested in getting a sense of the mentality of British society as it existed during the time period these stories were written/published IMHO .

Old 08-03-2022, 12:32 AM

I am delighted that I found this book!!! I thought I had lost it!!! This book and another one were out of my vision for over a month!!! I would have had to pay the library $54.95 in fines!!! Praise the Lord!!!

Old 08-03-2022, 10:51 PM

This is the second book which had been missing. I am returning it tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:57 AM

13,599 posts, read 5,111,849 times
It's been a few pages since I was here last. Thank you all for the many books and comments. Some went directly to my to-read list

We've been on vacation and I really had a lot of time to read because it was too hot to move so much

I finally finished Tidelands by Philippa Gregory. I guess I'll give up her books now. It was okay but very very slow and (again) not to be compared to The Other Boleyn Girl or the Meridon trilogy. 3 stars...

Next on was The Identicals by Elin Hilderbrand. This was my first book by Hilderbrand and I was really stunned. A very quick read, very plastic characters who were likeable and I could connect with them from the start. I also liked the pros and cons for / against Nantucket / Martha's Vineyard. It made me want to pack my suitcase and go explore.
5 stars.

Afterwards I read Year One by Nora Roberts. I've read many of her romance novels when I was a teenager but this book was something completely different. Kind of post-apocalyptic interwoven with a little magic. I could have lived without the magical stuff and didn't like some of the characterizations but all in all it was a solid read. 4 stars.

In between I finished an audio book about a children's hospital in Berlin in 1911 (Zeit der Wunder by Antonia Blum). This was very interesting. 4 stars

In the mean time I started Palace Walk but quit after 50 pages. I don't like the writing style, the long sentences and complicated wording

Started reading The Dust that falls from Dreams by Louis de Bernières which is okay so far but I'm back home / at work and in summer there's usually not enough time to read

Old 08-04-2022, 07:59 AM

44,149 posts, read 27,252,509 times
some excellent nonfiction.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:42 AM

2,142 posts, read 2,110,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
It's been a few pages since I was here last. Thank you all for the many books and comments. Some went directly to my to-read list

We've been on vacation and I really had a lot of time to read because it was too hot to move so much

I finally finished Tidelands by Philippa Gregory. I guess I'll give up her books now. It was okay but very very slow and (again) not to be compared to The Other Boleyn Girl or the Meridon trilogy. 3 stars...

Next on was The Identicals by Elin Hilderbrand. This was my first book by Hilderbrand and I was really stunned. A very quick read, very plastic characters who were likeable and I could connect with them from the start. I also liked the pros and cons for / against Nantucket / Martha's Vineyard. It made me want to pack my suitcase and go explore.
5 stars.

Afterwards I read Year One by Nora Roberts. I've read many of her romance novels when I was a teenager but this book was something completely different. Kind of post-apocalyptic interwoven with a little magic. I could have lived without the magical stuff and didn't like some of the characterizations but all in all it was a solid read. 4 stars.

In between I finished an audio book about a children's hospital in Berlin in 1911 (Zeit der Wunder by Antonia Blum). This was very interesting. 4 stars

In the mean time I started Palace Walk but quit after 50 pages. I don't like the writing style, the long sentences and complicated wording

Started reading The Dust that falls from Dreams by Louis de Bernières which is okay so far but I'm back home / at work and in summer there's usually not enough time to read
Good to see you!

Very disappointing news about Tidelands. I've loved Philippa Gregory's books, especially the Meridon series. I enjoyed The Kingmaker's Daughter, too, as well as The Other Boleyn Girl. I'll probably pass on Tidelands as I trust your opinion.

The Dust That Falls From Dreams sounds like it might have potential for us historical fiction fanatics. The reviews on Goodreads are mixed but they've been that way for other books which I've loved. I'll probably give it a try as I really was enamored by Louis de Bernieres' Captain Corelli's Mandolin - one of my all-time favorites.

I've just finished Lisa See's Shanghai Girls and the follow-on Dreams of Joy. While they could be read as standalones, they're best read in sequence as it is a family saga. I must warn, though, that it is not for the faint of heart . . . the descriptions of the crimes against humanity and ensuing suffering that occurred during Mao Zedong's era are absolutely heartbreaking.

Next up is Edward Rutherfurd's China. Yep, I'm on a China kick and will keep the momentum going. I've been looking forward to this book for awhile so can't wait to get my chores done today and get started!

Last edited by movinon; 08-04-2022 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-04-2022, 11:04 AM

28,680 posts, read 12,180,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I just finished reading Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck. I made a decision, finally, to read a book by John Steinbeck, a major American literary figure. For whatever reason, my high school and college years he’s worked for never in my curriculum, despite might be a history major.
How reading The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I was inspired to read this book in the author's normal genre, fiction, by Travels with Charley: In Search of America. There is some controversy as to whether Travels was somewhat fictionalized and I see the point. This doesn't take anything away from these works. Grapes was controversial at the time it was released (link), and was burned in Kern County, California. Travels was controversial for other reasons. It seems that for a rather gentle man, he aroused some controversy.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:23 AM

28,696 posts, read 12,228,633 times
Three books.

Lightning Strike by William Kent Kruger (author of This Tender Land). Set in the 60's, a coming of age story set in Aurora Colorado. Nostalgic, with a backdrop of how Indians were treated in history.

The Sisters by Nancy Jenson. Follows a family tree for generations, and the ripple out affect of one afternoon misunderstanding had on the future descendants. Also nostalgic. Thank goodness the author included a family tree diagram, which I referred to at least 20 times while reading the book, just to keep everyone separate.

Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers. A newspaper reporter is given an assignment to follow up on a mother who believes she has conceived her daughter by Parthenogenesis, which means conceived without a male. Turkeys, and some lower animals do this, but never has it been proven in mammals. Set during the time before DNA. Interesting winding tale.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:07 AM

1,696 posts, read 739,290 times
Reading "Enigma" by British author Robert Harris published in 1995 by Hutchinson, London.

It takes place at Bletchley Park in wartime England. Bletchley was the code breaking center where German U-boat codes were decifered using captured Enigma machines.

It's a novel based on actual history, a thriller and mystery with a romantic element included.

The movie of the same title featuring Dougray Scott; Kate Winslet; Jeremy Northam; Saffron Burrows; Tom Hollander was released in 2002. One of my favorite movies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_(2001_film)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books