U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2022, 09:05 AM

2,147 posts, read 516,188 times

Advertisements

A departure from my usual fare...Status and Culture: How Our Desire for Social Rank Creates Taste, Identity, Art, Fashion and Constant Change by W. David Marx.

Next up...The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides on the advice of an acquaintance, who is reading it for a book club.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 10:37 AM

634 posts, read 239,834 times
Finished "The Witchfinder's Sister" by Beth Underdown https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...inder-s-sister

This was a 3 star read for me.

"I think of that night, riding through the lanes with their blind folds and corners, watching my brother ahead of me, running over and over all that I had seen him do. All that I had done at his behest. Remembering how Father had said to me once that the most fearful thing you could meet down a dark lane was another person. But it is not so, I thought, as we rode toward the Thorn: what you meet in the dark is yourself. And that is truly a thing to be feared."

"What you would like to hear, I think now, is that Matthew was evil, that he was a monster: but it is not simple as that; it cannot be. For certain he contained evil, as I do, as you do. In many respects we were similar; my brother and I, with our shared facility for taking words and changing their order to get the effect we want. Believe me, I think on our similarities; but I think, too, on how differently we chose. For it is a choice, I think, to close the heart, just as it is a choice to open it. It is a choice to look at what distresses you, and a choice to shut your eyes. It is a choice to hold tight your pain, or else to let it slip your grasp, set it free to make its mark upon the world. But I cannot, despite everything, I cannot wish that Bridget had left my brother to burn, on that winter's night, so many years ago. With Matthew, for certain it all goes back to birth, but not, I pray to a baby born of the devil. Not to a baby born with bad deeds sealed already in his heart."

Old 09-07-2022, 10:52 AM

6,551 posts, read 5,851,003 times
If you love animal stories (dogs and horses in particular)

Give ACE the Black Stallion a try... A mystery of why two horses run away in Wyoming.

I'm currently reading Bringing Jade Home... A dog who is lost in Yellowstone park.

I've read, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog... About a dog found on a river and adopted by a man. A wonderful story, but be warned... a sad ending.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:09 AM

101,107 posts, read 8,475,545 times
Book club this month is "Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness It is part fantasy & part romance, so a nice change from the recent books, enjoying it so far, but it is very long. I'm not sure I will have it finished by the time we meet up.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:38 AM

634 posts, read 239,834 times
Finished "White Fur" by Jardine Libaire https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32025142-white-fur

This was a 3.5 star read for me.

"This isn't new to her, being new in a house that isn't hers. Elise checked off many addresses on her journey. She saw herself in medicine-cabinet mirrors, she slept on couches covered in dog hair and took the dimes and pennies from under the cushions, she nipped a slug of orange juice before she left, she stepped out of buildings and looked left then right and simply moved in a direction so it looked like she had a destination."

"And she could almost sleep in the dunes. It's about being hardy as well as disobeying conventions like homes and buildings, rooms and beds, addresses, belongings. She left them; she unbraided those things from her identity. She signed off."

"The girls he knew who were on their way to conquer Wall Street, or run art galleries, or start PR firms--were they really going to improve the world so much? He grew up thinking you're supposed to work till your eyes bleed, be exhausted all the time, get money, get houses, get prestige, do good, be important, be busy, get on the board, run out of time, cancel lunch with friends, run out of gas. Why? Why did he believe them when they said that? Why did he believe anything they said?"

Old 09-07-2022, 11:50 AM
Status: "I have read 159 books so far this year!!!" (set 3 days ago)

266 posts, read 92,536 times
I reread this on Monday and Tuesday. I love honest writing. The authors interviewed black women in their thirties to their sixties. I resent that Ursula Inga Kindred and Mirranda Guerin-Williams have not published more than two books. I love oral history!!!

Even more reason to love it, it has scrumptious recipes!!!

Last edited by ladyvibrant; 09-07-2022 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-07-2022, 06:05 PM

4,302 posts, read 3,568,674 times
I finished The Good Lord Bird which was a very interesting bit of historical fiction. It was about John Brown the abolitionist . I had actually stopped in Harpers Ferry last year and other than knowing it had some isgnificance with the Civil War I really didn't know what it was about. It's a very pretty town and was pretty happening with tourists.
Anyway this book starts there and ends there. I did find some of it a bit too detailed with logistics but it was mostly very light reading (not the subject though).
I would rate it 4 stars.

I have started Next Year in Havana and am also finding it a very easy read. I'll report back when I finish it.

Old 09-07-2022, 06:17 PM

35,523 posts, read 55,103,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
A departure from my usual fare...Status and Culture: How Our Desire for Social Rank Creates Taste, Identity, Art, Fashion and Constant Change by W. David Marx.

Next up...The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides on the advice of an acquaintance, who is reading it for a book club.
Read review of that Status and Culture online—sounded very interesting
Does he focus on other cultures in other continents or just the US?

Old 09-07-2022, 10:12 PM

35,523 posts, read 55,103,893 times
Just finished #13 in Ruth Galloway series “The Locked Room” by Ella Griffiths
Takes place during initial CoVid time which factors into characters’ lives
Enjoy all of these books But some more than others
This one was 4 out of 5 stars

Old 09-08-2022, 11:26 PM

13,601 posts, read 5,117,101 times
Had do stop the audio version of Wolf Totem. It couldn't hold my interest for longer than 20%

Now started a German crime story by Urszula Poznansky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books