U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2022, 07:21 PM

30,110 posts, read 13,077,884 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading Jewish Lives matter (download link, public, not copyrighted) (Link to Italian reviewed version Jewish Lives Matter - Diritti umani e antisemitismo by Fiamma Nirenstein, and ISBN 978-965-218-162-6. A close friend did recommend it. Both he and I believe the book is in serious need of editing. Nevertheless, the book makes some great points. For example, near the end, at page 98 "They indeed hold in their hands the key to their own salvation, which is the ultimate answer to anti-Semitism: to accept themselves and not be afraid of being Jewish, and to respond blow by blow to the calumnies hurled against them." The point of pride in Judaism cannot be overstated. It was first made to me in 10th grade when I was meeting, for almost the first time, the friend who lead me to the book. Those depths of those feelings are difficult and awkward to plumb. More so for a 10th grader, 50 years ago, than for a practiced, honed writer.

Another, that hints at the roots of the problem of anti-Judaism: "The origin of the problem is always the same: the mysterious impulse that for three thousand years has regarded Jews as a special guest on this earth – different, lucky because full of their identity and unlucky for the same reason."

In between the nuggets of gold there are paragraphs and pages of wasted text, that could more accessibly be read in Commentary Magazine. When Goodreads adds it, I will give it a solid three stars; worthwhile, but a bit of a slog.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 07:29 AM

25 posts, read 17,399 times
Been bingereading Kurt Vonnegut lately, lotsa great stuff: "Mechanical Piano", "Cat's cradle", "Slaughterhouse Five". Can highly recommend

Old 09-14-2022, 07:05 PM
Status: "I have read 9 books so far this year!!!" (set 4 days ago)

330 posts, read 112,655 times

I browsed the library catalog and learned of this book. It's a collection of short stories. Pleasant enough.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:59 AM

4,447 posts, read 3,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Reporting back that I finished Next Year in Havana and while I definitely enjoyed reading it, I couldn't really rave about it. I mean, it's an engaging read which is always nice, and there were historical and geographical references which definitely helped provide context and inform, the plot was a little questionable.Still overall I 'd give it 3 stars.

I just started Bettyville (at about 20% mark) and it's a very good read so far. I do enjoy when it's not "work" or I have to push myself to read. This is so far pretty effortless. It came highly recommended.
I finished Bettyville. It was a very enticing read, really a memoir, but very well done.
It was the author's journey dealing with an aging parent with dementia, as well as going home, and all sorts of growing up personal issues. It was handled very well.
I would give it between 4 and 5 stars.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:09 AM

3,057 posts, read 872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Read review of that Status and Culture online—sounded very interesting
Does he focus on other cultures in other continents or just the US?
Okay, I'm about 20% in, and Status and Culture reads more like a textbook than anything else. I happen to enjoy the genre, so the book is maintaining my interest, but it may not be to everyone's taste. It's not a gossipy take down of the American social class structure as was Fussell's Class: A Guide Through the American Status System. It's more like the assigned text for an Intro to Sociology course in college, and its focus appears to be only the United States.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:40 PM

17,648 posts, read 29,817,264 times
I have just started "The Kite Runner", but sadly I bought the pocket size book by mistake from Amazon,

the print is too small for em, even with reading glasses, plus the book is like the economy size to hold as well, and not very comfortable.

So I had to re-order the "large print" hard cover from Amazon.....**sigh****

Old 09-16-2022, 07:01 PM

3,057 posts, read 872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have just started "The Kite Runner", but sadly I bought the pocket size book by mistake from Amazon,

the print is too small for em, even with reading glasses, plus the book is like the economy size to hold as well, and not very comfortable.

So I had to re-order the "large print" hard cover from Amazon.....**sigh****
I have not read The Kite Runner, but I have read Hoisseini's second novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns. It was wonderful but also heart-wrenching. Haunted my thoughts for a very long time.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:04 AM

336 posts, read 221,178 times
Finished reading Carnegie's Maid. It was surprisingly a better read than I anticipated. Very good! It is a fictional story that included the Carnegie family of Pittsburgh and took you to that time and place in history where the Carnegie's made their wealth.

Old 09-17-2022, 09:36 AM

7,213 posts, read 4,054,895 times
I've been doing a deep dive into the West Memphis 3 case and am currently reading Damien Echols's book Life After Death. It is amazing how well written and thoughtful and wise it is. From a disadvantaged troubled youth, to unspeakable conditions on Death Row, to the life he has now, it's really quite fascinating and admirable. In the book one gets more of a full picture of his life and relationships that aren't addressed in videos and interviews. He is very well spoken in person, too. Highly recommended.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:30 PM

17,648 posts, read 29,817,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I have not read The Kite Runner, but I have read Hoisseini's second novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns. It was wonderful but also heart-wrenching. Haunted my thoughts for a very long time.

yes, I too read that book not to long ago, that's how I found this one.
"Splendid Suns" was one of my favorite books.
It wasn't a happy book, it was more sad, upsetting and and disturbing at times,

BUT,

none the less, it was a very, very good book.

While reading it, I actually felt like I was in Afghanistan.

I agree, very heartwarming how the bond between the two wives had evolved over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books