Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2022, 07:10 AM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 1 day ago)

449 posts, read 197,130 times

Advertisements

I finished this mini book yesterday morning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 02:54 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
I'm reading Laptop From Hell by Miranda Devine. I'm only about 10% of the way into the book, but already have a little sympathy and understanding of Hunter Biden's actions.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:43 AM

30 posts, read 14,741 times
I'm reading The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams for the second time.
There’s a lot to like about this book. It’s fun, it’s surprisingly smart, the writing is good, and it is off-the-wall in a way that makes it unlike anything else. It's one of those feel-good books for me. Anyway, it will be an excellent introduction to my next-to-read Dirk Gently series...

Old 09-20-2022, 04:48 AM

17 posts, read 6,633 times
I just completed When We Were Bright and Beautiful by Jillian Medoff. I feel it was well written.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:27 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I am reading Fortnight in September and finding it a very sweet, delightful read. I'm only about halfway through, but it's about a family going on vacation (for a fortnight) and at least so far, it's just a cozy British charmer.
Sometimes these are just what's needed.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:12 PM

831 posts, read 412,347 times
Finished "Trashlands" by Alison Stine https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56383016-trashlands

This was a 3.5 star read for me.

"Coral had been born into plucking, born in Scrappalachia (Mr. Fall said it had been called Appalachia without the "scrap" once.) The old states that made up the region stretched from what was now the border of The Els--short for The Elites, the coastal cities that still had semiregular power and newspapers--all the way down to the edge of The Deep, or Deep South. In the middle of the country were The Flyovers, overgrown farmland and old manufacturing plants whose empty shells rose out of fields."

"Appalachia already had scrap, junkyards and compounds. But there was room in the woods and mountains, in the rivers, for more. Appalachia had miners, people used to digging out a living. That kind of work doesn't wash off, Mr. Fall said. Appalachia had scrappers, people who knew how to reuse. They had scavengers, used to foraging, hobbling meals together, to stretching and skimping and hoping for the best."

"That was the thing about the world: you could no longer predict it. You could no longer assume you could take from it what you had always taken--water and energy and shelter and food--and expect it would not ask you for anything in return. That deal was off the table."

"Leaving the trailer, she noticed two of the tires had cracked. She would have to replace those. She made a note to ask Coral to search for tires for her. Her clothes had holes, her tires had holes, even her shoe had a hole; she could feel the ground as she walked. Everything wore out at the same time. That was the law of poverty, Mr. Fall said."

Old 09-21-2022, 01:21 PM

831 posts, read 412,347 times
Finished "Us Against You" by Fredrik Backman https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...us-against-you

Compared to "Beartown" this one was pretty lackluster. This was a 3 star read for me. I will go on and read the third book in the series "The Winners" when I can get my hands on it.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:44 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I finished Fortnight in September and have to say it was way more than a cozy read. It was so well done. It surprised me how it started out as a bit of fluff but it had so much substance to it. It was a very "easy" read, and the writing was beautiful and the characters so complete. It had come recommended so I thought it would be good, but it was great.
A 5 star read for me.

I just started Her Hidden Genius - another one by Marie Benedict. I am enjoying it ok, but so far at the very beginning , it's not drawing me in as well as her others. But we shall see.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Call me crazy but I didn't realize that The Journey of August King, one of my all time favorite movies, was based on a book by John Ehle. So I got into those and just finished the Journey of August King and The Landbreakers (both excellent) and am now reading A Time of Drums (also excellent). I love these books because they focus on a time and place that not a lot of books are written about (plus I think they are well written) - the Appalachians between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. A Time of Drums is actually about an officer in the southern Army during the Civil War. "Winter's Bone" is also based on a book by John Ehle (made into a movie) - and it's also very good.

I think these books are fascinating because they highlight a region I've been sort of around but never a part of, if that makes sense. I am intrigued by the Appalachians and the people who live there.

I ordered The Road by John Ehle and will read that one next.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:44 AM

3,735 posts, read 2,560,555 times
The Toys of He Man and the Masters of the Universe (2021)

700+ pages of pictures, backstory, and factoids regarding all the different lines of He Man toys over the last 40 years. Great encyclopedic resource for fans of the cartoons and/or toy collectors. 700+ page hardcover, this thing is heavy as Hell too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books