Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2023, 12:12 PM

823 posts, read 403,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just started Cloud Cuckkoo Land by Anthony Doerr (he wrote All the Light You Cannot See). I didn't know what to expect because the reviews are excellent overall, but several readers said it was just way too many story lines, way too many words, way too many characters, way too many descriptions..... However, I'm enjoying it so far (page 48) and look forward to picking it up each evening!

The timeline is massive and weird - 1500s, present day and some time in the future. I am catching on the the thread that is tying these eras together and enjoy the characters that have been introduced so far. Doerr is a talented, ambitious storyteller and I just hope I can keep up with this massive story! More to come!
I just finished All the Light You Cannot See and I actually enjoyed Cloud Cuckoo Land so much more! Loved the book and gave it 4.5 stars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 05:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,004,438 times
My current book is Into the Raging Sea by Rachael Slade. It's an in depth look at the sinking of the S.S El Faro during Hurricane Joaquin in 2015. It's an excellent but infuriating book.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:43 PM

878 posts, read 612,836 times
I just completed reading "Fantasyland", How America Went Haywire: a 500 year history. Its author is Kurt Andersen.

This book explains how the influences of dreamers, zealots, hucksters, and superstitious groups shaped the USA's tendency toward a rich fantasy life.

The author cites individuals such as P. T. Barnum and Donald Trump in perpetuating conspiracy theories, self-delusion, and magical thinking. He writes that the 'believe-whatever-you want' fantasy is deeply imbedded in our DNA.

Andersen explores whether the great American experiment in liberty has gone off the rails.

Recommended reading.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:50 PM

50,143 posts, read 63,575,256 times
Kristin Hannah, Summer Island. Just the sort of book I like….no thinking, no learning.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:59 AM

823 posts, read 403,094 times
Finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-we-cannot-see

This was a 4 star read for me.

"Can you see this? ask the doctors. Can you see this? Marie-Laure will not see anything for the rest of her life. Spaces she once knew as familiar--the four-room flat she shares with her father, the little tree-lined square at the end of their street--have become labyrinths bristling with hazards. Drawers are never where they should be. The toilet is an abyss. A glass of water is too near, too far; her finger too big, always too big."

"What is blindness? Where there should be a wall, her hands find nothing, a table leg gouges her shin. Cars growl in the streets; leaves whisper in the sky; blood rustles through her inner ears. In the stairwell, in the kitchen, even beside her bed, grown-up voices speak of despair."

"Her hands move ceaselessly. gathering, probing, testing. The breast feathers of a stuffed and mounted chickadee are impossibly soft, its beak as sharp as a needle. The pollen at the tips of tulip anthers is not so much powder as it is tiny balls of oil. To really touch something, she is learning--the bark of a sycamore tree in the gardens; a pinned stag beetle in the Department of Etymology; the exquisitely polished interior of a scallop shell in Dr. Geffard's workshop--is to love it."

Old 01-07-2023, 05:28 PM

39 posts, read 26,158 times
I'm currently reading"Say Nothing: A True Story Of Murder And Memory In Northern Ireland." by Patrick Radden Keefe

&

The Boy Who Was Raised As a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's

Old 01-08-2023, 06:40 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,382,842 times
Oranges are not the Only Fruit was definitely quite different - and not at all what I expected. I'd say I'd give it 3.5 stars and I do think it would be a good book to discuss.

I just read The Only Woman in the Room and thoroughly enjoyed it. I kept thinking what a life this woman led. I really knew nothing before and am just in awe. (It's about Hedy Lanarr). I do wish it continued a bit further along in her life, but it was great. a 5 star read for me.

Old 01-08-2023, 11:45 AM

26,648 posts, read 26,600,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just read The Only Woman in the Room and thoroughly enjoyed it. I kept thinking what a life this woman led. I really knew nothing before and am just in awe.
I didn't realize how much historical fiction that author (Marie Benedict) writes. Or that this is the pen name of Heather Terrell. I recently read her book The Personal Librarian and enjoyed it (even more than this one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Terrell

Old 01-08-2023, 03:28 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,233,062 times
I am reading the Cassidy Project by Christopher Cartwright
I work on a cruise ship so I was intrigued by this one be liking it so far!
Also reading a Lonely Planet Alaska guide as that's where I'll be all spring and summer for the first time and can't wait!

Old 01-08-2023, 03:46 PM

4,712 posts, read 4,382,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I didn't realize how much historical fiction that author (Marie Benedict) writes. Or that this is the pen name of Heather Terrell. I recently read her book The Personal Librarian and enjoyed it (even more than this one).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Terrell
Wow. I have read several of Marie Benedict's books, and did not realize it was her writing name and that she has written under another name. Live and learn!

I read

Carnegie's Maid
The Only Woman in the Room
Lady Clementine
Her Hidden Genius

I plan to read Personal Librarian.

I've never read any of her other books. So prolific and a relatively young woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books