Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2023, 03:19 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times

Advertisements

El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency by Ioan Grillo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 12:02 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Just started City of Thieves by David Benioff -- so far I'm enjoying it.

During the Nazis’ brutal siege of Leningrad, Lev Beniov is arrested for looting and thrown into the same cell as a handsome deserter named Kolya. Instead of being executed, Lev and Kolya are given a shot at saving their own lives by complying with an outrageous directive: secure a dozen eggs for a powerful Soviet colonel to use in his daughter’s wedding cake. In a city cut off from all supplies and suffering unbelievable deprivation, Lev and Kolya embark on a hunt through the dire lawlessness of Leningrad and behind enemy lines to find the impossible.
I have to say, this was one of my favorite reads so far this year, right up there with Project Hail Mary. It's a sometimes brutal, often graphic and sometimes humorous book with a heart-wrenching ending. A four-star read for me.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:21 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Just finished "West with Giraffes" Loved it. About to start "Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe"

Old 03-14-2023, 12:41 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

just started but it's making a good case.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I have to say, this was one of my favorite reads so far this year, right up there with Project Hail Mary. It's a sometimes brutal, often graphic and sometimes humorous book with a heart-wrenching ending. A four-star read for me.
I felt the same way about “City of Thieves” when I read it more than a year ago
Was really hoping would shop up in a movie but no luck so far
And I guess it is shows the Russians in a more (or less) favorable light, it will take a lot longer to get it made after the Ukraine invasion…

Old 03-14-2023, 05:29 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I felt the same way about Cloud Cuckoo Land! Amazing depth and breadth for an author to tackle! I almost feel like the struggle to get through the first bits was part of the journey for me.

Will check out Measure of a Man - sounds intriguing.
I agree, now that I am about halfway through. But pieces are 'coming together' and i find myself almost gasping that Doerr has managed to stitch this together so brilliantly. I also love the characters, even Seymour, who I hope meets a different end than the one I almost expect. (no spoilers for those who may be reading it). And my heart is breaking for Konstance as well.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:36 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
I am reading Origin Story: A Big History of Everything by David Christian. It is the inspiration for a thread I OP'd, Diverse Creation Stories (hint they are all unsatisfactory for same reason), which has had 18 views and two poll responses besides mine. One of the poll options which was selected was "Post your opinions (even if you answer one of the provided options)", but no matching responses.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I felt the same way about “City of Thieves” when I read it more than a year ago
Was really hoping would shop up in a movie but no luck so far
And I guess it is shows the Russians in a more (or less) favorable light, it will take a lot longer to get it made after the Ukraine invasion…
I LOVED City of Thieves and agree that I really thought it would be made into a movie - especially given that the author, David Benioff, is the producer of Game of Thrones and Kite Runner.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:03 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I am reading "We all Fall Down" - Nic Sheff.

Since reading "Beautiful Boy" and "Tweak"
this is what happened after "Tweak".............

I am enjoying it.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:34 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I agree, now that I am about halfway through. But pieces are 'coming together' and i find myself almost gasping that Doerr has managed to stitch this together so brilliantly. I also love the characters, even Seymour, who I hope meets a different end than the one I almost expect. (no spoilers for those who may be reading it). And my heart is breaking for Konstance as well.
Afterthought: Actually, I feel connected to all these characters ... Omeir, Anna. what a tale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books