Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2023, 05:59 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times

Advertisements

Just finished Everything I Never Told You byCeleste Ng.
I enjoyed her other books..."Little Fires...." and "Our Missing Hearts" and was eager to read another.
But this one is one of the worst books I've read in a long time.
Absolutely nothing, important or inconsequential, was believable.
I read to the end waiting/ hoping for some redemption but it was even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 11:11 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Finished Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...y_Legs_and_All

This was a 3.5 star read for me.

"No, I won't, said Spoon, with a sob in her voice. What good is a spoon that nobody eats with? To be eaten with is--is all that I exist for. Through her tears, her private longings had unintentionally surfaced. The others could sense the extreme sensual pleasure this dainty utensil had enjoyed in the jelly, in the ice cream--and in the mouth; forever being slipped into soft, sweet substances, then licked and sucked affectionately and repeatedly, followed by a bath in warm bubbly dishwater."

"They talked about building a house near Seattle somewhere; a roomy, rustic lodge on one of those evergreen hills, if they could find one that the timber companies hadn't skinned alive. There, with her eye on the ball, she would paint. She'd paint and paint and paint. She would dedicate herself to...well, she'd have to call it "beauty", for want of a better word. She wouldn't be sentimental about it, or self-righteous, or even spiritual and pure. And she wouldn't get defensive when ridiculed or misunderstood. Beauty she would not carry like a banner, nor would she take refuge from the world in it like a hermit in a shack. Beauty would just be her everyday thing."

Old 03-15-2023, 12:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Just finished Everything I Never Told You byCeleste Ng.
I enjoyed her other books..."Little Fires...." and "Our Missing Hearts" and was eager to read another.
But this one is one of the worst books I've read in a long time.
Absolutely nothing, important or inconsequential, was believable.
I read to the end waiting/ hoping for some redemption but it was even worse.
I recognized the title and knew that I had read this one, but it was so meaningless that I couldn't remember one single thing about it. Bleh.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Read series of about 9 books by same author David Healey about snipers—one in the European theater after D Day who then rejoins in Korean War and one in the Pacific theater—both Army not Marines—interesting to know that the US didn’t really have a program to train snipers until sometime in the Korean War whereas the Japanese and Germans and Russians were much more organized and invested in training/using snipers

I don’t usually read books about combat but they were fairly interesting…the author had done good research and used contrasting POV from Japanese or German soldiers—
The soldiers in the Korean War were given a thankless task in utterly horrible conditions—worse than Stalingrad in some ways

Old 03-15-2023, 05:53 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Now reading first in series about the Spanish intrusion into American southwest—the Spanish Bit series by Don Coldsmith
Begins before the tribes have acquired horses and shows how that factor generated so much change so quickly in various ways

Don’t know how many I will read but enjoy historical novels set in this period

The main character in #1 is a young Spanish aristocrat who is separated from his Army group of explorers—
He seems more open minded and willing to see value in the Indigenous tribe that find him when he gets separated from his group and suffers from concussion than most Spanish characters in this genre… (I think they are Comanche because they call themselves the People.
Because they have no exposure to Europeans they are friendly and inquisitive…those attitudes/ times change though
when hostility will show up in the books just have to read to see

Old 03-15-2023, 06:45 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Finished Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...y_Legs_and_All

This was a 3.5 star read for me.
I really enjoyed this book. It was a book club read for me, and my first Tom Robbins book. Our discussion was wide-ranging and fascinating. I don't have the book handy but I remember loving the part of the story about the restaurant near the United Nations co-owned by a Jew and an Arab. A four-star read for me.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
I've just started my April book club read -- Finding Baba Yaga by Jane Yolen. Interestingly enough, Baba Yaga came up in City of Thieves which I just finished. My first verse/novel -- it'll be interesting.

Finding Baba Yaga is a mythic yet timely novel-in-verse by the beloved and prolific New York Times bestselling author and poet Jane Yolen. A young woman discovers the power to speak up and take control of her fate―a theme that has never been more timely than it is now…

"You think you know this story.
You do not".

A harsh, controlling father. A quiescent mother. A house that feels like anything but a home. Natasha gathers the strength to leave, and comes upon a little house in the wood: A house that walks about on chicken feet and is inhabited by a fairy tale witch. In finding Baba Yaga, Natasha finds her voice, her power, herself....

Old 03-16-2023, 10:46 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I really enjoyed this book. It was a book club read for me, and my first Tom Robbins book. Our discussion was wide-ranging and fascinating. I don't have the book handy but I remember loving the part of the story about the restaurant near the United Nations co-owned by a Jew and an Arab. A four-star read for me.
The only other one I read of his was Still Life with Woodpecker and I remember I really liked it. He is such an entertaining writer. I do plan to read his other books as I really love entertaining reads

Old 03-17-2023, 03:08 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
While not quite as good as The Nickel Boys , which was 5+ stars and Winner 2020 Pulitzer Prize Winner, Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead is another good read.
I realize I hadn't read The Underground Railroad, so am off to that.
I really congratulate an author that can write consistently well about such diverse subjects.

Also just finished another Marie Benedict...Her Hidden Genius....always reliably enjoyable.
Have been ignoring Lady Clementine but have that in queue.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:59 AM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
I've been in such a book funk this year, everything I've read has been so meh.

I'm about halfway through Things We Do in the Dark and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. So happy to finally be out of my slump!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books