Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,788,851 times

Advertisements

Reading Daemon by Daniel Suearez - a thriller about a cyber murderer, but it's more than that - it's about technology gone awry, and so far very fast paced and totally believable IT wise.

Every computer in existence has Daemons running.............(you've all had emails returned by Daemon Mailer, right?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,596,438 times
just started the newest janet evanovich..had to stop reading my brad thor. Our library only lets us have new releases for 2 weeks with no renewal.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM

377 posts, read 873,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I read a book called The Cheating Curve. It was okay. I just got annoyed by the author's constant reference to designer labels to describe what the characters were wearing. WE GET IT! The people are wealthy and spend a lot of money on their clothes.
This is called product placement, just like in movies .
You see a brand, the author, more likely than not, got paid to mention it.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 PM

122 posts, read 196,118 times
Just started J.R. Wards unforgettable lady. Monday I start a new book for my book club. Will The girl with the dragon tattoo..

Old 08-07-2010, 06:49 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,134,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Just started "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". We'll see if it lives up to the hype.
Me too and me too. I had it on the "hold" list at the library but there were about a zillion people in front of me so I just picked up a copy from Barnes and Noble. Started it last night and I'm about 70 pages into it. Not hooked yet...

Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,718,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoLight View Post
This is called product placement, just like in movies .
You see a brand, the author, more likely than not, got paid to mention it.
I was beginning to suspect she was being paid to mention the brands.
I kept flipping back to the picture of the author and I kept thinking to myself, "I highly doubt SHE buys these items. WHY does she keep mentioning the brands?!"

It wasn't a bad book, the constant mentioning of brands just got on my nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
just started the newest janet evanovich..had to stop reading my brad thor. Our library only lets us have new releases for 2 weeks with no renewal.
I work in a library and tell people, "It's only 10 cents a day if it's late. If you only have a few days worth of reading to go, don't worry yourself sick about getting it back on time."

If a book is on hold, it can't be renewed. Books can only be renewed once.

The other library system lets items be renewed about 5 times which is nice and you can renew it AFTER it's late.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,596,438 times
Our library fines are at least 20 cents a day. Regular book loans were 3 weeks with the opportunity to renew once. However, they just changed the policy back to 2 weeks. Because of budget constraints, they can't buy enough copies of the books, so now we have to read faster!LOL
I do agree that if I am reading a book and not quite done, I don't care about paying the fine, it is worth it!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Me too and me too. I had it on the "hold" list at the library but there were about a zillion people in front of me so I just picked up a copy from Barnes and Noble. Started it last night and I'm about 70 pages into it. Not hooked yet...
It took me a while to get into Dragon Tattoo but when it grabbed me it really grabbed me. I could not wait to read the next two. Larsson was an exceptional writer. Lisbeth Salander is probably the most interesting fictional character I have ever "met."

Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM

29,586 posts, read 33,998,565 times
The Swedish adaptation of Dragon Tattoo is on DVD, with the next ones soon to follow. It was really well done.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,788,851 times
The friend who recommended the "girl with" series is into all things Swedish and speaks/reads the language - at the time he recommended them they weren't available in translation yet. I need to get the Tattoo one so I can start reading the series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books