Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2023, 07:01 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

James Lee Burke "A Private Cathedral."
This book has it all. Highly recommend.

Edit: "Sleepwalker" by Bojhalian was pretty good, too. I love to read, have I mentioned that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 07:51 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
A Furious Sky (Eric Jay Dolin)

Saw this book mentioned in our thread here. A 500 year accounting of hurricanes in America. Interesting subject, starting with Columbus's early (& unique) deciphering of hurricanes.
I will say I found the author's moralizing take on Columbus kinda lame, predictable, and selectively unfair (he gives Governor Ovando a complete pass on his colonial sins).. but he ultimately gives Columbus his due for understanding hurricanes before his other European colleagues. Book seems well-written, and I'm lookin' forward to more.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,596 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I just finished two excellent novels:

Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. Winner of a lot of literary prizes. A mixed race family, children living with grandparents, largely narrated from the perspective of a 9 year old boy. Really full of heart and spiritual.

Signal Fires by Dani Shapiro. Opens in 1985 with a car wreck involving the fatality of a high school senior. And then the book follows the family, and others on the street where the wreck occurred, through the years. Relationships that can't be coincidence. Also very spiritual.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:59 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
A Furious Sky (Eric Jay Dolin)

Saw this book mentioned in our thread here. A 500 year accounting of hurricanes in America. Interesting subject, starting with Columbus's early (& unique) deciphering of hurricanes.
I will say I found the author's moralizing take on Columbus kinda lame, predictable, and selectively unfair (he gives Governor Ovando a complete pass on his colonial sins).. but he ultimately gives Columbus his due for understanding hurricanes before his other European colleagues. Book seems well-written, and I'm lookin' forward to more.
I read that in the last month. Here's what I had to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I just finished reading A Furious Sky: The Five-Hundred-Year History of America's Hurricanes by Eric Jay Dolin. I will give this book 3.5 stars.

A Furious Sky is a thrilling page-turner, and made me look forward to coming home from work early to read. I am quite the weather buff and history buff, having been in my high school's weather club. The book focused on something I didn't know much about, both the meteorological history of knowledge of hurricanes and their historical impact. On the latter, I was aware, through reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow and The Jewish World of Alexander Hamilton by by Andrew Porwancher, of the indirect impact of a major hurricane, sending a Founding Father to these shores from the hurricane-devastated St. Croix. I wanted to, and did, learn more. A key quote, without spoiling the book, from Edward R. Murrow:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward R. Murrow
"There it is, [the eyewall] ... thousands of feet, as high as Everest. ... What a beautiful sight! We're in an amphitheater surrounded by clouds. It looks like a lovely alpine lake surrounded by snow."

"In the eye of a hurricane you learn things other than of a scientific nature. You feel the puniness of man and his works. If a true definition of humility is ever written, it might well be written in the eye of a hurricane.”
Now, as usual, the quibbles. Mr. Dolin, in his Epilogue, recites uncritically the mantras about global warming and climate change. Does every article or book that touches weather or climate history have to take this invitation? His political leanings were already clear; they didn't have to be pounded. And one unforced error; in his excellent discussion about Katrina he dates its first reference to 1992, not 2005.
In short, very good book. I give few a "five."

Old 09-04-2023, 06:13 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
We just read The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman for our book group. Apparently it's a representative of a genre called cozy mysteries. I don't read mysteries, but it was entertaining for what it was.

I took a break from Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo to finish it. I like Richard Russo, and you may remember the title from the Paul Newman movie of the same name. Recommended.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:59 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Signal Fires by Dani Shapiro.
I love Dani Shapiro's books; didn't know she'd written this.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:51 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Just finished reading American Ramble by Neil King Jr.

A man recovering from a life threatening illness decides to walk from his home in Washington DC to NYC via the Amish/Mennonite region of PA. I have to say reading the first chapter of the planning stage I was beginning to question whether I'd like it, I'm glad I stuck with it, an enjoyable read. There's a lot of Revolutionary/Civil War history in the areas he walked through and I'd done a fair amount of motorcycling through the parts of PA and NJ he walked through so it held my attention.

Now waiting for my turn on the local library's reserve list for Daniel Silva's latest: The Collector
He's become one of my favorite writers and I'm looking forward to reading this book.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:54 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,141 times
I just finished Coworker by Freida McFadden and gave it 4 stars as the twists for this mystery just got me good!
Currently reading Caribbean Affair by Nick Thacker another mystery and this one set on a cruise ship which is what I work on

Old 09-05-2023, 12:22 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
James Patterson & David Ellis Invisable. A very good read, although gory. I was surprised at the ending. That does not happen very often.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:25 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Not Cool (The hipster elite and their war on you). Greg Gutfeld.

The subtitle basically says it well. Gutfeld's funny and insightful take on the petty snobbery of cliquish Hipsters (& basically other adjacent Left wingers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books