Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2023, 04:48 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Finished Glinda of Oz

Read and finished Unsinkable by Abby Sunderland

https://www.amazon.com/Unsinkable-Yo.../dp/1400203082

Got to admire her inability to frustration.

Now reading Dark Star by Alan Furst
https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Star-Nov...%2C1863&sr=1-1
(rather a boring book, speed reading it to be done with it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 05:20 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,411,133 times
The Color Purple

by Alice Walker

Old 12-30-2023, 04:26 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mon-copperhead

I finally got my hands on this one, and then... I was invested in it at first, but the more I read the less invested I became. Read to the 60% mark and then finally gave up on it. I love humor in a book, but the humor in this one felt so contrived to me, it just didn't work for me. I got so turned off by it that I threw in the towel. I know I am soooo in the minorty on this one!!!

Old 12-31-2023, 10:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mon-copperhead

I finally got my hands on this one, and then... I was invested in it at first, but the more I read the less invested I became. Read to the 60% mark and then finally gave up on it. I love humor in a book, but the humor in this one felt so contrived to me, it just didn't work for me. I got so turned off by it that I threw in the towel. I know I am soooo in the minorty on this one!!!

Oh - now I really want to give this one a try. I am often the odd man out on book reviews that get crazy love from other people (Lesson's in Chemistry, Crawdads...) so I'm curious where I'll fall with Demon Copperhead.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:52 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Well I loved Demon. I thought Lessons in Chemistry was very good, but not the way people were raving about it. I did like Crawdads a lot........but I loved Demon.
So yeah, I 'll be curious to see what you think of it!
Some others that come to mind-------

I liked Gentleman in Moscow but did not rave about it. I did love the Lincoln Highway.

I loved The Heart's Invisible Furies.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:53 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Oh - now I really want to give this one a try. I am often the odd man out on book reviews that get crazy love from other people (Lesson's in Chemistry, Crawdads...) so I'm curious where I'll fall with Demon Copperhead.
Yes, will be so curious to hear your thoughts. I don't know what's up with Oprah's book club selections lately.

I also did not finish her #100 selection Hello Beautiful but I know others loved it.

I know you weren't thrilled with her #102 selection Wellness (I haven't tried that one yet)

Will see how I do with her #101 selection The Covenant of Water (when I can get my hands on it)

Also haven't read Lessons in Chemistry yet, so will see on that one too...

I can relate, I am often the odd man out on book reviews too!

Old 01-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Abide With Me by Elizabeth Strout.

I really loved it. Funny, I wouldn't have kept reading it after the beginning if I'd had something else to read while staying with family over Christmas, so I was kind of stuck with that book.

About 1/2 way through, the characters had been developed enough to all gel, and the story's nuances could begin to take off. I really like nuanced relationships - where you can see inside everyone's head, omniscient reader, to have a clearer idea of why they acted the way they did. Clever.

Old 01-01-2024, 04:41 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,799 times
^^ She also wrote Olive Kitteredge, one of my favorites. Such deep and interesting characters and relationships. Olive was turned into a mini-series that was very well done and played by Frances McDormand, starting out with her preparing to kill herself out in the woods until she's interrupted by some kids out playing and changes her mind. They did a great job with casting all around.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:11 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 8 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,639 times

Stephanie Land writes exquisitely. I read her literary debut, Maid, which kept me enthralled.

If you want a memoir written by a woman which will compel you to achieve and make sound decisions, read Maid, followed by Class by Stephanie Land.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:35 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I have just finished "The Little Liar", oh, that was a good book, large print for these eyes was wonderful.

I have now started Ann Napolitano - "Hello Beautiful", so far I like it, but I had also like her book, Dear Edward, which a lot of posters here did not.

I enjoyed it none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books