Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2024, 05:51 AM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times

Advertisements

I hope none of us fall at the mercy of poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 08:21 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
^ I read that book, very interesting and depressing

Old 04-02-2024, 03:30 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Waiting for "A Good Hard Look"
I just finished A Good Hard Look. One of the more unusual books I've read. It's historical fiction, with the life of author Flannery O'Connor featured. It was NOTHING like Dear Edward; I can't believe that the same author wrote it. Napolitano is a unique writer.

https://historicalnovelsociety.org/r...ood-hard-look/

Old 04-05-2024, 07:46 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

very good so far.
Quote:
An inspiring survivor of Mao’s Cultural Revolution in China makes a passionate case that history is eerily repeating itself as the Woke Revolution spreads across America.

Xi Van Fleet lived through the horrors of the Chinese Cultural Revolution as a schoolgirl. Forced to the countryside with other young Chinese for re-education after high school, she later escaped communism and found freedom and new a life in America. But more than 30 years later, Xi disturbingly sees signs of the same Cultural Marxism that ravaged her birth country of China threatening to destroy the America she now calls home.

​This is her dire warning to the United States.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:09 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Mao's America..
very good so far.
Looks interesting. Thanks for mentioning..

Old 04-06-2024, 08:52 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
The Return of the Light (Carolyn Edwards)

A brief collection of cultural legends & myths from early cultures, explaining how the world received its light (American Indian, Viking, Polynesian, etc).
Book has cool cover art..

Old 04-06-2024, 09:36 AM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Just finished $2.00 a Day by Edin & Shaefer, who documented some real-life families living in extreme poverty around America in 2012.

Two thumbs up for the research and writing of the subject matter. It was interesting and somewhat shocking to read about the living conditions of some of the poor in modern day America. Donating plasma for cash, collecting scrap metal, and (for women) resorting to prostitution in exchange for food. Some of the details were cringe-worthy, and as someone who has always been in a lower income bracket I can relate to some of the struggles of making ends meet, but with one major objection: stop having children you can't afford to raise.

Two thumbs down for the authors' Conclusion with "solutions" in the back of the book, all of which circled back to "spreading the wealth around" and letting the government step in, and none of which mentioned birth control or reproductive education, like teaching and molding young people to learn a marketable skill before they start pumping out litters. Nothing in life results in a quicker path to poverty and financial hardship, than having kids too young and too soon.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:20 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I have just started "All the broken places" John Boyne.

Seems to be a going back and forth.

Gretel is 16, then Gretel is 61, I'm getting the hang of the chapters now. on page 63 but I am finding it a bit interesting as to where it is going, she refers to the place where they used to live and why she had reasons for living in the place she has now been living in for the past 60 or so years.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:33 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Just finished $2.00 a Day by Edin & Shaefer, who documented some real-life families living in extreme poverty around America in 2012.

Two thumbs up for the research and writing of the subject matter. It was interesting and somewhat shocking to read about the living conditions of some of the poor in modern day America. Donating plasma for cash, collecting scrap metal, and (for women) resorting to prostitution in exchange for food. Some of the details were cringe-worthy, and as someone who has always been in a lower income bracket I can relate to some of the struggles of making ends meet, but with one major objection: stop having children you can't afford to raise.

Two thumbs down for the authors' Conclusion with "solutions" in the back of the book, all of which circled back to "spreading the wealth around" and letting the government step in, and none of which mentioned birth control or reproductive education, like teaching and molding young people to learn a marketable skill before they start pumping out litters. Nothing in life results in a quicker path to poverty and financial hardship, than having kids too young and too soon.
I read this book, also, in 2020. I agree with people not having children they can't afford. I am relieved that I don't have children. At this point, I would not be able to afford a meaningful life for myself and my child.

Old 04-07-2024, 06:23 PM

34,994 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Default First Strike: The Exclusive Story of How Israel Foiled Iraq's Attempt to Get the Bomb by Shlomo Nakdimon

I just finished reading First Strike: The Exclusive Story of How Israel Foiled Iraq's Attempt to Get the Bomb by Shlomo Nakdimon. First Strike was not well-reviewed on Goodreads. There was criticism that it "dragged" and of the translation from Hebrew. I am giving the book "Five Stars" regardless. I am giving the book "Five Stars" regardless. I consider it a thrillin page-turner.

The author well makes the point without saying so directly that "diplomatic efforts" are useless against a determined enemy. Iraq was bound and determined to get "the bomb" and obliterate Israel. In the prevailing atmosphere of the late 1970's and early 1980's, oil could buy anything, notwithstanding the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and the International Atomic Energy Agency of the U.N.

Nakdimon well makes the case that should not need making; Israel and similarly advanced countries must defend themselves. Words are not enough.

I may write more in appropriate forums such as POC and Judaism.. This book is well worth reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books