Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2024, 03:14 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,560,555 times

Advertisements

Americanism. The Fourth Great Western Religion (Gelernter. 2007)

A brief overview of a certain strand of American patriotism, that has a religious zeal and pedigree.
It was authored at the height of neo-con Middle East policy, and seems to provide a very relevant insight in to American efforts to export American values, etc.
Good read so far..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 05:35 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I see I haven't updated in a few weeks and I've been reading a ton.
I read The Storyteller ( Dave Grohl) which was a nice read. I had heard several people recommend it highly and while I thought it was good and I am glad to have read it, I'd give it 3 to 3.5 stars. He does seem like a very nice and normal guy.

Then I read Hollywood Godfather My Life in the Movies and Mob. This was a great read, though I have a hard time imagining it to be accurate. The life and the stories were over the top. Then again, he did play Carlo in the Godfather and has many photos of himself with the celebrities he mentions........but the stories and the conspiracies oh my oh my. The Pope, The Vatican, Marilyn Monroe, JFK, you name it.If even 1/4 of the stories are true it's incredible. Not sure how to rate it but it's a good palate cleanser.

Then, I read These Is My Words:The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine,1881-1901, historical fiction that was just outstanding. It was so descriptive and informative and just a pleasure to read. I gave it 5 stars.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:36 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Finished up The Contamination of the Earth/A History of Pollutions in the Industrial Age/Francois Jarrige & Thomas Le Roux.

This book could almost drive you to suicide! It's that depressing!

All thru history what do we do with the waste, the chemical wastes, the nuclear wastes, car tires (2 million dumped off the coast of Florida and 2 million into the Mediterranean) high tech equipment waste and so on! And if you don't want to know, stay away from this book.

We now look out at clear blue skies and "clean" rivers and we think the worst pollution is behind us now. And the author cautions, the pollution of today is invisible, can't see it with your eyes, and it's as dangerous as the older pollution.

This had led me to buy 2 Rachel Carson books, one of which is The Silent Spring. They're on the way from Ebay. While being depressed, let's get more depressed!

Old 04-11-2024, 12:17 PM

3,118 posts, read 1,010,081 times
"The Rage Within, Anger in Modern Life", by Willard Gaylin, MD. (published in 1984)

Someone recommended this book on an online forum, a forum about chronic pain. I only read the first 15 pages this morning but it's very good.

The author was a psychoanalyst in private practice and a clinical professor at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, plus other positions.

I find this book very helpful, especially in our times. This is a book that, I feel, would help everyone. I read a little bit from it here and there, different pages, before I started to actually read all of it, from the start.
I'll read some more and come back here and comment if I find something really interesting and helpful to share.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:11 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,007,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Finished up The Contamination of the Earth/A History of Pollutions in the Industrial Age/Francois Jarrige & Thomas Le Roux.
Added to the list. Your reading picks always sound so interesting, you could practically carry this thread by yourself.

I went on an eBay book buying binge yesterday, my Read List was getting too long and I blame this thread for that! My library and local used bookstore had NONE of the dozen or so titles, but I found almost all of them on eBay for $10 or less.

I appreciate everyone's posts and book recommendations.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:39 AM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 1 day ago)

449 posts, read 197,130 times

I wonder if the author is still alive. He started freebasing cocaine with the prostitutes and allowing them to live with him. Goodreads lists this as his only book.

Old 04-13-2024, 06:15 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read These Is My Words:The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine,1881-1901, historical fiction that was just outstanding. It was so descriptive and informative and just a pleasure to read. I gave it 5 stars.
We read that years ago for our book group and everyone loved it (a rarity for that group).

Old 04-13-2024, 02:31 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
i recently completed reading "Tower of Lies", What My Eighteen Years of Working With Donald Trump Reveals About Him. Its author is Barbara A. Res.

She worked directly with Trump for almost two decades and had nearly unlimited access to him. Res gives us an insider's look as to how this ambitious real estate developer became the most divisive president in recent US history. Her interactions with him help the reader really understand what makes him tick and shows us why his claim to be a great dealmaker and savvy businessman is just a mirage. The author's almost daily contact with Trump during his formative years as a developer gives us a picture who he is away from the cameras.

Timely reading.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:55 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Just finished Killing The Witches by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard about the Salem Witch Trials. Interesting read but also a sad commentary about the ways those in power can pervert the words of scripture for what seems little else other than giving themselves power over others. Seems a perfect example of what prompted Gandhi to say: I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,628 posts, read 17,961,729 times
No Two Persons by Erica Bauermeister. Really lovely, well-written, compassionate. The premise is, that no two persons read the same book - that is, each person reading it gets something different from it.

Ms. Bauermeister also wrote "School of Essential Ingredients", one of my favorite books of all time about cooking classes that take place in the teacher's restaurant in the evening. Very heartfelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books