Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2024, 05:54 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,425,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No Two Persons by Erica Bauermeister. Really lovely, well-written, compassionate. The premise is, that no two persons read the same book - that is, each person reading it gets something different from it.

Ms. Bauermeister also wrote "School of Essential Ingredients", one of my favorite books of all time about cooking classes that take place in the teacher's restaurant in the evening. Very heartfelt.
I read The Scent Keeper by that author- very different and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It required, for me, a leap of faith but it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 05:55 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,910,036 times
I'm reading The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman, my book club's April choice. I'm finding it a very engaging and beautifully written novel.

Growing up on idyllic St. Thomas in the early 1800s, Rachel dreams of life in faraway Paris. Rachel’s mother, a pillar of their small refugee community of Jews who escaped the Inquisition, has never forgiven her daughter for being a difficult girl who refuses to live by the rules. Growing up, Rachel’s salvation is their maid Adelle’s belief in her strengths, and her deep, life-long friendship with Jestine, Adelle’s daughter. But Rachel’s life is not her own. She is married off to a widower with three children to save her father’s business. When her older husband dies suddenly and his handsome, much younger nephew, Frédérick, arrives from France to settle the estate, Rachel seizes her own life story, beginning a defiant, passionate love affair that sparks a scandal that affects all of her family, including her favorite son, who will become one of the greatest artists of France.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read The Scent Keeper by that author- very different and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It required, for me, a leap of faith but it was worth it.
I read that one too. I didn't "get" why the method worked, until the end, but it was so different and interesting.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:09 PM
Status: "I have read 27 books this year!!!" (set 11 hours ago)

450 posts, read 198,559 times

The author Tracey Thorn sings lead vocals in the duo Everything But the Girl. She wrote this book as homage to her friend Lindy Morrison who modeled an admirable example of womanhood. I bought my copy from Small World Books on the Venice Beach boardwalk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U56Ns66Qrb8

Last edited by ladyvibrant; 04-16-2024 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: I inserted the word 'duo'.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:06 AM

3,737 posts, read 2,568,017 times
Secrets of Seratonin (Carol Hart. 2008)

Overview of serotonin, all of its important, but still cryptic, functions. Very interesting.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:30 AM

832 posts, read 414,243 times
Finished Notes from the Burning Age by Claire North https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...he-burning-age

This was a 3.5 star read for me.

"I am the mountain. Is the mountain a living thing? Does the kakuy slumber in the stone? Is this world a breathing, conscious thing? Or is it madness, humanism run wild, to say that sentience can only be defined by humans, that a network of neurons surpasses in value an ecosystem that is fed from the blackest pit of the volcanic ocean to the highest bird in the sky. As if the mountain could ever be "merely" rock; as if the sky could ever be "merely" air, as if we were not all spinning creatures within the kakuy of the world, turning through the stars."

"We have feared dying more than anything. We invested so much energy, so much time, into fighting death, into refusing to accept that it would come. We painted ourselves to look young, injected chemicals both pointless and poisonous, lived in extraordinary pain and discomfort rather than let nature come, so that we spent perhaps almost as much time fearing dying as we did actually living. A Medj should not die this way; we do not fear change. But it is all right to be sad. It is human to be sad. But do not fear. Go -- live -- and do not be afraid."

Old 04-18-2024, 06:07 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
"Ernie's War-The Best of Ernie Pyle's WW2 Dispatches".

Old 04-18-2024, 06:10 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Just finished "Burn Book" by Kara Swisher who has chronicled IT and Silicon Valley (SV) for about 30 years.

This link will be good for 30 days.

Enjoyed the insights on the key SV players whose names are well known to us all.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:24 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
I send my dad at least one book per month. This month I sent The First Ladies about the friendship between and work together of Eleanor Roosevelt and Mary McLeod Bethune. He loved it. The same author (Marie Benedict) wrote about Einstein's wife - apparently she was a force behind the man. The Other Einstein. That one I'll send next.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:35 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Just finished "Burn Book" by Kara Swisher who has chronicled IT and Silicon Valley (SV) for about 30 years.

This link will be good for 30 days.

Enjoyed the insights on the key SV players whose names are well known to us all.
Very interesting read. Thanks for posting, as I am not currently subscribed to the NYT though I have been in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books