Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2024, 03:54 AM

839 posts, read 418,004 times

Advertisements

Finished The End of the Day by Claire North https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...end-of-the-day

This was a 3 star read for me.

"We are fighting for a better land, we are fighting for freedom. We wish only to have hope again in our lives, to have a safe place for our mothers, our children. We wish for justice. We wish for holidays. We wish to go walking in the sea and eat ice cream. We wish for antibiotics when our brothers are sick. We wish for a job that finishes at six o'clock in the afternoon. We wish to pay rent, to cook food with our own hands, good food, to taste cinnamon again. We wish to decorate our homes, and smell fresh paint, and be proud of the lives we have built. We wish to practise our beliefs, piously and in peace. We wish to know our neighbors, and play simple games, and read books, and watch the TV. Is this so much? Is this more than any man desires? Do you understand?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 04:44 AM

839 posts, read 418,004 times
Finished The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...he-bone-clocks

This was a 2 star read for me.

"I watch her fingers, her loopable black hair, how her face hides and shows her inner weather. This isn't lust. Lust wants, does the obvious, and pads back to the forest. Love is greedier. Love wants round-the-clock care; protection; rings, vows, joint accounts; scented candles on birthdays; life insurance. Babies. Love's a dictator. I know this, yet the blast furnace in my ribcage roars You You You You You You just the same, and there's bugger-all I can do about it."

"The main topic of conversation is the half-empty ration box, returned to us irrespective of age from the Co-op with a 400-gram bag of oatmeal bulked out with husk and straw, 200 grams of brown rice, 200 grams of lentil, 50 grams of sugar and 50 grams of salt, a packet of ten Dragon Brand teabags, half a small bar of DMZ soap, a tub of Korean detergent two years past its use-by date, a small bottle of iodine labeled in Cyrillic, and bafflingly, a Hello Kitty cola-flavoured eraser. What isn't used will become currency in future Friday markets, but today's ration box is the worst in six years since the system was introduced in the wake of the '39 crop failure."

"I wish I'd been born sixty years ago, he says." "Elephants, tigers, gorillas, polar bears...All the best animals've gone. All we've got left is rats and crows and earwigs."

Old 04-25-2024, 06:43 AM

26,796 posts, read 26,922,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"Hello Beautiful"

Put off reading it just because of the cover and the title.
But, because Dear Edward was so good I finally did.
Good example of "don't judge a book by it's cover.
Did you like it? I'm about a third of the way through, and finding it tedious. I loved Napolitano's other two books.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:19 AM

3,750 posts, read 2,582,997 times
Vulture Capitalism (Blakely. 2024)

A critique of contemporary capitalism.. including historical context, and adressing common misconceptions.
Okay so far..

Old 04-26-2024, 04:53 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,429,714 times
The Way of the Superior Man, by David Deida

Old 04-26-2024, 12:53 PM

26,242 posts, read 49,140,136 times
Default Character Matters by Jean Becker

Character Matters, And Other Life Lessons from George H. W. Bush, by Jean Becker who was his "Chief of Staff" after he left the White House.

We lost one of the great ones when he wasn't re-elected in 1992. I can only imagine the good stuff he had planned for the nation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:16 PM

18,486 posts, read 31,694,560 times
I am now reading "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" John Boyne who also wrote "All the Broken Places"
that I had just finished, only thing I should have of read them in reverse order, but it is done so I can't turn back time and I didn't know the books were even related until after I had started "Broken Places"

Old 04-28-2024, 02:16 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,246,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am now reading "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" John Boyne who also wrote "All the Broken Places"
that I had just finished, only thing I should have of read them in reverse order, but it is done so I can't turn back time and I didn't know the books were even related until after I had started "Broken Places"
Just finished "Nightcrawling"

Old 04-28-2024, 06:56 AM

26,796 posts, read 26,922,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I never knew that he wrote a sequel to this! I saw the film "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" before I read the book; both heartbreaking.

https://www.bookshelfdiscovery.com/b...-by-john-boyne

Old 04-28-2024, 09:29 AM

18,486 posts, read 31,694,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I never knew that he wrote a sequel to this! I saw the film "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" before I read the book; both heartbreaking.

https://www.bookshelfdiscovery.com/b...-by-john-boyne
I saw the trailer to "the Pajamas", then I was told that was the first book. I do want to see the movie also.

I had also read "the boy on top of the mountain", (by the same author), a while ago and had no idea he wrote the other two.
"weaves real-life figures and events into the fictional story of a boy named Pierrot Fischer, who becomes corrupted after falling under the direct influence of the Nazi leader, Adolf Hitler."

Only thing in reading "Pajamas" I kinda know how some of it will end, none the less I am really enjoying it. The characters are also in "Broken Places"

I read at night before bed and sometimes I have to stop myself and remember it is a school night and I have to get up the next morning......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books