Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2024, 10:12 PM
Status: "I have read 28 books this year!!!" (set 3 hours ago)

453 posts, read 203,793 times

Advertisements

I started this biography last week. I had read the name Candida Royalle in Internet articles discussing sexual well-being. I appreciated her opinions. She was born in 1950 and died in 2015. I had hoped with her carnal knowledge she would experience longevity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 05:55 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,051,588 times
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

I want to read a couple of books feature Mr. Hyde, so I went back to the original for a refresher. A darn good tale that, does not paint Dr. Jekyll in such a pristine, humanitarian light as the films did, IIRC.

Old 04-29-2024, 07:27 PM

35,810 posts, read 18,143,758 times
The Berry Pickers by Amanda Peters. Excellent.

The story begins in 1962, when a 4 year old indigenous girl from Nova Scotia goes missing on a berry farm in Maine while the family is doing their annual seasonal berry picking. This isn't a "who done it" - you learn very quickly that she's being raised by an upper middle class white family in Maine. The story goes from when the girl is 4, until she's in her 50's.

Really good. It's about the heartbreak of losing a child, the strong desire to parent a child if you have none, and what constitutes family.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:43 PM

3,702 posts, read 2,438,673 times
The Year Germany Lost the War: 1941

by Andrew Nagorski

Very interesting book on Hitler's beliefs in his abilities (often too high), miscalculations, and his dismissing expert advice.

A very historical book.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:04 AM

23,302 posts, read 29,167,778 times
I finally got around to reading Silent Spring/Rachel Carson. This book was read the world over, back in the 60's, and it launched Earth Day and EPA in this country. But be forewarned: Read the last 2 chapters first, for if you read through the horrid period of the 50's with the arial spraying of the country with all these dangerous chemicals you may be hesitant to eat anything after reading it.

To think they sprayed millions of acres in the south trying to eradicate the fire ants, and all it accomplished was the killing of livestock, fish in our rivers, birds, even crops. The birds would search for earthworms in the soil, not realizing the earthworms were poisoned with DDT. And wild animals would kill other animals to eat, and they were poisoned with DDT.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:44 AM

842 posts, read 422,008 times
Finished The Green Road by Anne Enright https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the-green-road

This was a 4 star read for me.

"They walked over to the hotel. On the last stretch of road, Emmet saw a woman afflicted with tiny lumps. They covered her from head to toe. Even her eyelids were lumpy, even the insides of her ears. Emmet had seen her before, and she always greeted him with the sweet, sad smile of a woman who is happy you have not thrown a stone at her. It was hard to know what the problem was. The lumps were under the skin, so they weren't warts, and there was no sign of infection so you couldn't -- even in your own mind --dose her with antibiotics and sleep contented. It was a parasite, perhaps, though not one he had ever encountered. It was a syndrome. An autoimmune thing. It was a biblical plague of boils. It was something genetic, because poverty wasn't enough of a curse, clearly, you had to have your own extra, personal curse, just to make you feel special."

Old 04-30-2024, 02:59 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,916,846 times
Just finished Blonde Roots by Bernadine Evaristo, a 3-star read for me. Would possibly have given it four stars if I could have kept up with the stories of unusually named characters. Amazon summary:

What if the history of the transatlantic slave trade had been reversed and Africans had enslaved Europeans? How would that have changed the ways that people justified their inhuman behavior? How would it inform our cultural attitudes and the insidious racism that still lingers today? We see this tragicomic world turned upside down through the eyes of Doris, an Englishwoman enslaved and taken to the New World, movingly recounting experiences of tremendous hardship and the dreams of the people she has left behind, all while journeying toward an escape into freedom. A poignant and dramatic story grounded in provocative ideas, Blonde Roots is a genuinely original, profoundly
imaginative novel.

Old 05-03-2024, 12:28 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 9 days ago)

2,049 posts, read 3,372,825 times
I'm reading an amazing book - almost finished - called "The Cyanide Canary: A True Story of Injustice,"
by Robert Dugoni and Joseph Hilldorfer. If you like books about law, trials, and the environment i highly recommend this. I was drawn to this because it's about someone who was hurt on the job, survived, but was never the same.

"A true story of good and evil, greed and its consequences, and an elusive quest for justice… Early in the morning on August 27, 1996, twenty year old Scott Dominguez showed up for an ordinary day at the fertilizing plant where he worked. By 11:00am, he was clinging to life, unconscious and suffocating from toxic exposure to cyanide in a tank that was supposed to contain only mud and water."

I had it on my bookcase and hadn't picked it up yet because i kept feeling that it might be boring. It's NOT. It's very well-written and keeps me glued to the pages. You will be angry of course at the guy who runs the companies, but it's all very interesting.

Old 05-03-2024, 12:30 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 9 days ago)

2,049 posts, read 3,372,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post

I started this biography last week. I had read the name Candida Royalle in Internet articles discussing sexual well-being. I appreciated her opinions. She was born in 1950 and died in 2015. I had hoped with her carnal knowledge she would experience longevity.
Are you on Goodreads by any chance?

Old 05-03-2024, 03:53 PM

35,328 posts, read 17,230,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Are you on Goodreads by any chance?
I'm not LadyVibrant but I am. If someone wants to find me there DM me since my user name is a closer variant of my real name than my name here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books