Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,609,153 times

Advertisements

5th horeseman by j patterson!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,083,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished The Kite Runner..wonderful book!

I am now struggling and I do mean struggling through The Road...
Most depressing book I've ever read..sigh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I, too, found The Road a trial, but it was worth the read in the end--just get past the first 10-30 pages and you find it gets not better but easier.
I am sorry to say that I have shelved The Road for awhile. I think that it shall have to wait for the sunny weather of summer to escape from my book shelf.

Depressing it is, njkate. I don't often put a book away after 30 or 40 pages, but The Road had to be put to sleep!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 PM

128 posts, read 307,125 times
I'm about to start Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Also, The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I am sorry to say that I have shelved The Road for awhile. I think that it shall have to wait for the sunny weather of summer to escape from my book shelf.

Depressing it is, njkate. I don't often put a book away after 30 or 40 pages, but The Road had to be put to sleep!
gemkeeper and njkate, I wholeheartedly agree. I read All the Pretty Horses a few years ago and that book, too, was quite depressing. I just finished The Kite Runner and Five Quarters of the Orange. I absolutely loved Five Quarters of the Orange[u]. I couldn't put it down. I don't know why I never read Chocolat, but bought Coastlinersthe other day.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:15 AM

13,355 posts, read 28,552,926 times
Quote:

It also reminds me of the old Mad Max movies with Mel Gibson..same concept

Old 03-21-2008, 12:53 PM

240 posts, read 1,280,343 times
I just last night began reading The Kite Runner and immediately felt drawn into the story. What a wonderful writer he is! Really looking forward to getting back to it later today.

Yesterday I received The Wall, and skipped through it, reading passages here and there, to get an idea of the author's style of writing. Looks interesting. Has anyone here already read it? I can't remember how it came to be recommended.

I pretty much figured that the subject matter of The Road was depressing, and frankly, that's one reason it has sat on my library shelf for over a year. There are definitely books that I will put aside if I find them objectionable. I never feel bad about doing that. Life is too short and there are far too many great books to read to suffer through something one doesn't enjoy. Lord knows we had enough of that while in school!

However, when I was younger I did sit through movies that I found quite disgusting, like "Mad Max" and "A Clockwork Orange." Nowadays, though, I won't do that. I walked out on "Hannibal" and walked around the mall while my husband sat it out (and enjoyed it!).

I'd just as soon not fill my mind with disgusting images and ideas. I really don't think it's healthy or helpful.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,352,882 times
Paullina Simons -- The Bronze Rider. I just can't stop reading even though I started Darkly Dreaming Dexter this week, too.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:29 AM

13,355 posts, read 28,552,926 times
Quote:

I did force myself to finish it yesterday..it didn't get any better

Old 03-24-2008, 03:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,563,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I did force myself to finish it yesterday..it didn't get any better
Congratulations on finishing it. It's a tough one. Although it didn't get better, I did think there was a glimmer of hope at the end. In fact, I recommend that anyone struggling to get through it go ahead and read the ending and I never usually do that. But I found it to be helpful in the case of The Road.

I'm currently reading The Golden Compass trilogy. I think it's really called His Dark Materials and I'm on the third book, The Amber Spyglass. I have some complaints about his writing style, but the ideas are intriguing. I don't want to get into a heated religious discussion, but would be interested in comments from others who have read it.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:36 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,019,298 times
I read The Road from the beginning and didn't cheat on the end, but perhaps that is a good recommendation.

I did read all of the Dark Materials--Pullman's trilogy, and rather liked them, or perhaps liked them enormously. We could start a thread to discuss them as I believe other members have enjoyed them and there was a great deal of discussion about the film in the Movies Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books