Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,843,660 times

Advertisements

Just finished:
One Day, by David Nicholls
It was superb. Started off a bit slow, but as it went on, I did not want it to end.

Just began:
Freedom, by Jonathan Franzen (yes, the guy who got in trouble with Oprah.)
So far it is a worthy successor to One Day.

I like relationship stuff, but I also like conflict and humor and there also must be sadness, because that's real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 AM

13,355 posts, read 28,559,660 times
Just finished back to back, The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson & In the Woods by Tana French

Just started The Likeness by Tana French

Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Freedom, by Jonathan Franzen (yes, the guy who got in trouble with Oprah.)
I haven't watched Oprah in a hundred years but she got ANOTHER author in trouble??? What happened?

I know what happened with James Frey (non-fiction vs. fiction), who I still absolutely adore, but now I'm curious what happened with Jonathan Franzen. (Ooooh, coincidence that both have JF initials???)

Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,214,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Just finished:
One Day, by David Nicholls
It was superb. Started off a bit slow, but as it went on, I did not want it to end.

Just began:
[U]Freedom[/u], by Jonathan Franzen (yes, the guy who got in trouble with Oprah.)
So far it is a worthy successor to One Day.

I like relationship stuff, but I also like conflict and humor and there also must be sadness, because that's real life.
I picked up Freedom Sunday and can't put it down. Lots of humor starting with the first chapter. Oh, the important decisions one must make. LOL. Freedom is Oprah's 2010 selection.
Simultaneously, I'm halfway through New York by Edward Rutherfurd. New York is a much easier read than Princes of Ireland.
I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. I didn't like it as well as the first book. It was too lengthy and repetitive.

Last edited by tigerlily; 10-12-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I haven't watched Oprah in a hundred years but she got ANOTHER author in trouble??? What happened?

I know what happened with James Frey (non-fiction vs. fiction), who I still absolutely adore, but now I'm curious what happened with Jonathan Franzen. (Ooooh, coincidence that both have JF initials???)
I had to refresh my memory, too.
Clip:
For those of you who have blotted the Franzen Unpleasantness from memory: nine years ago Oprah bestowed her Book Club Pick-dom on Franzen's "The Corrections." But he repaid her munificence with ambivalence, saying publicly that some of her book choices had been "schmaltzy."
Though he quickly apologized for his comment, the doors to The Kingdom of Oprah were slammed shut immediately, and he was un-invited to appear on her show.
But, in the spirit of the Farewell Season, Oprah has once again invited Franzen to sit down with her and talk book. And the Oprah book club "O" logo is already appearing on new new shipments of the novel.
Moraes on TV - Oprah forgives author Jonathan Franzen; gives his book her "O"

Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Clip:
For those of you who have blotted the Franzen Unpleasantness from memory: nine years ago Oprah bestowed her Book Club Pick-dom on Franzen's "The Corrections." But he repaid her munificence with ambivalence, saying publicly that some of her book choices had been "schmaltzy."
Though he quickly apologized for his comment, the doors to The Kingdom of Oprah were slammed shut immediately, and he was un-invited to appear on her show.
But, in the spirit of the Farewell Season, Oprah has once again invited Franzen to sit down with her and talk book. And the Oprah book club "O" logo is already appearing on new new shipments of the novel.
Moraes on TV - Oprah forgives author Jonathan Franzen; gives his book her "O"
Oh my gosh, I had heard NOTHING of this. What drama!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,584,541 times
Quote:
Clip:
Regardless of whether her initial un-invite was warranted, I have to say I enjoy his use of the word shmaltzy! And I'm now very interested in reading this book!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,788,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I finallly read Alas, Babylon. It was pretty good, it's coming up in my book club.

Leaving on a trip & taking Stolen Child by Keith Donahue with me...actually it will be my pick in my other book club! I've read it before, so this time I'm taking notes. It is very good.
Alas Babylon would make a great movie - better than The Road imo.

Just finished reading "Brother can you spare a Dime" by Milton Meltzer - non fiction regarding the Great Depression 1929-1933. Pretty sobering reading given the current economic situation. Wish it had been thicker.

Now reading "Deep Freeze" by Thom Racina, a story of an LA caught in the grip of "a meteorological anomaly which is transforming the entire West Coast into a frigid wasteland" - sub plot of a Manson Family like group using the situation for their own ends. Pretty good so far.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Regardless of whether her initial un-invite was warranted, I have to say I enjoy his use of the word shmaltzy! And I'm now very interested in reading this book!
I, too, find some of her book choices shmaltzy.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,843,660 times
Quote:
I, too, find some of her book choices shmaltzy.
This reminds me of our Oprah thread, Tigerlily.
I really appreciated what Bunjee said in post #31, but still I have enjoyed some of the books Oprah picked.

As far as Franzen's books, The Corrections needed more and better editing, but I still liked it, and so far I am really enjoying Freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books