Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,630,442 times

Advertisements

I am still plugging away at "atlas shrugged". I have it in paperback..so it is over 1000 pages, and the print is soooo tiny! I am really liking it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,597,507 times
I just started "Borderland: A Novel of Texas" by Edwin Shrake... I'm only about 50 pages in, it was recommended to me and I'm surprised how good it is. It makes me wonder about the true history.

sgresident: keep plugging away! There are a few very long monologues in AS but it's worth it by the end IMO.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,456,668 times
"ELENI"

I read this book about 20 years ago and just got a copy of it from Powell's. I think it's out of print, as Amazon didn't have it. I'm starting to reread it today. What I remember about this true story is the extraordinary and profound love a mother can have for her children. In Eleni's heart, this love proved unbreakable.

It's written by Nicholas Gage, who used to be a NY Times reporter, and tells the story of his mother's torture and murder during the Civil War in Greece.

I'm curious if any of you have read it and your opinions?

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 10-20-2010 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: wurdinus!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,960,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
"ELENI"

I read this book about 20 years ago and just got a copy of it from Powell's. I think it's out of print, as Amazon didn't have it. I'm starting to reread it today. What I remember about this true story is the extraordinary and profound love a mother can have for her children. In Eleni's heart, this love proved unbreakable.

It's written by Nicholas Gage, who used to be a NY Times reporter, and tells the story of his mother's torture and murder during the Civil War in Greece.

I'm curious if any of you have read it and your opinions?
This sounds like a truly amazing story!

By the way, although it's only available on Amazon for $25 -- and in Greek! -- it is available on Half.com for 75 cents (plus shipping) in hardback and paperback. I'm thinking of buying myself a copy.

ETA: Actually, there IS a paperback version of it on Amazon, for $10.17, but you can get a used one for one penny (plus shipping) from an Amazon reseller: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034...pf_rd_i=507846

ETA2: I just ordered one for myself. Thank you for the recommendation. It sounds like a fascinating "story".

Last edited by DawnMTL; 10-20-2010 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,277,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I just started re-reading "Into the Forest" by Jean Hegland. I've read the book twice a couple of years ago and it was quite good so now I want to see if anything can change my opinion
Thank you so much for mentioning this book. I was not familiar with it so I read about it on amazon. It sounds so good. I've ordered it. Can't wait to read it.

I really appreciate finding new books in this thread. Everyone is so generous with their knowledge of various books. I've read some really fabulous books that were mentioned in this forum.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,376,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thank you so much for mentioning this book. I was not familiar with it so I read about it on amazon. It sounds so good. I've ordered it. Can't wait to read it.

I really appreciate finding new books in this thread. Everyone is so generous with their knowledge of various books. I've read some really fabulous books that were mentioned in this forum.
Me too! I wouldn't have read some great books by Philippa Gregory or even the Twilight series, which I really enjoyed. I also started the Odd Thomas series b/c someone mentioned it here and today I ordered two more volumes on Amazone. This is a great thread.

Thanks to all who write down what they read and most of all what they think about it.

Thanks also for mentioning George R.R. Martin. His Song of Ice and Fire is a very good series!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,673,852 times
I'm reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I just read the second book and starting on the third. I read these previously up to the the fourth years ago. I thought I would start from the beginning before I ventured on to the fifth book.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM

9,364 posts, read 20,743,177 times
I started reading "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan in the last week. The story is about the plight of several aspiring farmers and landowners that came to the Great Plains initially during the late 1800s land grab, and continued in earnest into the 1920s. The 'plow up' of the land ensued, and mother nature hit back with a fury that has yet to be matched. The dust bowls of the 1930s exceed that of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, because the damage was sustained. If you think we are experiencing hard economic times now, it would be constructive to read this book to see what these settlers endured in places like Dalhart Texas, Boise City Oklahoma, and Liberal Kansas. I even plan, on my way driving to St.Louis, to make an extensive detour into this area, just to gain a better appreciation for it.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,456,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
This sounds like a truly amazing story!

I just ordered one for myself. Thank you for the recommendation. It sounds like a fascinating "story".
Dawn, it is truly a remarkable story. Eleni was one of the most heroic people I've ever read about. There was a movie about her story, but I've never seen it.

Thanks for the links & I'm so glad you ordered the book. LOL, yes, I know it was for sale - in Greek! The copy I got is used....I love Powell's. They have the most obscure books and can find absolutely anything for you. Plus, all the clerks have actually read books ~

Old 10-20-2010, 01:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,960,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Dawn, it is truly a remarkable story. Eleni was one of the most heroic people I've ever read about. There was a movie about her story, but I've never seen it.

Thanks for the links & I'm so glad you ordered the book. LOL, yes, I know it was for sale - in Greek! The copy I got is used....I love Powell's. They have the most obscure books and can find absolutely anything for you. Plus, all the clerks have actually read books ~
I noticed on Amazon that it was also a movie. But, of course, I prefer books so...

I'm definitely inspired by her heroism. (You'l understand my silly reasoning when you read my rep comment. )

I have a pile of books to read -- the pile is taller than I am, I think! -- and this is the type of book that, I know, I have to be in the right frame of mind to read. I'm definitely looking forward to it, though... if, for nothing else than to honor her life by knowing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books