Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times

Advertisements

I'm now reading A Time to Kill by John Grisham...I have about 100 pages left. After that I'm going to read The Third Option by Vince Flynn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Just finished The Protector's War by SM Stirling, and realise it's the second in a series caused The Change series - really liked this one so now have to get the first book and then the next in the series. If I like the 3rd book in the series I'll continue on from there.

It's an "alternative history" series, fantasy/scifi genre set mainly in the Willamette Valley region of southwest Washington state

Currently reading an anthology of short stories by another scifi writer, Cory Doctorow called Overclocked - stories of the future present

Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
I just finished V.C. Andrews Flowers In The Attic.

My husband bought this book for me after he heard good reviews about it. I wasn't sure if I would like it. Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. I'm still not sure if I like it. The story was disturbing, but I'm excited about finding the next book in the series.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM

12 posts, read 35,654 times
Currently slogging through the Wheel of Time series again. On book 9 right now. Had to reread it to remember all of the damn characters, and wanted to finish it now that the final book is released.

After that, I'll be picking up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, then I believe I'll try actually finishing Catch-22. I kept starting it then putting it back down. I'll get it this time.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I just finished V.C. Andrews Flowers In The Attic.

My husband bought this book for me after he heard good reviews about it. I wasn't sure if I would like it. Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down. I'm still not sure if I like it. The story was disturbing, but I'm excited about finding the next book in the series.
I first read this when I was about 13. I loved it, I read the series...over & over. By the time I was 18 I probably read it 20 times.

Last year I gave it to my daughter hoping to distract her from Twilight. I figured I'd read it again...though I expected to find it cheezy. Well, I enjoyed it just as much at 38 as I did at 13!!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:42 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I just started After You've Gone by Jeffrey Lent. I thought his previous books, In the Fall and Lost Nation were spectacular. I never got into A Peculiar Grace and so, didn't read beyond the first 30 or so pages, but I think I started it at the wrong time. Sometimes it's the right book but the wrong time. I will certainly try again in the future.

I also am sitting on The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. It won lots of awards and was named one of the best novels of the year by magazines such as Time and Locus and if anyone has already read it, I'd be curious to hear whether they liked it.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 PM

37 posts, read 41,687 times
I rec'mend anything by Twain or Shakespeare.
I have just finished 1635, in the Grantville timeline, and am working on www by Rbt Sawyer, while looking forward to the first volume of Twain's autobio.
The three authors I have reread the most are Edgar Rice Burroughs, although I outgrew him, and Robert Heinlein and Poul Anderson, who are still fresh after forty years.,
The two best books I have read lately are "The 1st Word: The Origens of Language" by Christine Keneally, which comes close to summing up our knowledge about knowledge, and "Doubt: A History" by Jennifer Hecht, the only history of philosophy I have read that understood what philosophy is about.
The two funniest books I have read, or at least the two that made me laugh the hardest when I finished, were John Barth's "The Sotweed Factor" and CS Lewis' "That Hideous Strength".
The two stories I have read that affected me strongest to tears were "Until We Have Faces" by CS Lewis and "The Murder of Christ" by Wilhelm Reich.
I must read the Time Traveller's Wife, and at least watch those Harry Potter movies, although I have heard the books are far better.

Last edited by Twain Shakespeare; 11-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im currently reading "The Help" I finally got it from the library after a 7 month wait yes folks I did type 7 months LOL !! when I went to the library the lady says to me good lord you have waited 7 months for this book I hope it is good . Yeah me too . LOL !!!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:34 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
I have read "The HElp" (loved it) and "Gurnsey Literary etc" (loved it, too) and "The Doctor's Wife" liked it but didnt love it.

Currently, I am reading "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Is it me? I am having a very, very hard time liking it a lot. It seems so full of names and events that, so far, are not terribly interesting. I have read about 35% of the book so far and its a struggle to keep going. Since it is such a run away best seller, there must be something I am missing. Any of you have that reaction?

When I finish this one, I am going to read "The Postmistress".

Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I have read "The HElp" (loved it) and "Gurnsey Literary etc" (loved it, too) and "The Doctor's Wife" liked it but didnt love it.

Currently, I am reading "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Is it me? I am having a very, very hard time liking it a lot. It seems so full of names and events that, so far, are not terribly interesting. I have read about 35% of the book so far and its a struggle to keep going. Since it is such a run away best seller, there must be something I am missing. Any of you have that reaction?

When I finish this one, I am going to read "The Postmistress".

I haven't read the book, but I have heard mixed reviews about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books