Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I got the guernsey potato peel pie society book and I hope I like it . I am also going to be waiting on my name is mary sutter -civil war era book about a woman trying to become a doctor seems like it has quite a few good reviews on barnes and noble and other book sites .
I'm interested in your opinion on that one...not sure if it's my cuppa tea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just started The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest
I'm going to be sad to see this series end

Haven't actually read any of those, I've been contemplating checking them out.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Just got a hone call rom my S/O.... he picked up the newest J.D. Robb book- Indulgence In Death for me. EXCITED ......... I'm a sucker for a good series

wow.... apparently I forgot how to type I was so excited!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:40 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I got the guernsey potato peel pie society book and I hope I like it . I am also going to be waiting on my name is mary sutter -civil war era book about a woman trying to become a doctor seems like it has quite a few good reviews on barnes and noble and other book sites .
I'm interested in hearing how you like the Guernsey Potato book. I read it for my book group and I was one of the few who didn't care for it. I didn't like the format, I felt the characters were very one-dimensional, and that the story itself was flimsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just started The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest
I'm going to be sad to see this series end
I just got the Hornet's nest from the library but I haven't started it yet. I loved the Dragon Tattoo, but I didn't care that much for the 2nd book in the series - The Girl Who Played With Fire. I felt it was crammed with obscure details that caused it to drag a bit and I started to lose interest in the story. I also think the translation for the 1st two books could have been better. I'll have to see about the 3rd.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
about halfway through THE HELP. Add me to the list of those who really really like it.
Thanks to you all for reminding me of it!!

Old 11-12-2010, 04:36 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Halfway through SM Stirling's Dies The Fire, the first book in his Change series. Having read the second first it's interesting to read the initial book in the series to see how the situations and characters in the second book came about. Then after this I have the 3rd in the series, while the second is still fresh in my mind.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:31 PM

37 posts, read 41,682 times
I have read some of Stirlings alterwhens. I liked his 21st century raj. Whats this one?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:41 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twain Shakespeare View Post
I have read some of Stirlings alterwhens. I liked his 21st century raj. Whats this one?
The Change series is mainly set in the pacific NW, the Willamette Valley region of Washington state specifically (though in the 2nd book some of the action takes place in England/Europe).

The Change itself is an unexplained phenomena that in an instant throws the whole world back to the Dark Ages. No electricity, no battery power, nothing electronic or digital works from that moment and added to which explosives no longer explode so no guns and combustion fails so no vehicles. Kind of like a global EMP.

The series follows various groups through the initial Change and the aftereffects to the world. It truly is an "end of the world as we know it" series.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
I read "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" and I couldn't get into it. I can't really put my finger on why but it wasn't as good as the first two books. Didn't hold my interest.
I have been reading Linda Gardner books. They are crime/mystery can't-wait-to-turn-the-page books.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Right now I am reading "Last Car to Elysian Fields" by James Lee Burke. It's a cop suspense and is very, very good! It would make a terrific movie!

I found it at the courthouse while waiting in a jury duty pool. Since I love Louisiana, this book drew my interest, so I kept it (shame on me). I may look up more of this author's books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books