Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 02:23 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times

Advertisements

I finally finished Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. I did not find it as engaging as I did The Pillars of the Earth and World without End, possibly because those books were set in a world far enough in our past as to make it unknown to us.

I liked how the book started because I enjoyed the way he was able to insert himself into the mind of a child (Billy). After that, it dragged a bit for me and then picked up again later. It is actually a pretty good refresher course on the First World War, with characters perhaps not being as clearly drawn due to the fact that it is plot driven, rather than character driven.

I did love the way he managed to describe the different ways the British, the Germans, the Russians and the Americans saw things.

What is rather depressing is that for me it made me think that the more things change, the more they remain the same and the entire course of history since then, not just including the Second World War but the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan seem simply to be an extension of an endless pattern of war with brief breathers in between by people who frankly aren't too sure what they are fighting for, but have fought too long to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
well just started the honey thief by elizabeth graver and will report back if I like it and even if I dont like it . Has anyone read this before ? and if so what did you think of it ?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finally finished Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. I did not find it as engaging as I did The Pillars of the Earth and World without End, possibly because those books were set in a world far enough in our past as to make it unknown to us.

I liked how the book started because I enjoyed the way he was able to insert himself into the mind of a child (Billy). After that, it dragged a bit for me and then picked up again later. It is actually a pretty good refresher course on the First World War, with characters perhaps not being as clearly drawn due to the fact that it is plot driven, rather than character driven.

I did love the way he managed to describe the different ways the British, the Germans, the Russians and the Americans saw things.

What is rather depressing is that for me it made me think that the more things change, the more they remain the same and the entire course of history since then, not just including the Second World War but the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan seem simply to be an extension of an endless pattern of war with brief breathers in between by people who frankly aren't too sure what they are fighting for, but have fought too long to stop.
Thanks for the synopsis and opinion of the book. It's a little pricey for download or even the hardback version at some stores. Maybe it'll come on sale by the time I finish the other book I'm reading. You're right about the "endless pattern of war". I've often heard the expression, goes something like, "those who fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it". Wish I remember who coined that phrase

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Thanks for the synopsis and opinion of the book. It's a little pricey for download or even the hardback version at some stores. Maybe it'll come on sale by the time I finish the other book I'm reading. You're right about the "endless pattern of war". I've often heard the expression, goes something like, "those who fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it". Wish I remember who coined that phrase
I love a good riddle.

Here's the answer: Google Answers: Who said "Those Who Forget History Are Doomed to Repeat It"?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
"Philosophy: Who Needs It?" by Ayn Rand.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
I'm starting Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer. I'm excited to read this!!! Has anyone read his newer one Tree of Codes?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,396 times
Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
Now I'm reading LizardSkin by Carston Stroud, a book I had on the shelf for years and was uninterested in reading...now wishing I hadn't left it on the shelf.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
East Of Eden by John Steinbeck

Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Just thought I would ask if anyone has read the elegance of the hedgehog ? just curious and if so how did you like it ?

I tried to read it. Then, after one chapter, I reminded myself that life is too short to waste on "tryin to get thru a book" when there's sooooo many other great books out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books