Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
I tried to read it. Then, after one chapter, I reminded myself that life is too short to waste on "tryin to get thru a book" when there's sooooo many other great books out there.
Ditto.

I may have given it two chapters, but not more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:33 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Just finished reading Sandra Brown's 'Rainwater'. A great read. Historical in many aspects as well as a classic love story. Highly recommend.

Haven't read that one yet, but really enjoyed her book "The Alibi".

Just finished a re-read ( yet again) of "Little Earthquakes" by Jennifer Weiner. Love that book!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle, which was recommended by someone on this very forum.

Aryn Kyle's haunting coming-of-age novel is the kind of book that you want to share with everyone you know. Twelve-year-old Alice Winston is growing up fast on her father's run-down horse ranch--coping with the death of a classmate and the absence of her older sister (who ran off with a rodeo cowboy), trying to understand her depressed and bedridden mother, and attempting to earn the love and admiration of her reticent, weary father. Lyrical, powerful, and unforgettable, The God of Animals is our must-read, must-own, must-share book...

Amazon.com: The God of Animals: A Novel (9781416533252): Aryn Kyle: Books

I'm only on page 50 or so -- I have a terrible head cold and my concentration skills are pretty much nil, so I'm napping instead of reading -- but I'm enjoying it VERY much when I'm awake.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Just started Mil Millington's "A Certain Chemistry". I don't mind reading humourists once in a while, as long as they're funny. If they stopl being funny, I can quit, and not miss anything.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Just thought I would ask if anyone has read the elegance of the hedgehog ? just curious and if so how did you like it ?
Yes. I read it all the way through. I had the feeling that it was a very funny book in it's original language, but was translated by a translator who had no sense of humor.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,809 times
I'm reading Mouse Tales-it's about the history of Disneyland/Disney World-complete with all the inside dirt....

Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Well I can tell you to skip the honey thief I struggled to get through the first few pages and nixed it . Id know you anywhere is awful as well not my cup of tea . so Im onto the library on Monday to pick up another book .

Old 12-09-2010, 10:54 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I'm reading Mouse Tales-it's about the history of Disneyland/Disney World-complete with all the inside dirt....
Is there a lot of inside dirt on Disneyland?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well I can tell you to skip the honey thief I struggled to get through the first few pages and nixed it . Id know you anywhere is awful as well not my cup of tea . so Im onto the library on Monday to pick up another book .
My instincts were right. Thanks. I'm reading a great book, Some things That Stay by Sara Willis.
Here's one review on it by Conn. Bookworm -"Fifteen-year-old Tamara's family moves every year. Her father is an artist, constantly seeking new things to paint. Her mother is an atheist who seizes every opportunity to teach Tamara and her younger brother and sister about the world and the things in it. All Tamara wants is to stay in Mayville, to finally be able to call a place home. The family across the street wants her to come to believe in God, and she is willing to give it a try, despite her parents' disapproval. When her mother is diagnosed with TB, her family's life is thrown into chaos. This novel is filled with characters whom I loved: Tamara herself, struggling with so many big questions; Mrs. Burns, whose teenage son died of leukemia; the Murphys, whose family life is so different from Tamara's. Lots to think about, lots to remember. An engrossing and touching story."
I'm also reading: Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books