Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 03:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I'm also reading: Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
LOVED Half Broke Horses.

And if you haven't read The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, please do. Heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. Simply awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
LOVED Half Broke Horses.

And if you haven't read The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, please do. Heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. Simply awesome.
Yes, I've read that. I'm glad to know Half Broke Horses is real good.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
I am putting aside Bloody Crimes in order to read some books I requested that came in from the library. I just put in these requests within the week, thinking they'd take awhile to come in, and here they are, at the same time!

So, onto reading The Help and Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void. The second one, by Mary Roach, is about space exploration. She's the same author who wrote Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I am hoping this one is more of the same!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I just finished (for the 15-ish time) Clan of the Cave Bear for book club.

Currently listening to The Thirteenth Tale & loving it!

Should be reading Their Eyes were Watching God for my other book club...but the dialog is irritating!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
SM Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time, the first in the Nantucket trilogy.........I'm sort of gathering that the "event" in Nantucket caused the "change" in the rest of the world in The Change series.

After this one I'll be going back to the next in The Change series, Scourge of God (once it arrives in my mailbox that is).

Reading both, I'm now left with a dilemma........what would be better/worse? To be cast backwards in time (WAY back) and have no "modern" resources available except what went back with you (as in the Nantucket series) or have the world devestated and changed forever around you, but you could at least scavenge SOME "modern" resources (as in the Change series).

Makes one think anyway - especially if you're a bit of a trying to be prepared for when the SHTF type person.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,902 times
Just read the last book in the Darkfever series by Karen Marie Moning "DreamFever".....now just waiting til January to find out who died. UGH

Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Reading two books: The Happiness Myth: The Historical Antidote to What Isn't Working Today by Jennifer Michael Hecht and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle, which was recommended by someone on this very forum.

Aryn Kyle's haunting coming-of-age novel is the kind of book that you want to share with everyone you know. Twelve-year-old Alice Winston is growing up fast on her father's run-down horse ranch--coping with the death of a classmate and the absence of her older sister (who ran off with a rodeo cowboy), trying to understand her depressed and bedridden mother, and attempting to earn the love and admiration of her reticent, weary father. Lyrical, powerful, and unforgettable, The God of Animals is our must-read, must-own, must-share book...

Amazon.com: The God of Animals: A Novel (9781416533252): Aryn Kyle: Books

I'm only on page 50 or so -- I have a terrible head cold and my concentration skills are pretty much nil, so I'm napping instead of reading -- but I'm enjoying it VERY much when I'm awake.
I just finished The God of Animals and HIGHLY recommend it. Very, VERY good book. Did I say VERY? Yes. VERY.

I'm going to start My Cousin Rachel (Daphne DuMaurier, who also wrote Rebecca).

Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Is there a lot of inside dirt on Disneyland?
Oh, yes. By virtue of the fact that it is a corporation there is plenty of 'dirt'.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,044 times
I'm currently reading True Blue and The Collectors, both by David Baldacci. I discovered him a few years ago when I read The Camel Club at a former co-worker's urging. I stayed away from his book before, because I didn't think books about the White House, CIA or FBI could be interesting, but now I'm hooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books