Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times

Advertisements

Still poring over, and reveling in, Irene Nemirovsky's novel, Suite Francaise. I need to get started on Marlen Haushofer's The Wall for our next Book Forum discussion, but I am not ready yet.

Reading, for me, is much like an excellent chocolate -- not just a good one -- but a chocolate that I want to let melt slowly in my mouth, and even when it has, I want that rich sensuous flavor to linger for yet awhile longer.

I still have a few chapters of Brokaw's BOOM!, and it is nice that this is a work I can put down, and pick up again later. I really enjoyed looking at the 60s through the eyes of the female 'movers and shakers' of the time.

I am also working on Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, and so far, I have done OK putting it down, and picking it up again. The bookmark shows I am halfway through the work now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 04:09 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri and John Adams authored by David McCullough.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:29 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,109 times
Just finished reading The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I first heard about him on TV featuring his interview with Diane Sawyer and some snippets from his lecture, which is what got me interested to see what wisdom this dying man may have to share as part of his legacy. A good, easy read. Nothing compared to Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie.

Now back to reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Really enjoying it so far.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Started reading our next title for the Book Forum discussion(s), Marlen Hausofer's The Wall. Cool concept. So far, so good. Husband wants me to hurry-up, so he can read it, too.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:49 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
I am concurrently reading The Wall by Haushofer and Reading Lolita in Tehran. I read a bit of each book each day as I have time. I really want to be prepared if others want to discuss Reading Lolita. . . in context with A Thousand Splendid Suns.

The Wall if fascinating, RDSLOTS. Thanks for recommending it, katzenfreund.

I am also enjoying Knoph's poetry newletters and included poems, ontheroad. Thanks for that great suggestion, as well.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I am concurrently reading The Wall by Haushofer and Reading Lolita in Tehran. I read a bit of each book each day as I have time. I really want to be prepared if others want to discuss Reading Lolita. . . in context with A Thousand Splendid Suns.

The Wall if fascinating, RDSLOTS. Thanks for recommending it, katzenfreund.

I am also enjoying Knoph's poetry newletters and included poems, ontheroad. Thanks for that great suggestion, as well.
Thank you Gem
I was disappointed with the translation, but still loved the story...
Let us know how Lolita in Tehran is .

I am going to Germany in a week from tomorrow and am looking forward to checking out the new books in bookstores over there. Since I have lived over here now for almost 16 years, I am not up to date on new books and new authors over there. Every time I go, I wish I had lots of money and room in my luggage to bring back TONS of books

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Started reading our next title for the Book Forum discussion(s), Marlen Hausofer's The Wall. Cool concept. So far, so good. Husband wants me to hurry-up, so he can read it, too.
Just finished it. Hope some have read The Wall as well as The Road
I hated The Road had to force myself to finish it yet loved The Wall and couldn't put it down.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:51 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished it. Hope some have read The Wall as well as The Road
I hated The Road had to force myself to finish it yet loved The Wall and couldn't put it down.
Interesting. I have NOT yet read the Road, but have bought it and it is in my "stack". I have to be in the right kind of mood to read that, I think...

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-18-2008, 06:39 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Last week, I got "Living Within Limits: Ecology, Economics and Population Taboos" (based on a recommended reading list I liked) and a Transformer Toy Price Guide, hehe, what a contrast.

A few weeks back, How the Scots Invented the Modern World. And books on marketing, economics.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:41 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
I am almost finished with "True Evil'' by Greg Iles, and today at the library I picked up 2 books by Janet Evanovich-"One for the Money" and "Eleven on Top". I've never read her before, but have heard-or read, I should say, that she's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books