Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 AM

44,257 posts, read 63,963,798 times

Advertisements

Just reread all the Potter books over the weekend and now am reading Condoleezza Rice's book, Extraordinary Ordinary People.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Someone say something positive about any one of these books.

I'm positive I have never read any of them.

I hope you find some gems among them. Be sure to let us know.

I was reading about some post-apocalypse books on Amazon and came across this one:

The World Ends in Hickory Hollow
From the Back Cover

It was a day just like any other for the Hardemans. It was filled with work-hard work-but the kind of work that let them enjoy their accomplishments, small and large, and which rewarded them with a hand-made future. It was the kind of work honest, farm-people do. But it wasn't always like this.
Zack and Lucinda left their high-paying jobs in Houston, left behind careers for a different kind of life. For too many years, they had battled to make their way in the foaming insanity that was the modern world. They had grown up as neighbors on two small, hard-run farms at the back of beyond in East Texas. The couple returned to an abandoned family farm to carve out a simpler life, one which didn't include architecture or running a fair-sized photo lab, but which did include their children, each other, and a contact with nature and the land which was important to who they were. A little out of touch? Sure they were. They didn't even realize it when the bombs dropped. . . .

It sounds so good. Maybe it will be a jewel.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:52 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,774,257 times
I finished Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton today. What a shock of an ending! Didn't see that coming! I'm still reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. Can't read too much at once because it makes me sad. I'm listening to C.S. Lewis' Voyage of the Dawn Treader on audio book. I had never read the Chronicles of Narnia. I liked the first two, but this one is disappointing IMO. I hope it gets better and that the next 4 are better.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,443,729 times
Mark Twain AB volume I. Just the intros are fascinating, as to the length of time this project has been going on getting ready for its release. It reminds me of excavations of long lost civilizations.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,586,960 times
I'm reading Decision Points by Bush-

Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,183,577 times
A book on the life of orchestra leader (Big Band) , Tommy Dorsey.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,894,301 times
I am reading (or rather listening to) the latest Ken Follett - Fall of Giants. It's pretty good....

Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,746,023 times
Women Who Run with the Wolves.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times
Im currently reading The Romanovs the final chapter by Robert K Massie . I dont know why but this family fasinates me for some reason i guess it is the way they were tragically killed or that Alexandra the tsarina believed in the after life and spirits and that she was the niece of Queen Victoria . Anyways will be back and give my review and also after that I intend to read Lisa Scotolines "Look Again " .

Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Im currently reading The Romanovs the final chapter by Robert K Massie . I dont know why but this family fasinates me for some reason i guess it is the way they were tragically killed or that Alexandra the tsarina believed in the after life and spirits and that she was the niece of Queen Victoria . Anyways will be back and give my review and also after that I intend to read Lisa Scotolines "Look Again " .

Have you read "Nicholas and Alexandra" by Massie? It's an older book but it's the one that really generated my interests in the Romanovs. The movie was very true to the book and very well done.

The thing about Nik and Al (lol) that amazes me is the fact that they were both fairly clueless about what was going on in Russia. They simply did not see the revolution coming. I really think they were both gentle people. That is the impression I have gotten over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books