Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,040,013 times

Advertisements

A Swell looking Girl by Erskine Caldwell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM

58 posts, read 331,321 times
If you want a good laugh read waking beauty by Elyse Friedman
Its about an ugly, fat, depressed girl that goes to bed and then wakes up in a gorgeous body. Which she quickly takes advantage of. Its hilarious.

Personally Im a Tami Hoag and Patricia Cornwell fan all the way!

A couple of good books I read in Late Elemetary/Jr. High

The Phantom Tollbooth....I love that book to this day.
The Color Purple.......Awesome book (Probably not an Elementary book)
Night by Elie Wiesel.......Holocaust story
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.....Holocaust
A Wrinkle in Time........Awesome story
The Giver..........Absolute best of all time, There is another story like it but I cant think of the name....Its about a child that was against the law to have so he has to stay hidden all the time......

If you haven't read these They would be short and sweet but worth the read.

We read As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner For 11th grade English, Wow that man is twisted but I enjoyed the book......interesting none the less

We had to read Frankenstine by Mary Shelly for 12th grade English and I absolutely could not do it. It was awful! How that book ever became famous is beyond me.

As someone stated Earlier The Dark Tower Series by Steven King who got through this entire set?? I got half way through 3 and fizzled Its very interesting in the 2nd book but number 1 was horrid, It shouldnt take half a book to walk through the desert come on.....And then the little boy Awh! How awful! And book number 3 I couldn't tell you anything about, I think I got to the giant robotic bear or something........hmm...maybe that was book 2......I dunno

Awesome chick book She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb....how could a male possibly understand so much and how could this be taught to my husband?!?!

BTW Cry Wolf was my Fav Tami Hoag. I was totally in love with Jack Boudreaux the entire book through!

Harry Potter Series gotta love it. Was not thrilled by how she ended the last book. Hoping for Harry Potter Offspring books....hey a girl can hope right? Or maybe a getting there book not just.......They had children, The End.

Omg there are so many more.....

Old 04-24-2008, 02:32 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,354,310 times
Just started "Mortal Fear" by Greg Iles.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:24 PM

3,367 posts, read 7,717,021 times
Just read The Black Dahlia by Ellroy. Really enjoyed that one and will definitely be reading another Ellroy book soon.

Currently about 2/3 of the way through Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. I tried to read this many years ago, but didn't get very far.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:07 PM

709 posts, read 2,170,567 times
I'm currently reading Conquering Horse by Frederick Manfred. It's about a young Yankton Sioux and his vision and quest for a white stallion.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:09 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,112,121 times
Quote:
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Color Purple
Night by Elie Wiesel
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
A Wrinkle in Time
The Giver
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
Frankenstine by Mary Shelly
Two of my friends (both in the same book club) just read Phantom Toll Booth....one of them have been raving about it telling me I will love it, the other just said not to bother if you're out of 8th grade!

I just bought Night, wanting to re-read it, and hoping that my kids will read it.

Almost bought The Color Purple with it, but ultimately put it down...love the movie, but the way the book is written is just frustrating to me.

The Giver...er, I still don't know if I "like" it... I think it makes you think (I like that in a book), and recommended it to my son.

Yeah! I thought the SAME THING about She's Come Undone! But no one I know IRL has liked it! I also liked his other book, which is totally different.

And I have been wanting to re-read Frankenstein... I also read it in HS, liked it, and have been thinking about it lately.

My book club isn't reading anything spectacular this month, so I'm planning on (finally) starting War and Peace.

I have been reading Eat Pray Love (Eat Love Pray?). It is a light easy read... a bit ADD-all over the place. The first third of the book she is living in Italy...I lived there...and am really enjoying her description of it! Especially the short chapter on Napoli, she nailed it!! It is a "filler" book for me...you can pick it up, read a chapter, abandon it for awhile...

I also really need to get my hands on The Wall!!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:16 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,692,145 times
I just read Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture"...it is very inspiring but kind of sad since he(the author) has pancreatic cancer but is fighting to live. But should he die tomorrow he left this legacy for his children.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,337 times
The great Gatsby by F.S.Fitzgerald

Old 04-25-2008, 05:09 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,308,703 times
Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter

Old 04-25-2008, 05:29 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,804,612 times
Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books