Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,902,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
I finally read, Water for Elephants.. and the critics were right, it was good!
Yeah and the movie will be awesome !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,024,077 times
Just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire - can't wait until The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest arrives in the mail! In the meantime, I'm reading Sleep Toward Heaven by Amanda Eyre Ward for book club. I'm really enjoying it!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,169,659 times
I just finished Half Broke Horses and I'm so glad I read it.

It's an easy read and absolutely delightful.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,799,105 times
I'm reading "Cutting For Stone," by Abraham Verghese. It's about identical twins born from an Indian nun and a British doctor. Great book, especially for people interested in medicine and/or Africa.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,773,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I'm reading "Cutting For Stone," by Abraham Verghese. It's about identical twins born from an Indian nun and a British doctor. Great book, especially for people interested in medicine and/or Africa.
I put a hold on this book at our library. I'm # 19! I don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,385,121 times
House of Sand and Fog, Andre Dubus III, about 100 pages in looks very good. Saw the move with Jennifer Connelly and Ben Kingsley. Story is a divorced, recovering addict, woman living alone in a house that was willed to her loses it by ignoring back taxes due. Kingsley plays an immigrant, ex-Colonel in the Iranian military who snaps up her house at an auction for a song.

Really like the style of this novel. The narration goes from the woman's first person to the Colonel's first person, the kind of book I'm so glad I started reading it, I can't wait to pick it up again.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 PM

7,216 posts, read 9,171,169 times
I finished reading Whitley Strieber's Beyond 2012. What he does in the book is take prophecies from Revelation in the Bible,and combine them with the whole Mayan calendar end-of-the-world thing. All in all, I think for those who like a fast-paced book, it isn't that bad of a book, but I couldn't quite get into it.

Then I read Time Spike by Eric Flint and Marilyn Kosmatka. I thought it was a much better book in terms of the writing. I would recommend it for those who like alternate reality books. Without giving away the plot, a prison full of inmates and their assorted guards find themselves transferred into the time of the dinosaurs, but not just that, they also find themselves with Cherokees who had been walking the Trail of Tears, and the Spanish under de Soto, and the pre-Mounds tribes.

(What I didn't understand in this book at all was one line spoken by someone back in the normal world, in which they somehow manage to figure out who got sent back in time, and the line is about how could it be no coincidence or accident that there would be prison inmates, pre-Mounds peoples, Cherokees, and de Soto. )

This is never explained. Nor is any connection made clear in the book. But it says this is a Ring of Fire novel, and the writer has apparently written other Ring of Fire books, and since I've never read him before, maybe there is a connection to a previous novel, or maybe there will be a sequel which will make it clear what the connection is supposed to be.

There is an excerpt from a forthcoming novel at the end of the book though, which is clearly no sequel and bears no relation at all to the book I just read.

Am now reading Echo City by Tim Lebbon, which seems the most promising of them all. Well-written, characters well defined already and I'm not far into it, good descriptions of the landscape. It seems to be set in a city millenia after an apocalypse.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,565,592 times
On a whim I picked up a book called Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search and Rescue Dog by Susannah Charleson. Although I am an animal lover, it's certainly not a typical read for me, but I'm really enjoying it. Like the title says, it's a woman's story about training and working with a search and rescue dog. The writing is good and the story is interesting. I recommended it to all you animal (and especially dog) lovers out there.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,169,659 times
I just started "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart and I can tell it was written in the late 40s because the writer refers to a couch/sofa as a "davenport."

I have not heard that word since the 50s. All kinds of memories flooded my brain.

In my hot little hands I now have: (amazon loves me)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (which I am afraid to start)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Horse Soldiers
Without Warning
The Heretic's Daughter
and about 10 others that I'm too lazy to round up.
Maybe they are under the davenport.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,442,808 times
I just started reading "Dirtier than ever" by Vickie Stringer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books