Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,785,879 times

Advertisements

Well I've motored through to page 201 where the breakout occurs that becomes the "apocalyptic" scenario. So far in some ways it's reminiscent of the movie 28 days later.

It's not exactly what I was expecting when I put it on my wish list, but still a good read so far. He's a decent writer, although I have found myself skimming some very long "descriptive" passages........some authors need to learn that "less can be more". It's also not exactly a "vampire" saga as the "vampirism" is more due to the disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
About half of my Amazon order came on Friday and I have finally got some books which look like they will interest me. I finished reading Hard Grass by Mary Zeiss Stange last night. It is non-fiction, and basically about life on their ranch, The Crazy Woman Bison Ranch, in south-eastern Montana.

It's always interesting to read the perspective of outsiders to rural life. Even after 20 plus years on the ranch, there are still places in which her original urban outlook pops up, in predictable ways, as rural people will attest to (urban people who move to a rural area letting their dogs roam free, as a classic example). Her story is a perfect example of why rural people won't generally confess to where that "missing" dog went but even years after that incident, she doesn't seem to understand that.

Now, oh where, oh where shall I start ? I ordered a number of books about soldiers, including Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Fury. I've been interested in reading that book ever since the author was on 60 Minutes.

There is also Summer of the Apocalypse by James van Pelt. I was thinking that I might start on this book because I just finished a non-fiction book, but then turn to the Dalton Fury one. I sometimes need to alternate between fiction and non-fiction.

But there are a lot of other books to choose from as well, and the rest of my Amazon order should be here on Tuesday and Wednesday.
I only recently added this one to my wish list, let us know what you think of it. I'll check out Hard Grass too, that does sound intriguing.

Last edited by Opyelie; 01-16-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 4,329,001 times
Slowly slowly reading NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES... enjoying it and reading it is sort of like reading a book of related short stories.
Going to have to read up from orchard street thanks to all your rpostive posts... and going to try to find extremely loud and something.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 PM

7,212 posts, read 9,171,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I only recently added this one to my wish list, let us know what you think of it. I'll check out Hard Grass too, that does sound intriguing.
I just finished Summer of the Apocalypse and first off, I'll admit that typos in books bother me - and first I came across "Cottonwoods" in mid-sentence, capitalized , and then a character talks about declaring "Marshall law."

Now maybe the author was intending that the character sound ignorant but I don't see how punning "Marshall" on "martial law" works at all. I kept looking at the page to see what I was missing.

If I had read this book before The Stand, I would think more highly of it. I do think that anyone who enjoys post-apocalyptic writing will enjoy this, but it is so clearly a take off The Stand and I find that the angle isn't quite fresh enough for my taste.

Hard Grass is very similar to The Perfection of the Morning by Sharon Butala. Sharon Butala's book-the perfection of the morning Butala's book, of some years ago, is set in Saskatchewan and was either nominated or won the Governor General's award.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I just finished Summer of the Apocalypse and first off, I'll admit that typos in books bother me - and first I came across "Cottonwoods" in mid-sentence, capitalized , and then a character talks about declaring "Marshall law."

Now maybe the author was intending that the character sound ignorant but I don't see how punning "Marshall" on "martial law" works at all. I kept looking at the page to see what I was missing.
Funny you should say that, as I've seen it over and over again on this website. For some reason US posters do type it as Marshall law quite often. I've even seen it cited the same way in the main stream media.

Typos etc usually pop out at me too (I think I was a proofreader in a former life lol)

Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 AM

7,212 posts, read 9,171,169 times
Quote:
Funny you should say that, as I've seen it over and over again on this website. For some reason US posters do type it as Marshall law quite often. I've even seen it cited the same way in the main stream media.

Typos etc usually pop out at me too (I think I was a proofreader in a former life lol)
I haven't come across it before. For the heck of it, I Googled "Marshall law" - and discovered it is the name of an Australian TV show

Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,800,070 times
Quote:
I'll admit that typos in books bother me
Quote:
This makes me CRAZY. Absolutely crazy.

I write and edit technical material for a living, so when I see errors in my "at leisure" books, I just want to sob.

If I see them -- more than a few -- on early pages, I can't continue reading the book because then I make it my mission to FIND! THEM! instead of enjoying the book. One exception, and it's an ironic one: The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs. When I started noticing errors -- in this book, above all -- I almost lost my mind, but I loved the premise of the book, so I tried to block them out.

The book that I just finished (Up From Orchard Street) had "it's" instead of "its" in a sentence that was almost at the end of the book. I was almost finished the book anyway. More important than that, though, was that "its" was used properly in the very same sentence, so I knew it was just a typo and not a grammatical error. I felt better.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 01-18-2011 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,323,747 times
Gotta love the books where a character's name changes completely. Those drive me nuts!! How does the editor not catch THAT?!?! I'm a transcriptioniist so I see and cringe at the errors too. Ugh!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,800,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Gotta love the books where a character's name changes completely. Those drive me nuts!! How does the editor not catch THAT?!?! I'm a transcriptioniist so I see and cringe at the errors too. Ugh!
I've seen that a few times. I couldn't believe it!

Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,323,747 times
It's such an incredibly obvious mistake, too! (So are the others in my opinion, but seriously!, how do you not notice someone's name has changed???)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books