Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,132,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
It's such an incredibly obvious mistake, too! (So are the others in my opinion, but seriously!, how do you not notice someone's name has changed???)
Or when the description of the character changes - I most recently came across this with The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I don't remember now which character it was, but at one point she describes his white hair and in another he is described as having thick black hair. And this is in the same time period, so it isn't as though he has aged. Just poor editing (and in my opinion this whole book is representative of poor editing - it's several hundred pages too long, for one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM

7,206 posts, read 9,167,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
This makes me CRAZY. Absolutely crazy.

I write and edit technical material for a living, so when I see errors in my "at leisure" books, I just want to sob.

If I see them -- more than a few -- on early pages, I can't continue reading the book because then I make it my mission to FIND! THEM! instead of enjoying the book. One exception, and it's an ironic one: The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs. When I started noticing errors -- in this book, above all -- I almost lost my mind, but I loved the premise of the book, so I tried to block them out.

That's it exactly and that's why I don't know whether I liked the book. I was torn between skimming pages trying to avoid finding any other typos, and feeling compelled to find them. It messed with my mind and I couldn't get lost in the story.

But Kill Bin Laden is turning out to be a good read so far.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,352,042 times
I just finished "The Queen's Fool" by Philippa Gregory. Good but not as good as "The Other Boleyn Girl".

Now I'm 50 pages deep into "Fires of Heaven", book five of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:24 AM

14,557 posts, read 22,911,893 times
*******s Finish First - Tucker Max

About 3/4 of the way through.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,795,277 times
Left Neglected by Lisa Genova.

Verdict: Eh. * shrug *
I'm more than half way through it. I'll see it through to the end, but I'm ready for it to be over.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 01-19-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM

7,206 posts, read 9,167,414 times
I am reading the most wonderful book. The last of my Amazon order came yesterday, and in checking out the books, I simply could not stop reading Sketches from the Ranch by Dan Aadland. I got totally side-tracked off Kill Bin Landen.

This is the author's memoir of growing up in Montana. Usually regional memoirs are interesting only to those who are from the region themselves, with the quality of writing not very high. But the author is an English teacher as well, which must be what makes the difference.

The 'problem' with Half-Broke Horses is that the book is written by someone far removed from the life of her grandmother. I have 'problem' in quotation marks because it isn't really a problem - but the author's removal from the actual events makes her book a story told, rather than a life lived.

The 'problem' with Hard Grass is that it is written by people who will forever be outsiders, academics, whether they realize it or not. Even if they have made a success of their life on their ranch, there is still a level of understanding that is not there.

Don't get me wrong; they are both good books. But Sketches from the Ranch is written by someone still living, who grew up in the area and among the people he writes about, and who has had enough life experiences in other parts of the world to have a context in which to place his experiences, something that many rural people don't have.

It is more than a day-to-day description of ranching life. Aadland doesn't minimize the hardships or dwell on them. And they are interspersed with the songs of the meadowlark, and the lyricism he says in his preface, he hopes to have achieved:

"I would strive to condense, to distill, and to render in prose hopefully not devoid of lyricism the essence of my ranching experience. I paraphrased too, that earlier New Englander as he approached life at Walden Pond: Thoreau would front the essential facts of life there and find a common denominator."

The title of the book is misleading, in that it is not a series of sketches, but a unified whole, to be read front to back. I haven't been so blown away by a book for a long time.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,772,395 times
I'm reading The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule by Michael Shermer. Enjoying it so far.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,164,375 times
I'm nearly finished with A Thousand White Women-The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus.

I was not certain that I would like it but I really do.

I ordered the book from amazon and it was sent to me by Goodwill. It's a used book/oversized paperback. The previous owner had gone through it correcting the punctuation using a purple pen. LOL.

I don't agree with all the changes she made but it's funny to read. This may be a galley proof. I was a book reviewer as a hobby for about 10 years. I got to select the books I wanted to review and the book editor at the newpaper sometimes had galley proofs. They were often still quite raw. This copy may very well be one.

The purple markings actually do not bother me. The story is so interesting.

It's a good book.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,897,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm nearly finished with A Thousand White Women-The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus.

I was not certain that I would like it but I really do.

I ordered the book from amazon and it was sent to me by Goodwill. It's a used book/oversized paperback. The previous owner had gone through it correcting the punctuation using a purple pen. LOL.

I don't agree with all the changes she made but it's funny to read. This may be a galley proof. I was a book reviewer as a hobby for about 10 years. I got to select the books I wanted to review and the book editor at the newpaper sometimes had galley proofs. They were often still quite raw. This copy may very well be one.

The purple markings actually do not bother me. The story is so interesting.

It's a good book.
Yes it is and yes I have read it and you were waiting for me to say I had read it right LOL ? take care and yes excellent book I enjoyed it very much and some of the charecters were very endearing such as the big sweedish woman . I loved it . Im glad you did too .

Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 PM

169 posts, read 522,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Left Neglected by Lisa Genova.

Verdict: Eh. * shrug *
I'm more than half way through it. I'll see it through to the end, but I'm ready for it to be over.
I love Still Alice, but this one is just okay for me. I was so looking fwd to it so I was disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books