Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times

Advertisements

I'm just starting The Kite Runner.
I didn't like She's Come Undone at all, but I loved I Know This Much Is True.
I'm also trying to catch up on my magazines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 05:12 PM

7 posts, read 29,861 times
Thumbs up 3 very entertaining books ...

Just finished "And Then We Came to the End" by Joshua Ferris. If you've ever worked from an office cubicle, then you'll love this book. Funny, sad, accurate. I liked it. Just started "Bitter Is the New Black" by Jen Lancaster. What a riot!!! Her style is very loose and conversational. Comic timing is perfect.

Also recently finished an advance copy of "An Island Away" by Daniel Putkowski. Couldn't put it down. Terrific read with a surprise ending that brought tears. Many tears. Most of the story takes place in Aruba and some in Colombia. Deals with the red light district and has a compelling cast of characters. I highly recommend it when it comes out ... in May, I think.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I'm just starting The Kite Runner.
I didn't like She's Come Undone at all, but I loved I Know This Much Is True.
I'm also trying to catch up on my magazines.
I'm sorry you didn't like Wally Lamb's first work, She's Come Undone. I liked them both, and was amazed by how well he captured the female essence.

When you finish The Kite Runner, please share your thoughts on the Book Discussion Forum.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,758 times
Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert
(Kinda late to the party on that one, as it has been out for awhile, but I have enjoyed it)

Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I'm sorry you didn't like Wally Lamb's first work, She's Come Undone. I liked them both, and was amazed by how well he captured the female essence.

When you finish The Kite Runner, please share your thoughts on the Book Discussion Forum.
RD, I agree about how well Wally did on She's Come Undone. Thats why I will read every book he writes. It was just so dark and depressing to me. Maybe I feel like I related to her on some level,and it was too close to home. Thats probably what I should say instead of saying I didn't like it. I've read plenty of dark/depressing books that I've thought were excellent, such as House Of Sand & Fog. I read Stephen King for the same reason. I rarely like his books, but I read every one because he is a master storyteller, and worth the read, to me, for his excellent characterization alone. I could do without the "bogey men, ghosts, and invisible creatures.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besitomio View Post
Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert
(Kinda late to the party on that one, as it has been out for awhile, but I have enjoyed it)
I would never be able to keep up with all the books out there. There are still many old books on my list to read, and I'm always reading. Then, I come on sites like this, and see more books I want to read, so I add them to my list. It's a problem I don't mind having.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:00 AM

37 posts, read 144,328 times
My knowledge of history in general sucks, so I'm starting at the beginning. Currently I am reading Egypt, Greece and Rome by Charles Freeman and next on the history list is The Middle Ages by Morris Bishop.

I've also just ordered a few books from Amazon that I'll probably intersperse with the history:

Incandescence by Greg Egan (pre-ordered, actually; about damn time he came out with a new book)
The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul
Rogue River Journal: A Winter Alone by John Daniel (I want to move to Oregon, so this should be good!)
Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature, edited by William Cronon

That should keep me busy.

V

Old 04-29-2008, 10:33 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Has anyone read The Atonement?? Friend passed it on to me and I'm having a hard time getting into it. Hopefully it gets better

Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Has anyone read The Atonement?? Friend passed it on to me and I'm having a hard time getting into it. Hopefully it gets better
Njkate, my sister just gave me her copy of The Atonement and does it ever look well-read! It began its life as a pass-around book with a friend of hers.

They all loved it and I am anxious to start reading it myself. My sister is very stingy with her literary plaudits, so I am sure that it is going to be as wonderful a read as she promises.

I am almost finished with The Wall, which I will finish tonight. It is very fascinating and not at all like any book that I can recall reading previously.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:34 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
I too have a copy of The Atonement, as yet unread. I keep getting side-tracked, and have been meaning to read it, like, forever.

We'll have to discuss it when we finish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books