Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,741,365 times

Advertisements

I just finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 PM

169 posts, read 522,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Exactly. I was dying waiting for this book to be released, but I should have known from the blurb that it wouldn't have the "oomph" factor that Still Alice had.

I was just saying to my husband last night, when I still couldn't finish Left Neglected, that I must have been so in tune with Still Alice because both my grandparents had Alzheimers, so I related to it at a heartfelt level. Then he said, "Yeah, but your left ankle has been agonizing you for WEEKS! You can barely walk on your left leg!" It's true. Tendinitis, I think it is. It's killing me. But not in the same way that my grandparents' Alzheimers killed me.

ALSO... Even though I haven't finished it yet (30 pages or so to go), I just know that, no matter how it turns out in the end, that it's going to be uplifting ("mind over matter!" and "I can still be a winner!" type thing), which -- to me -- is formulaic, even though that's not Lisa Genova's "formula" from Still Alice.
I don't know anyone personally with Alzheimer's but yet I was very touched. The power of that story was amazing.

If she' stuck to Still Alice's formula I wouldn't have minded, but not Left Neglected's formula... can't wait to see what you think after the last 30 pages...

Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,131,712 times
I just finished rereading P.O.W by Douglas Collins after finally having found a copy on Amazon. I read it in t he 90's but the library refused to sell me a copy.

Amazon.com: P O W (9780671771362): Douglas collins: Books

Its a first person and quite riviting tale of the author and frequently a good friend, both British infantry captured at Dunkirk. They started out in a cattle care heading for Germany, spent some time in Stalag VIIIB, escaped and continued to escape from camps which led him to be rescured along with those held in Romania before D day. It reads more like an adventure than a story of imprisonment, and the amazing tenacity he and his friend had is incredable. It also, when you compare the descriptions of some of their circumstances and their mood, shows how well we are equipped to cope with the less than good. It was published in the 60's but its well worth a read.

I just finished the Guernsey Potato peel pie and Literary Society. I am glad I saw it listed and very much enjoyed it until the end which was a little weak, and am now looking for non-fiction books on the subject that are about the occupation not the military situation. Haven't found any but won't quit looking.

Next up is something which popped up on my Amazon emails that I might like...Leap into Darkness, Seven Years on the Run in Wartime Europe. Author is Leo Bretholz and Michael Olesker. Its the memories of a young teenage Jew who spent seven years running and hiding and survived to tell his story. I just got into chapter 2 but am liking it.

I read novels but somehow the intensity of real stories by people always seem to be the ones I really relish because they are real and about why some don't crumple and give up or maintain but do all they can to live. While looking for the Amazon listing to post I found another Pow memiour which I somehow just have to read and one clicked it to my library.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
I don't know anyone personally with Alzheimer's but yet I was very touched. The power of that story was amazing.

If she' stuck to Still Alice's formula I wouldn't have minded, but not Left Neglected's formula... can't wait to see what you think after the last 30 pages...
Yup, I still felt the same way after the last 30 pages. The only part that made the ending "better" for me was the part about her mother (I don't want to ruin it for anyone who's going to read it). I thought what happened was too coincidental, but that part worked, in all its shlockiness, for me. In all, though, even though I found it interesting to learn about Left Neglect in terms of a TBI (traumatic brain injury), the story itself was predictable and hokey.

Not a major disappointment as far as a book, but a disappointment in terms of Lisa Genova.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:35 PM

I got to page 24 of After a Funeral by Diana Athill and thought I'd die of boredom, no pun intended.

I'm going to start Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant. It sounds like a delight. I hope so!

Amazon.com: Come, Thou Tortoise (9781906964184): Jessica Grant: Books

I just got back from the clinic. My ankle has been bothering me for approximately two weeks, agonizing when I walk the dog, so I went to get it checked out. The radiologist will have to read the x-rays on Monday/Tuesday, but the doc thinks it's a broken fibula!!!! I really NEED a delightful book now!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I got to page 24 of After a Funeral by Diana Athill and thought I'd die of boredom, no pun intended.

I'm going to start Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant. It sounds like a delight. I hope so!

Amazon.com: Come, Thou Tortoise (9781906964184): Jessica Grant: Books

I just got back from the clinic. My ankle has been bothering me for approximately two weeks, agonizing when I walk the dog, so I went to get it checked out. The radiologist will have to read the x-rays on Monday/Tuesday, but the doc thinks it's a broken fibula!!!! I really NEED a delightful book now!

Darn. A broken fibula? No wonder you have been in pain. I hope they fix it real quick.

As far as "delightful" goes have you read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
?
It was not the kind of book I would usually pick up but a friend loaned it to me and I totally enjoyed it. Very interesting and eccentric characters. It's worth a read and you will laugh in places.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Darn. A broken fibula? No wonder you have been in pain. I hope they fix it real quick.

As far as "delightful" goes have you read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
?
It was not the kind of book I would usually pick up but a friend loaned it to me and I totally enjoyed it. Very interesting and eccentric characters. It's worth a read and you will laugh in places.
Thanks!

I haven't started the Tortoise book -- I think I'm waiting for the Vicodiin to kick in first.

I've seen that Saving CeeCee Honeycutt book but it never grabbed my attention. Then again, neither did the Guernsey Potato Pie book until everyone started raving about it here... and then I loved it.

Yeah, I'll log into Amazon soon and check out CeeCee again. And if I'm whacked out on Vicodin while I'm on Amazon, who knows what else I'll end up with! Weeee! Let the games begin! * Snort *

Old 01-22-2011, 05:01 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times

So, let's order some books.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:06 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,400,921 times
Water for Elephants
and
A Passage to India

Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

So, let's order some books.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I want to make a sign of that graphic, and hang it up on my office wall, along with your words at the bottom. That's perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books