Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Just (finally) started extremely loud and incredibly close. It is a very very very good read and I can't quite figure it out but I can't stop reading it either. I think this is one I would love to discuss with others. I have heard of this and his other one- everything is illuminated- and I guess that will be next.
anyone else familiar with these?
Yes, I read them both. A long time ago, though. I enjoyed them both a lot, but they were definitely "different," although not in a bad way.

I don't remember much -- OK, I don't remember ANYTHING -- about either of them, except that I did enjoy them for their quirkiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Just (finally) started extremely loud and incredibly close. It is a very very very good read and I can't quite figure it out but I can't stop reading it either. I think this is one I would love to discuss with others. I have heard of this and his other one- everything is illuminated- and I guess that will be next.
anyone else familiar with these?
I'm not familiar with the first one but Everything Is Illuminated is a very good book. So many unexpected things happen in this book and I simply could not second guess the author. It's about a young Jewish American man who goes to the Ukraine to find the woman who saved his grandfather from the camps during the Holocaust. It's quirky most of the way through but there are some heart breaking moments. I loved it.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
When I think of steve mcqueen I often wonder would he still be alive if our government would have not been stupid and continously letting the fda approve and disapprove laiatril (not sure of the spelling ) I think he was on to something with that treatment . I truly wish that our government came to its senses and get rid of the fda . The fda is all about the money and no can tell me any different . God rest his soul and that of the countless others who might have been helped . sorry I know off topic ..
McQueen was a fighter. He went to his death fighting until the last moment. I bet the book is very good. When I think of him I always think of The Magnificent Seven. I have the feeling he was playing himself in that movie....and most of his others, too.

It sounds like a good book.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
McQueen was a fighter. He went to his death fighting until the last moment. I bet the book is very good. When I think of him I always think of The Magnificent Seven. I have the feeling he was playing himself in that movie....and most of his others, too.

It sounds like a good book.
Yes that is one I think I would like to read as well sorry sometimes ppl just get me on my soapbox !! LOL !!!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 PM

29 posts, read 109,913 times
Elizabeth Taylor: Taking Off

Her book that she wrote about her weight lose in the mid 80's. Great book.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,788,851 times
Started Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars last night and about 10 pages in on 1922 started thinking "is this REALLY something I should be reading just before bed?" LOL

It's certainly dark and nasty, like the SK of old. Sometimes I have to wonder how HE sleeps.

I did love the dedication - To Tabby Still

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes that is one I think I would like to read as well sorry sometimes ppl just get me on my soapbox !! LOL !!!
There was absolutely nothing wrong with what you posted, phonelady61. I agree with you about the FDA and restrictions.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,860,576 times
I was reading Nimzowitsch's "My System" and Bobby Fischers "My 60 memorable games". Both chess books. My game is pretty weak. I dont understand many grandmaster moves or strategies.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,288,301 times
getting to Happy: the sequel to waiting to exhale.

It's horrible

Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
getting to Happy: the sequel to waiting to exhale.

It's horrible

Oh, phooey! What a shame. Waiting to Exhale was so good. I really liked the characters in that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books