Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,049,421 times

Advertisements

Just finished The Disappearance of The Universe by Gary Renard, and now just starting What The Bleep Do We Know by Arntz, Chasse and Vicente -- both, essentially, quantum physics, metaphysics and spirituality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Njkate, my sister just gave me her copy of The Atonement and does it ever look well-read! It began its life as a pass-around book with a friend of hers.

They all loved it and I am anxious to start reading it myself. My sister is very stingy with her literary plaudits, so I am sure that it is going to be as wonderful a read as she promises.

I am almost finished with The Wall, which I will finish tonight. It is very fascinating and not at all like any book that I can recall reading previously.
Guess I'll make an effort....
I loved The Wall

Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I too have a copy of The Atonement, as yet unread. I keep getting side-tracked, and have been meaning to read it, like, forever.

We'll have to discuss it when we finish it.
Sounds like a plan

Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,223,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Has anyone read The Atonement?? Friend passed it on to me and I'm having a hard time getting into it. Hopefully it gets better
I started to read Atonement when it first came out, and put it aside. While perusing books at our airport Powell's, I came upon a used copy and decided to read during the trip. It definitely gets better and am now an Ian McEwan addict.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,096,424 times
Tigerlily, I keep promising myself that I am going to start The Atonement next, but something else pops up! It is on the pile! So many books; so little time.

Today I bought Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult and The Space Between Us: A Novel (PS) by Thrity Umrigar. The latter is a tale of two women in India from totally different ends of the social spectrum who are drawn together by circumstance.

The reviews for Plain Truth are not as sterling as Picoult's My Sister's Keeper, but it does sound like a compelling story taking place within an Amish community in Lancaster, PA, an area of which I am quite familiar.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,630,907 times
I have been reading James Patterson, Grisham-got somewhat weary of him- this guy
I just found read the Winner-loved it- David BALDACCI- cheap at walmart-must be an older one- I also like Michael Palmer and his books- read the winner it is great-i also enjoy j archer-then the same old one n roberts etc.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:13 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,502,481 times
Just read "Shoot Him if He Runs" by Stuart Woods. I'm not sure I liked it much.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,502,481 times
Started "The Darkest Evening of the Year" by Dean Koontz last night. I know my girlfriend will enjoy it too, since the first chapter talks about a woman who rescues dogs.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,225,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
RD, I agree about how well Wally did on She's Come Undone. Thats why I will read every book he writes. It was just so dark and depressing to me. Maybe I feel like I related to her on some level,and it was too close to home. Thats probably what I should say instead of saying I didn't like it. I've read plenty of dark/depressing books that I've thought were excellent, such as House Of Sand & Fog.
I liked She's Come Undone, but I do agree that it was dark. There's a twisted bit of my head that really likes books about people falling apart, I've no idea why. Maybe it's the same instinct that makes people buy trashy magazines headed "My husband's a transvestite and his mum ran off with the milkman who had his sister's baby and it had two heads..."

Shortly after it, I read Elizabeth... oh God I've forgotten her name... Wutzel? Yes - Prozac Nation, then staight after that I read her follow-up book More, Now Again. Autobiographical works like that of course hit you harder and are more worrying, although I tend to assume there's some experience behind most books so you're probably reading someone's autobiography most of the time, if it's not the author's. What always bothers me a bit with these books is when you get to the end and it's all happiness and joy and they're out of rehab etc, then you get the follow-up book and shortly after the end of the last one they fell off the wagon again. So you get to the end of that book and everything appears great again, but I think "well is it really? I wonder what they're doing now?"

I know this has nothing to do with She's Come Undone but I associate the two very closely in my head because I read them one after the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy08 View Post
We read As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner For 11th grade English, Wow that man is twisted but I enjoyed the book......interesting none the less
I read Light in August last year and really enjoyed it. I read it because I had just read Nick Cave's book "And the Ass Saw the Angel" which is incredibly dark, but someone had described it as Faulkner-esque. I can't pinpoint any specific similarity (and Cave is very self-indulgent with his prose - even more so that Virginia Woolf possibly) but there is an indefinable quality that I can see would lead someone to draw a comparison. A kind of dryness to the earth and frailty and viciousness of people, but with unexpected strength popping up in some characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
The great Gatsby by F.S.Fitzgerald
I love that book! I can't remember anything about it, just that I loved it.

I'm reading "Girlfriend in a Coma" by Douglas Coupland for fiction.

For non-fiction - "Zeno and the Tortoise - How to think like a philosopher", reviewed as "great for sounding cleverer than you really are" on the front. I love reading philosophy but I can't remember anything I read from one minute ot the next, regardless of how interesting I found it at the time. It's a great refresher/ consolidation exercise. lol

Last edited by RH1; 05-06-2008 at 05:13 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 12:52 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,414,280 times
I am waiting -- most impatiently, I might add -- for my copy of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. I want to read it in preparation for the book discussion here on Marlen Hausofer's The Wall. Several posters, including ontheroad, and gemkeeper, suggested the two might make for an interesting discussion together. I'm game. I'm just waiting. . .

In the meanwhile, I picked up, yet again, Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, which may take me as long to read, as it does the protagonist to build his church.

And lastly, because I saw Sophia Coppolla's film, Marie Antoinette, for the second time yesterday afternoon, I am thinking I want to read A. Fraser's biography of the seemingly misunderstood, misinterpreted, and misquoted Queen of France now. I enjoy historical pieces, fiction or otherwise, and this work was one I came across on a book website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books