Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,349 times

Advertisements

Currently reading . . .

P.J. O'Rourke, Don't Vote---It Just Encourages the Bastards
William Nack, Secretariat
P.J. O'Rourke, Peace Kills
Mezz Mezzrow, Really the Blues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I just finished the glass castle last night and all I can say is wow . It is a good book and it will leave you thinking , at least it did me .. take care all .

Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I just finished the glass castle last night and all I can say is wow . It is a good book and it will leave you thinking , at least it did me .. take care all .
YAY!!! Sometimes when I read a book that I really, REALLY love, I make it my mission to get all my book-loving friends to read it because I absolutely 100% know how good a book it is and that they'll love it. This is one of those books for me. In fact, it's one of the few books that will never leave my shelf -- it will not be "given" to a friend to read; sold; or donated. I need to have it in my possession, even though the chances of my reading it a second time are close to nil.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,141 times
Kardashian Konfidential

love it so far, I have way more respect for the Kardashian sisters after reading most of this

Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM

The Kommandant's Girl , Looking for salvation at the dairy queen are both on my to be read list . they are hold at the library and hope they are good .

Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I am still reading Kill bin Laden but I also just finished Inside Delta Force by Eric L. Haney. He was one of the founding members of Delta Force. It is a more interesting read than Kill bin Laden and I think that is because his voice is not so passive.

One of the things he claims in the book is that Vietnam was holding American POWs in Laos - something which allowed them to 'truthfully' say that there were no POWs in Vietnam. He says that there was going to be a Delta Force rescue of these POWs which was derailed by some Lieutenant Colonel announcing that he had evidence of POWs and was going to rescue them himself, etc.

Over the years Haney came to believe from conversations he had with other people in the military and government that after Watergate, the American government deliberately abandoned its POWs and sabotaged the Delta rescue plan. I won't go into the case he makes for it, other than it sounds believable.

One of the challenges that would-be Delta Force operators went through involved solitary, non-team related tests that were designed to sift those soldiers who could think for themselves from those who preferred to be told what to do every minute of the day, and that makes Haney a more interesting person to read.

And it helps that he can apparently write. No ghost writer is mentioned anyway.

Last edited by netwit; 02-02-2011 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 AM

I think I must have posted in the wrong area sorry Im currently reading riding lessons by sara gruen and then Im onto the komandants girl and looking for salvation at the dairy queen . all of these were recomended by other readers so Im onto that .

Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
I will finish up The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant this morning. When I first began reading it, I was a little put off by the author's anthropomorphism in the first few chapters. He ascribes thoughts and emotions to dogs, which in and of itself doesn't bother me if the person is actually observing the dog, but these descriptions were given about dogs that Vick & his goons killed during their dog fighting operation.

Aside from that, the book is both disturbing and endearing. In my 30-some-odd years, I and/or my parents have taken in 7 unwanted pets: 3 dogs and 5 cats (3 cats are still living). I cannot fathom the mind that tortures animals. Vick and his goons didn't just kill the nonfighting dogs - they tortured them. While the book does briefly describe the killings, the bulk is spent on gathering evidence to convict Vick & company and on the rehabilitation of the dogs.

On a very personal note, I was on the fence about Vick and his return to the NFL. On the one hand, I believe in giving people a second chance, a chance to change; on the other, can a person who enjoys violence, particularly violence toward the weak or susceptible (women, children, animals), be rehabilitated? I'm just not sure. I suppose that's a question for another forum.

Last edited by peppermint; 02-03-2011 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM

443 posts, read 564,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I am currently reading "The Bone Collector" by Jeffery Deaver.
I finished "Watchers" by Dean Koontz and I was sorry when that book ended. Some books you don't want them to end!
I've read both those books and really enjoyed them. Now I am on to Full Dark No Stars by Stephen King. So far its the usual submersion into King's world that I always hate to see end when I finish the book. Four great stories--although I liked the second one better than the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books