Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 01:53 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,401,159 times

Advertisements

I finished Clarence Thomas' "My Grandfather's Son" today.

Tomorrow, I begin rereading John Locke's "Second Treatise of Government".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:53 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,361,860 times
Just finished Mortal Fear by Greg Iles und some minutes ago I had a peek into Black Cross, also from Greg Iles.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,414,280 times
Default While I wait for McCarthy's The Road. . .

Stopped by the public library near the house early yesterday evening, and brought home Margaret George's Helen of Troy and Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette. (I get on these reading 'kicks' sometimes, and Sophia Coppollo's film spurred an interest in the Consort of Louis XVI.)

George's Helen of Troy caught my eye as I was perusing the shelves. I also find that period in Greek history interesting as well, and I have read the author's Mary of Magdalene and more recently, Henry VIII, written like an autobiography, with notes from Henry's fool, Will Somers. I like her style. (And just pulling the work from the shelf, I learned something! Hermione was Helen's daughter, by Menelaus.)

Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,096,424 times
Oh, boy, RDSLOTS, get that copy of The Road! I just finished it and it is going to be a wonderful companion to The Wall discussion.

I am still reading, and enjoying, Reading Lolita in Tehran. What a wonderful book, but not to everyone's liking, I would think. I am just starting Plain Truth by Jody Picoult. I am happiest when I am reading at least 2 very different books at the same time. Kind of like Sweet and Sour Chicken!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 PM

My package from B&N arrived this very afternoon! Cormac McCarthy's The Road, and Beatles cd, Abbey Road.

I also started Fraser's Marie Antoinette last night. Poor, poor little rich girl. Pawn of the Austrian Empress, Maria Theresa, her mother, who married each of her daughters well, politically. Seems Marie Antoinette (Antonia, as she was called by her own family) was ill-prepared to ever become Queen of France, and the Empress knew it, begging Louis XV, to 'indulge' the girl her shortcomings, and following that with advising Marie Antoinette to be so sweet as to let the French think she (the Empress) "had sent them an angel."

Poor Antonia was set up to fail.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
My package from B&N arrived this very afternoon! Cormac McCarthy's The Road, and Beatles cd, Abbey Road.

I also started Fraser's Marie Antoinette last night. Poor, poor little rich girl. . .
Poor Antonia was set up to fail.
Uh-oh, RDS. Better read the book first. It is a wonderful book. You will enjoy it, and I fear you are right. Heads are going to roll.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 AM

The opulence and the sheer extravagance of things may make me too sick to be able to finish reading Fraser's biography. Fifty-seven carriages, two of them for Antonia, herself, and almost three hundred thousand horses, to literally 'cart' the thirteen-year-old from Austria to France -- and this after the lavish parties, proxy wedding, and feasts before her departure.

The very things that 'entertained' or intrigued me, somewhat, in Coppolla's film may be just too much in print.

And I do have The Road here now. Is it a fast read, BTW? Heads still attached want to know. (YOU are a sick, sick little subject, Gem.)

Old 05-08-2008, 08:21 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,238,710 times
Im reading Marley and Me. I love animals and this was on the best sellers list. The movie will be coming out soon with Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. We were contemplating a lab puppy and boy am I glad Im reading this one. I think we'll wait a while!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Just finished The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. Very much enjoyed it. It is a coming of age story woven with fantasy and fairytales. Not for little ones, though.

Just began: Terry Jones' Medieval Lives Very readable, easy to understand, and have already learned a few new things.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Dare I begin yet a third on-going book. Yeah.

Out of Egypt by Andre Aciman is a memoir of the author's growing up with his family in Egypt. I have not started it yet, buy am about to pick it up. Good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books