Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,028,650 times

Advertisements

Just finished A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick for book club. Have also been reading Our Mutual Friend by Dickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
Sometimes when i read this thread, I feel really like a slacker! so many seem to read much deeper books!
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I feel like that sometimes too.... you'll rarely see me post about the new Nora Roberts or J.D Robb book I just picked up......but I've read everything she's come out with and now wait for the new releases impatiently.

I work from home, on a computer all day reading technical jargon, medical terms, and provider contracts...not exactly light reading. So when I pick up a book I want to be able to float along with the story line and entertain myself for a while, not have to really think about what I'm reading and contemplate "what did they mean by that? What's the philosophy behind that statement."

I'll pick up a biography every once in a while...but it's never by a politician or some deep thinker. Usually by comedians, famous chefs, or singer/songwriters. If something they've done in life has made me laugh or feel good, I'll probably read a book they've done.

I'm not knocking on those types of books by any means, they just don't fit my frame of mind at the moment. I do, however, enjoy reading all the posts that people make about their book choices. Gives me something to think about reading when I want to...well...think
light_shimmer: I hear you! I'm a technical writer, work from home on my laptop all day with IT terms and lingo smacking me in the face. At the end of the day, when I'm reading for leisure, I don't want to feel like I need to look up words.

Neither of you should feel badly. And you should post whatever you're reading, if you feel like it. Nobody's going to judge you.

I used to read some heavy (it's all relative, isn't it?) stuff. Some of my friends who read much lighter fare were always embarrassed to tell me what book they were reading, as if I wouldn't respect them for it. "Are you kidding?," I always say. "I'm so happy that you read SOMETHING! ANYTHING! If you enjoy it, I'm thrilled. I wouldn't even lose respect for you if you chose to watch the latest episode of Hoarders instead of reading." (That's because if I happen to be flipping through the channels and spot the show, I can't turn it off either. )

Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Just finished A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick for book club.
Did you like it? The reviews were so mixed so I'm curious to hear from someone I kinda sorta know.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,028,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Did you like it? The reviews were so mixed so I'm curious to hear from someone I kinda sorta know.
First off - let me just agree with everyone else - it doesn't matter what you read - fluff, heavy stuff, high class literature, romance, etc - as long as you enjoy it! I go back and forth between reading the Twilight Series, Jane Austen, The Soookie Stackhouse Series, Charles Dickens, etc. As long as I find it enjoyable - it's worth it!

Let's see... A Reliable Wife... Well, it was... interesting. We actually had a really good book club discussion on it but I don't think anyone was really crazy about the book. It was kind of like a soap opera. And it was supposed to be really steamy - but none of us found it particularly...um... well - steamy. We wondered if it was because it was written by a man and we were all women. But I digress - it was an interesting book and I liked the main characters and the growth and depth of feeling that they experienced. But like I said - we all felt like it was a bit of a soap opera. I can understand why the reviews would be so mixed. It's not that long and I don't think that it would be a waste of time to read it - but I would reccommend many, many other books over this one. Hope this helps!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Let's see... A Reliable Wife... Well, it was... interesting. We actually had a really good book club discussion on it but I don't think anyone was really crazy about the book. It was kind of like a soap opera. And it was supposed to be really steamy - but none of us found it particularly...um... well - steamy. We wondered if it was because it was written by a man and we were all women. But I digress - it was an interesting book and I liked the main characters and the growth and depth of feeling that they experienced. But like I said - we all felt like it was a bit of a soap opera. I can understand why the reviews would be so mixed. It's not that long and I don't think that it would be a waste of time to read it - but I would reccommend many, many other books over this one. Hope this helps!
Yup, that helped. I'm not buying it. Soap operas and I don't get along. That's why I stopped watching the TV show House -- it got to be like a soap opera.

As for the steamy? Eh...

The rest of what you said appealed to me -- it was an interesting book and I liked the main characters and the growth and depth of feeling that they experienced -- but the soap opera part of it will overshadow all the good stuff for me.

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
I just read a couple of 'light' books I never posted about. I read Altar of Eden by James Rollins because some years ago I read a book by him that I remember thinking was not bad. I thought Altar of Eden was pretty bad so maybe I was drinking when I read the other book.

But one thing I have noticed about a lot of the writers that pump out a lot of books, is that their first couple of books are pretty good and then it is like they get lazy, and/or they feel under a lot of pressure to produce, and their subsequent books read more like a synopsis than a fledged-out novel. And unfortunately, having made a 'name' for themselves, their books still sell based on their previous work which readers liked. It really annoys me when I come across writers I feel write like that. I feel cheated. Robbed .

And I also got in an order from Amazon and just ahead of the blizzard we had yesterday. Can't get off the driveway and no point in clearing it until the wind lets up so I have no excuse not to read.

It normally isn't my thing but I wanted something light and I read an old book called Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth Philips who is a fine genre romance writer.

I am now reading Lucifer's Hammer because I have read so much about it on this board. Then I have a variety of other books waiting for me including The Nineteenth Wife by David Ebershoff. I loved his Pasadena. I can't recommend him highly enough if anyone has not yet heard about him. It is literary fiction.

Then there is a fantasy writer I had never heard of called Patricia A. McKillip. I ordered a book called The Forgotten Beasts of Eld based on the fact that it won the World Fantasy Award one year. I like to try different books now and then in case I discover a writer I really like. It isn't about the genre for me, as about whether the writer can write a good story.

Last edited by netwit; 02-18-2011 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times
I've read a whole bunch of the free short stories I've downloaded to my iPad from the Nook app. Some of them are really awful, but it's a quick mindless read, which I sometimes really need. I agree with not worrying about what you read. I'm with DandJ and will respect you for the fact that you are reading. I'm so happy I got my hubby to start reading more too (which isn't much, but better than nothing ).

I am currently reading "Courting Miss Amsel" by Kim Vogel Sawyer. LOVE her books!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:34 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
I just received an order from amazon, too.

It included Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum and Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.

I'm having some difficulty getting into A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell. I may put it aside for a while. I can tell that this one is only going to get deeper and deeper and I don't feel like having to concentrate that much today. I'm in a lazy mood. I don't want to think. I just want to read an entertaining book. I have several in arrears that won't require "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy."

Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,774,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just received an order from amazon, too.

It included Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum and Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.
I have just added Those Who Save Us to my reading list. I'm listening to Cutting for Stone right now as I paint our den. It can be a little course and very medical-ish (duh), but it's so, so good. I hope you enjoy it!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:19 PM

I'm on a Ketabcha recommendation roll:

I just finished 84 Charing Cross Road (which included Duchess of Bloombury Street). I loved this so much that I ordered two more by Helene Hanff: Apple of My Eye and Letter From New York.

Next up -- either starting tonight or tomorrow -- is The Wall, which she highly recommended. It's totally not my kind of book, but I've promised to love it. Or at least like it. Or at least not hate it. Nah, I'm sure I'll think it's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books