Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times

Advertisements

I just started the novel The 19th Wife and I am totally in love with it even though I've only read 27 pages.

The narrator of the present-day sections is a 20 year old young man who is so darn humorous. His asides are perfect while his past is depressing. It is a bit helpful to know something about polygamist sects to understand exactly what he is sometimes referring to but if the reader does not there is no great loss in it.

This book is sounding so familiar to me. I then realized I saw the movie within the last year. I think it was made-for-TV and I have no clue what happens in it. That's a good thing because the book will surprise me. I seem to be suffering from CRS from time to time these days and in this case it's helpful.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 02-24-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM

19,559 posts, read 19,965,628 times
Started reading The Great Gatsby, again, just for the hell of it.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,462,691 times
Simple Genius by David Baldacci....a great author. The books flow so well that I often read one in a day.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just started the novel The 19th Wife and I am totally in love with it even though I've only read 27 pages.

The narrator of the present-day sections is a 20 year old young man who is so darn humorous. His asides are perfect while his past is depressing. It is a bit helpful to know something about the LDS Church to understand exactly what he is sometimes referring to but if the reader does not there is no great loss in it.

This book is sounding so familiar to me. I then realized I saw the movie within the last year. I think it was made-for-TV and I have no clue what happens in it. That's a good thing because the book will surprise me. I seem to be suffering from CRS from time to time these days and in this case it's helpful.
It is a wonderful book isn't it? I'm 200 pages in. What I want to know is whether the 19th century 19th wife is based on a real person? Do you happen to know?

I had no clue it had been made into a movie. And I have no clue what will happen in the book.

After light shimmer talked me into it , I managed to sneak into the bookstore today just long enough to pick up two of Larry Niven's books since I liked Lucifer's Hammer so much. I am just a little curious as to how it is that he seems to write always with a co-writer? Different co-writers?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,028,650 times
The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy. I'm loving it! It's making me laugh and cry all at the same time! Then again, that could just be all my hormones wreaking havoc on me... But it's a great book for all mothers-to-be.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It is a wonderful book isn't it? I'm 200 pages in. What I want to know is whether the 19th century 19th wife is based on a real person? Do you happen to know?
I don't think she is based on a real person but I'm going to start checking his links to wiki and the LDS archive to make sure. I'll also check with a friend who knows the history of the church. It's labeled "novel" and I think if the 19th century character was real it would be mentioned somewhere.

I loved Lucifer's Hammer, too. Scary stuff but it sure could happen.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:07 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,788,851 times
Finished The Scourge of God (finally) and onto the next in the series The Sword of the Lady . It seems The Change series is also known as the "emberverse series", no idea why.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,352,463 times
Reading ~~ "Scared To Death" , by: Wendy Corsi-Staub

Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,184,788 times
Quote:

I had no clue it had been made into a movie. And I have no clue what will happen in the book.

After light shimmer talked me into it , I managed to sneak into the bookstore today just long enough to pick up two of Larry Niven's books since I liked Lucifer's Hammer so much. I am just a little curious as to how it is that he seems to write always with a co-writer? Different co-writers?

Happy to help

Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Ann Eliza Young was a real person but the biographical info about her in this book is based on some guess work but mostly facts. The author mentions that in his "notes and acknowledgments."

I also checked around on the internet and she was married to Brigham Young and was his 19th wife. She wrote a memoir and was an advocate for women's rights and took a strong stand against polygamy. She died in 1925.

She was really an amazing woman and I'm so glad to find out that she really did exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books