Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,773,442 times

Advertisements

I finished The Help today. Now, I did read some of the negative reviews about it on goodreads.com (after finishing it). I absolutely disagree with them. I thought it was a really good novel, especially a first novel. I spent 16 years living in MS as a girl. While the attitudes toward segregation and equality are mostly different (there are hold outs all over the country - let's not fool ourselves), the superior, I-will-get-my-way-because-my-daddy/brother/boyfriend/husband-is-important-in-this-town/state is extraordinarily prevalent (my experience). I could very much relate to Skeeter. 1990's MS was much, much better than 1960's MS, I'm sure, but some of the underlying attitudes were still very much alive. The novel just hit a chord with me. I really enjoyed it.

I'm off to read a little Oliver Twist and Truth & Fiction in the da Vinci Code and listen to The Sun Also Rises. I have been putting off OT for 2 months. Just haven't been in the mood for Brit Lit, but I'm forcing myself to push onward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 AM

220 posts, read 279,980 times
I've been reading White Noise by Don DeLillo. I haven't gotten to far into it but am liking it so far!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 AM

7,216 posts, read 9,173,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Ann Eliza Young was a real person but the biographical info about her in this book is based on some guess work but mostly facts. The author mentions that in his "notes and acknowledgments."

I also checked around on the internet and she was married to Brigham Young and was his 19th wife. She wrote a memoir and was an advocate for women's rights and took a strong stand against polygamy. She died in 1925.

She was really an amazing woman and I'm so glad to find out that she really did exist.
Thanks! The further I got into the book, the more I thought she must be a real, historical figure. He delves into the history of the Mormon church and it didn't make sense that he would totally make up a character. It read to me like he used available historical resources with writerly imagination to fill in the gaps.

I guess the son who has his version of the story told in some chapters later on, must also be based on the historical character.

Well. Thanks again for the research. It doesn't really matter as far as the quality of the book is concerned, but it does add another layer to the book.

I hadn't even thought to skip to any author's notes . I have about a 100 pages to go but I still don't know how the last 19th wife mystery is solved. If in fact it is.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,184,602 times
I got a couple books from a reader service as a free trial.....and will not be getting a membership. If I hadn't been so desperate for something new to read I probably would have put this book down before I got two chapters into it. The one I've read so far is called "Promise Canyon" by Robyn Carr. Blah. It's actually not that bad of a story line, but the writing is terrible. The author is listed as a National bestseller and I'm not entirely sure how. The only way I can describe it is the story is being told instead of letting if unfold....if that makes sense. Too much explanation in short declarative sentences, not enough description or feeling in the writing. Not my cup of tea. Also- you know how some writers will tell a story surrounding a town and all the different characters tie in throughout several different books? It's like that.....except they don't seem to be tying in very well. The thread of the main story seems to get lost here and there.
Not impressed what so ever.

The other one is a book by Carla Neggars....can't remember the name at this moment and am too lazy to walk upstairs to look at it lol. Hopes aren't high. A Black Falls Novel I think? She's another writer who tends to write about a town/group of people. Not a bad writer, but I seem to always get the books half way through a story line and have to figure out who's who through most of the book. We'll see how it goes.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:38 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,935,869 times
"To try Mens Souls, A Novel of George Washington and the fight for American Freedom."

You on the left wouldn't comprehend.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 PM

4,693 posts, read 4,330,390 times
I am almost halfway through \HALF BROKE HORSES and enjoying it very much- thanks to all the recommendations offered here for it. I think I am just very stressed lately and although I love reading a good book I just have not been in a reading mode of late so everything is taking me longer.
When I finish that I am going to read Persepolis which I had never heard of, but my daughter recommended it and raved about it. anyone read that one? it looks great (and a relatively quick read
Amazon.com: Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (9780375714573): Marjane Satrapi: Books

Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,171,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"To try Mens Souls, A Novel of George Washington and the fight for American Freedom."

Don't bank on it.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,171,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am almost halfway through \HALF BROKE HORSES and enjoying it very much- thanks to all the recommendations offered here for it. I think I am just very stressed lately and although I love reading a good book I just have not been in a reading mode of late so everything is taking me longer.
When I finish that I am going to read Persepolis which I had never heard of, but my daughter recommended it and raved about it. anyone read that one? it looks great (and a relatively quick read
Amazon.com: Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (9780375714573): Marjane Satrapi: Books

I've read it and I loved it.

It was also made into an Oscar nominated animated film. I read the book before I saw the film. Both are excellent.

You might enjoy Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. It certainly proves how lucky we are in this country to be able to read anything we want to read. Not all people on this planet can do that. A lot of people on this planet cannot even read, period.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:31 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,801,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Was Newt Gingrich the co-author of TO TRY MEN's SOULS? I just finished the one by him about George Washington's winter at Valley Forge. It gave me an even greater appreciation for the sacrifices that our men in the armed forces suffered. Gingrich and his coauther did a very good job on that one.

GL2

Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,802,760 times
Big-time concentration problems abound. I started a few books, got part way through them, was enjoying them, then lost interest. I didn't lose interest to the point that the books are done deals, though -- I'll have to go back to them at some point, and start them again.

Now I'm reading Life of Pi. I'm at approx. page 70 and am enjoying it. I hope that it doesn't meet the same fate as the past few books that I've tried.

It's ironic that I'm 10 years late to Life of Pi. The book won the Man Booker Prize, which is usually an invitation for me to buy the book. But more than that, the author lives in Montreal -- where I'm originally from -- so I really *should* have read it. When I lived in Montreal, many of my friends told me how good it is, but the synopsis had no appeal for me. I guess I'm a late bloomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books