Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,120,734 times

Advertisements

I am reading Suite Francaise (sp?) (or as the librarian said "sweet franchise"). Not really enjoying it. I'm about 2/3 through, so it' s not like I'm putting it aside...guess I though I would like it more since there has been so much talk of it.

Also reading one of Suze Orman's books... really like her!

I can't find the link that one of ya posted of where to buy The Wall...anyone help me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,105,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I am reading Suite Francaise (sp?) (or as the librarian said "sweet franchise"). Not really enjoying it. I'm about 2/3 through, so it' s not like I'm putting it aside...guess I though I would like it more since there has been so much talk of it.

Also reading one of Suze Orman's books... really like her!

I can't find the link that one of ya posted of where to buy The Wall...anyone help me??
I received an email from Ebay this afternoon saying that the bidding (or sale) of The Wall would soon end. I would go there as soon as you can, Lolagranola, if you want a copy quickly. I bought one copy from Ebay for $4 and some cents! It is really a wonderful book.

Also, you can check Powells dot com and Symposium dot com. They both carry out of print books. All of the ones that I have ordered from them arrived in brand new condition with the covers never even opened. Powells does have a mailing option, like thrift or basic - I forget now what they call it, but you do not want that shipping option. It took over a month for me to receive a book from them after I was notified that it shipped with my invoice number. I called a couple of times and was told if I didn't receive it within a couple of more weeks to let them know! I think it's called Pony Express.
I didn't really get into Suite Francaise myself until I was about half way through. I think because I just did not like the characters very much. But, that is part of the message that Nemirovsky was conveying. I hope you enjoy the last third.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:46 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,217,477 times
I'm currently reading "The door to december" by Dean Koontz. My next one after this will be "20 years of censored news." That ought to be really interesting.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 PM

Thank you Gem!!

Hey, I read 20 Years of Censored News about4-5 years ago! Interesting, though I don't recall specifics.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,105,183 times
You are very welcome, lolagranola.

Njkate and tulegirl, you were both so right on about Great Granny Webster. If one wants a quick read (just over 100 pages), very sophisticated wit, and amazingly eccentric characters, this will be a fun book to pick up.

I am going to read others by Caroline Blackwood. She is very clever and quietly humorous.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 AM

I just read Sold by Patricia McCormick. Desperately poor family (unwittingly?) sells their young daughter into prostitution.

Very simply, and well, written. Heartbreaking. I feel obligated to read everything I find like this!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,423,648 times
Default A tad bored with it

Still reading Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette, the foundation for Sophia Coppolla's film, same title. Had I known Coppolla's portrayal was exactly like the book, I think I could've skipped reading it. Oooh, did I just say that?

Cormac McCarthy's The Road sits here on the table in the family room. Goes from here to the nightstand with me, but I have yet to get started on it.

I've had company this week -- our former exchange student is here from college. I've become Mom to a teenager again, and it's gonna be the death of me. My poor husband too. We are SO out of practice.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 AM

13,378 posts, read 28,629,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
You are very welcome, lolagranola.

Njkate and tulegirl, you were both so right on about Great Granny Webster. If one wants a quick read (just over 100 pages), very sophisticated wit, and amazingly eccentric characters, this will be a fun book to pick up.

I am going to read others by Caroline Blackwood. She is very clever and quietly humorous.
yes, I am going to look for other books by caroline Blackwood as well
Coming from Northern irish Roots..the book was a hoot to me

Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 AM

13,378 posts, read 28,629,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Still reading Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette, the foundation for Sophia Coppolla's film, same title. Had I known Coppolla's portrayal was exactly like the book, I think I could've skipped reading it. Oooh, did I just say that?

Cormac McCarthy's The Road sits here on the table in the family room. Goes from here to the nightstand with me, but I have yet to get started on it.

I've had company this week -- our former exchange student is here from college. I've become Mom to a teenager again, and it's gonna be the death of me. My poor husband too. We are SO out of practice.
I hope you enjoy The Road
I had a difficult time with it..all though I must say I can't wait for the discussion on The Wall to open!! I'm hoping many have read both books and see what their thoughts are..I was totally engrossed by The Wall couldn't put it down

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM

128 posts, read 307,635 times
I just finished The Host by Stephenie Meyer. It was amazing. Seriously, it was one of the best books I have read in such a long time. If you are a fan of science fiction, I definitely recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books