Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I'm reading Maeve Binchy's newest Minding Frankie. It's so good, if you like her writing, and Who Do You Think You Are? By Alyse Myers, a very good memoir.
I just started Minding Frankie, too, Jess. I was thrilled to see she had a new book out. I'm not very far into it yet but I already love it. She is such a delightful writer and really draws me in with her excellent character development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,956,963 times
I've already given up on The Edible Woman. It's not the book's fault, I don't think. It's probably mine. My focusing skills are shot -- just too much other stuff going on. Sheesh, just when I need a good book to escape into, I can't focus enough to let it grab ahold of me.

Up next (and hopefully it'll drag me in): The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:02 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,646,892 times
Hi all. After reading this thread, I know I have to add Half-Broke Horses to my reading list. Jeanette Walls sounds like a fine author.
I re-read Rebecca recently and have to say I enjoyed it more the second time...which is usually the case. That's why we all have bookcases, right?
I recently bought Oliver Twist because I was never assigned it in school. It's kind'a neat that I come here to find that someone else has just read it.

What I'm reading now is What Would Your Character Do? by Eric Maisel. I've finally joined a crit group, hoping it will force me to finish the novel I've been "working on" (read: procrastinating) for about 3 years.

I really enjoyed reading what everyone had to say about their books, so I'll definitely be back.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:09 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,454,307 times
Im reading "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave

"Little Bee" is about a young Nigerian refugee whose very existence changes the lives of a group of English citizens in dramatic ways. It's a good story and well-written.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,482,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr.R View Post
Hi all. After reading this thread, I know I have to add Half-Broke Horses to my reading list. Jeanette Walls sounds like a fine author.
I re-read Rebecca recently and have to say I enjoyed it more the second time...which is usually the case. That's why we all have bookcases, right?
I recently bought Oliver Twist because I was never assigned it in school. It's kind'a neat that I come here to find that someone else has just read it.

What I'm reading now is What Would Your Character Do? by Eric Maisel. I've finally joined a crit group, hoping it will force me to finish the novel I've been "working on" (read: procrastinating) for about 3 years.

I really enjoyed reading what everyone had to say about their books, so I'll definitely be back.
Highly recommendd her first book, The Glass Castle. It is astounding how her family lived; and as a result, the tenacity that she had to accomplish her own successful life. I have not yet read Hafl Broke Horses but it is on my wish list. (Currentlly reading The Help, and that is awesome ! ) I'm not into sci fi, or gory murder mysteries; although a friend of mine loves the Lee Childs books I just can't make those work. Good heartwarming stories, or fact based fiction is more me. You will love Jeannette Walls.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,956,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Lindo View Post

"Little Bee" is about a young Nigerian refugee whose very existence changes the lives of a group of English citizens in dramatic ways. It's a good story and well-written.
I absolutely LOVED this book! Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,792,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Lindo View Post

It's interesting to me how different I am from many of the posters here. I absolutely did not like Little Bee. I was hugely disappointed. Glad you and DandJ like(d) it.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:55 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Highly recommendd her first book, The Glass Castle. It is astounding how her family lived; and as a result, the tenacity that she had to accomplish her own successful life. I have not yet read Hafl Broke Horses but it is on my wish list. (Currentlly reading The Help, and that is awesome ! ) I'm not into sci fi, or gory murder mysteries; although a friend of mine loves the Lee Childs books I just can't make those work. Good heartwarming stories, or fact based fiction is more me. You will love Jeannette Walls.
Check out books by Maeve Binchey. I have never read one that I didn't like. She wrote Circle of Friends. Her books are heartwarming after the characters make it through a lot of "stuff." These are really feeling-good books.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,362,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just started Minding Frankie, too, Jess. I was thrilled to see she had a new book out. I'm not very far into it yet but I already love it. She is such a delightful writer and really draws me in with her excellent character development.
Have you read all of her books? I was reading Whitethorn Woods when I got the call that Minding Frankie was in. It's so good, and I'm so glad you are reading it because I need to ask you something about an incident in it when you are through. You know how she brings up a lot of the same characters in different books? I would think that would be mind boggling, to keep them all straight. I know she has a system set up for that, but still, goodness, I wouldn't want to do it.
My favorite book of hers was Scarlet Feather. This other book I'm reading, Who Do You Think You Are, is one of the best memoirs I've read, and I've a lot of them.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:48 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,646,892 times
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm a happy gal now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books