Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'll be most interested in hearing what you think when/if you finish the book. It sounds very good but I would probably be weepy, too.
Well, I finished it 2 nites ago... it was a VERY good book;I did not read every word of it but while reading it I kind of felt like it was the least I could do. It was extremely touching- I mean this was an embedded reported writing about real people.
It is well written and an important but not so pleasant subject.
THE GOOD SOLDIER by David Finkel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
I just finished Julia Child's memoir My Life in France. She was an amazing woman with such a zest for life. Her methods of learning to cook and preparing recipes was scientific--it made we wonder what she could have done with her life if women of her class were encouraged to be scientists or engineers in her day.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,064 times
Life.. by the Great.... Keith Richards.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I've never read SKs' sci-fi stuff but recently read The Shining. I thought it was pretty well-written, especially compared to the movie. I found myself wishing the movie had been more faithful to the book. I'm about to read Christine and Misery.
I also recently read Led Zeppelin: When Giants Walked the Earth. I can see why Jimmy Page ended his friendship with the author. Mostlly conjecture and second-hand information. I just wanted to read anything about Zep and Pages' book is a little out of my league. I believe it sells for around $700.
I'm reading "Hammer of the Gods" although I'm only into Chapter 3. Hammer is supposed to be the tome with the salacious details. We'll see. So far, Jimmy Page has not been cast as a bad guy. For example, he was criticized for being a good money manager. Who wants to work for free? I'm reading Hammer first, but also have "When Giants Walked the Earth." Ever since I read "Life" I have been motivated to research rock Gods. I never had the time nor inclination to focus on rock star's personalities when I was younger. One point made in the NYT review of Giants was that Mick never included comments about the amazing music. So far, although not very far into Hammer, I like. I love all these rock stars solo albums; Robert Plant, Mark Knopfler. Mick's working on one now. Steven Tyler's autobiography will be out this summer.
Recent I read the following:
Why Sinatra Matters - Pete Hamill - as far as I'm concerned, the ultimate expert on NYC. I've started "Snow In Summer." I've never read one of his books I didn't enjoy. I'm now reading some of Pete's research material for Sinatra; i.e., Ava Gardner's bio.

The Glass Room - Simon Mawrer - relationships were poorly defined. I don't have to every detail made clear. I could never figure out why this guy sought out a mistress.
Isabelle and Amy - After reading Olive Kittredge, this was a disappointment.
Let the Great World Spin - not in the mood for this one. The staccato phrasing drove me crazy. I don't have to have ten similies to get the point.

NYT Review of Page book plus some pics
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/ar...pagewanted=all
NYT Review of When Gods Walked the Earth
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/bo...gewanted=print

Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well, I finished it 2 nites ago... it was a VERY good book;I did not read every word of it but while reading it I kind of felt like it was the least I could do. It was extremely touching- I mean this was an embedded reported writing about real people.
It is well written and an important but not so pleasant subject.
THE GOOD SOLDIER by David Finkel
Thank you so much for the review, Mayveene.

I may wait a while to read this one. It sounds like an excellent book. I'm just not quite ready to cry again over a true story.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Life.. by the Great.... Keith Richards.
I loved this memoir.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM

306 posts, read 135,757 times
frostbitten by kelly armstrong, great read but probs not for those with a thing for fantasy.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm reading "Hammer of the Gods" although I'm only into Chapter 3. Hammer is supposed to be the tome with the salacious details. We'll see. So far, Jimmy Page has not been cast as a bad guy. For example, he was criticized for being a good money manager. Who wants to work for free? I'm reading Hammer first, but also have "When Giants Walked the Earth." Ever since I read "Life" I have been motivated to research rock Gods. I never had the time nor inclination to focus on rock star's personalities when I was younger. One point made in the NYT review of Giants was that Mick never included comments about the amazing music. So far, although not very far into Hammer, I like. I love all these rock stars solo albums; Robert Plant, Mark Knopfler. Mick's working on one now. Steven Tyler's autobiography will be out this summer.
Recent I read the following:
Why Sinatra Matters - Pete Hamill - as far as I'm concerned, the ultimate expert on NYC. I've started "Snow In Summer." I've never read one of his books I didn't enjoy. I'm now reading some of Pete's research material for Sinatra; i.e., Ava Gardner's bio.

The Glass Room - Simon Mawrer - relationships were poorly defined. I don't have to every detail made clear. I could never figure out why this guy sought out a mistress.
Isabelle and Amy - After reading Olive Kittredge, this was a disappointment.
Let the Great World Spin - not in the mood for this one. The staccato phrasing drove me crazy. I don't have to have ten similies to get the point.

NYT Review of Page book plus some pics
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/ar...pagewanted=all
NYT Review of When Gods Walked the Earth
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/bo...gewanted=print
I actually liked Isabelle and Amy quite a bit. I found their relationship -- with each other and with others -- very interesting.

But you've scared me about Let the Great World Spin. It's on its way to me as I'm typing this, and now I'm a bit hmmmm about it. I'm OK with staccato -- in fact, I like it very much sometimes -- but I don't need to be pounded over the head with 10 similes when, uh, zero would do.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,418 times
I'm reading "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. Sweet chocolate christ on a cracker... what. a. life!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times
I just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany and really, really enjoyed it. I'm off to start Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez now. Hope it's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books