Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times

Advertisements

Just finished

Passing by Nella Larsen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 04:21 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times
This thread is over 3900 posts, so I'm reading "City-data: The Novelization"

Seriously though, I'm just about to start "The Art of Racing in the Rain"

Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just finished The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter. I enjoyed it VERY much.

Amazon.com: the feast of love: Books

I'm about to start on Old Books, Rare Friends, which I think sounds sweet.

Amazon.com: Old Books, Rare Friends: Two Literary Sleuths and Their Shared Passion (9780385485159): Madeline B. Stern, Leona Rostenberg: Books

Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
Relentless by Koontz.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just finished The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter. I enjoyed it VERY much.

Amazon.com: the feast of love: Books

I'm about to start on Old Books, Rare Friends, which I think sounds sweet.

Amazon.com: Old Books, Rare Friends: Two Literary Sleuths and Their Shared Passion (9780385485159): Madeline B. Stern, Leona Rostenberg: Books
If you like books about language, you might enjoy this book of a few years ago called The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester about the making of the Oxford English dictionary. It's a very good book.

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary: Amazon.ca: Simon Winchester: Books

Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If you like books about language, you might enjoy this book of a few years ago called The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester about the making of the Oxford English dictionary. It's a very good book.

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary: Amazon.ca: Simon Winchester: Books
Thanks for that!

I'm suspecting that, if anything, I'm going to enjoy the stories of the lives of these two odd duck women, rather than their love of rare books, but we'll see how it goes. I managed to get through two! whole! pages of it yesterday.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,444 times
Just finished Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. True story about a young man who, after graduating from college, rejects everything about his somewhat privileged life and decides to try to live off the land. He travels around the country and even to Mexico at one point, and ends up in the wilds of Alaska.

Unfortunately, he doesn't make it out alive; ultimately he dies from starvation. But he kept a journal and Krakauer used that as well as extensive interviews with the people that interacted with the guy along the way to reconstruct what happened. The book was interesting, but I really just couldn't relate to the mindset of this kid. What was he trying to prove? That he could live without civilization and society? Why? How could he do this to his family (who were not told of his plans and simply never heard from him again until being informed of his death)?

I don't know...maybe it's a guy thing.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
"Runaway Horses", a 40-year old novel by Yukio Mishima. It promises to be an interesting story, but by a tiresome writer, and I don't think I can blame it on the translator. It brings to mind John Fowles.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob- Mr Ayoob is one of this nations premier experts on the use of weapons in Tactical and Combat situations. Should be required reading for all handgun owners.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Just finished Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. True story about a young man who, after graduating from college, rejects everything about his somewhat privileged life and decides to try to live off the land. He travels around the country and even to Mexico at one point, and ends up in the wilds of Alaska.

Unfortunately, he doesn't make it out alive; ultimately he dies from starvation. But he kept a journal and Krakauer used that as well as extensive interviews with the people that interacted with the guy along the way to reconstruct what happened. The book was interesting, but I really just couldn't relate to the mindset of this kid. What was he trying to prove? That he could live without civilization and society? Why? How could he do this to his family (who were not told of his plans and simply never heard from him again until being informed of his death)?

I don't know...maybe it's a guy thing.
i loved this book!

and ya I think it is a guy thing, being out in the wild is there element, what they thrive for

wasnt too fond of the movie though def prefer the book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books