Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 03:13 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Have you read Forever by Pete Hamill? I just picked it up today at Goodwill, for $1. It sounded fascinating.
No. I have not read that one but I do have his autobiography in my hot little hands. A Drinking Life.

I'm about to start "Back Roads" by Tawni O'Dell. I hope I like it. Right now I'm on a TV jag watching "Locked Up Abroad" which is a show about Americans in prison in foreign countries for doing really stupid things which usually involve drugs. It's mindless fare and that's what I need right now.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 03-26-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:32 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
I just finished reading "The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" by Kevin and Alex Malarkey. It is the true story of a 6 year old boy who suffered an internal decapitation in an auto accident in 2004. Alex was not expected to live as it is extremely rare to survive this kind of accident and even rarer to survive with no loss of mentality. Nevertheless, he did survive and with his mind intact. When Alex began to come out of his coma after 2 months, he was eventually able to tell his parents of having visited Heaven and what it was like. Alex remains paralyzed from the neck down but for all intents and purposes, he is very normal and able to enjoy life. This book can easily be passed off as "just another Christian inspirational book", as the Christian faith of the family plays a central role in having helped them to weather this tragedy, but I would recommend this book to anyone for no other purpose than it is a story of a boy and his family living through and overcoming a devastating tragedy. Whether you want to believe he really visited Heaven or not is immaterial--it's still a good read and a good story of triumph over overwhelming odds.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
The Stranger by Albert Camus.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:25 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished reading The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.

I'm not even sure why I bought it. I think someone mentioned it in this thread. I'm a movie addict but I have never seen the movie. The premise just did not appeal to me.

It's a fast read. I read it in one day (okay, one day and half of the next).

I'm so totally impressed with this writer. She wrote the book when she was 16 and in high school.

It's a gentle book when he peels back the layers of the characters. It's also a tough book. I would have thought that reading about high school gangs in the Oklahoma of the 60s would be boring. Not so. And, besides, it's core is not about gangs. It's about a group of teenagers who are in a gang...mostly for their own protection and also because they need a "family" spirit in their lives. Each has been wounded emotionally and some have been wounded physically. It is one the best coming-of-age books I have ever read. I'm astounded and somewhat guilty that I let preconcieved notions keep me from reading this treasure for so many years.

When I finished it, about 10 minutes ago, I wanted to stand up and yell "Yes." I didn't because I knew it would scare my cats.

It's an excellent book.
Now you've read the book, you really should watch the movie.

Quote:
Director Francis Coppola's adaptation of the popular S.E. Hinton novel about the price of rebellious youth is notable chiefly for the stunning cast of young actors who went on to rich and varied careers. In supporting roles, the film features the likes of Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Diane Lane, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, and Tom Waits, among others.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
No. I have not read that one but I do have his autobiography in my hot little hands. A Drinking Life.

I'm about to start "Back Roads" by Tawni O'Dell. I hope I like it. Right now I'm on a TV jag watching "Locked Up Abroad" which is a show about Americans in prison in foreign countries for doing really stupid things which usually involve drugs. It's mindless fare and that's what I need right now.
I don't think Tawni O'Dell could write a bad book if she had to. I'm reading Precious and Fragile Things by Megan Hart. Amazon.com: Precious and Fragile Things (9780778329244): Megan Hart: Books

Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 AM

I had to bail on The Stranger by Albert Camus. The copy that I picked up at Goodwill was so heavily written in that I couldn't stop from being disgustingly distracted by the notes, underlining, highlighting, and arrows (with MORE notes).

I'm going to read Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri next. I'm not a great fan of short stories, but it won the Pulitzer Prize, so I'm going in with an open mind.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I finished up PERSEPOLIS which was very good and interesting. In vacation mode, read THE CONFESSOR by Daniel Silva. It was recommended to me as a sort of Ludlum type and it was a great read, a real page turner. 'I dont typically read those espionage ones but they are perfect for the beach...and I did enjoy it. The author has also written a slew of other books so I will now have something to read when I can't seem to get into reading(which hs been happening a fair amount latley) Very good twists and great current event references which really get you wondering what is true and what is fiction..
On a totally different bend, my next book is TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE which belive it or not I have not read. I am expecting to love it.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I just finished reading "The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" by Kevin and Alex Malarkey. It is the true story of a 6 year old boy who suffered an internal decapitation in an auto accident in 2004. Alex was not expected to live as it is extremely rare to survive this kind of accident and even rarer to survive with no loss of mentality. Nevertheless, he did survive and with his mind intact. When Alex began to come out of his coma after 2 months, he was eventually able to tell his parents of having visited Heaven and what it was like. Alex remains paralyzed from the neck down but for all intents and purposes, he is very normal and able to enjoy life. This book can easily be passed off as "just another Christian inspirational book", as the Christian faith of the family plays a central role in having helped them to weather this tragedy, but I would recommend this book to anyone for no other purpose than it is a story of a boy and his family living through and overcoming a devastating tragedy. Whether you want to believe he really visited Heaven or not is immaterial--it's still a good read and a good story of triumph over overwhelming odds.
Oh my gosh! It's not the type of book that I could read -- it would haunt me, even though the ending is "positive" -- but that sounds like an amazing story.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
re-reading "Drums of Autumn" volume four of the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I had to bail on The Stranger by Albert Camus. The copy that I picked up at Goodwill was so heavily written in that I couldn't stop from being disgustingly distracted by the notes, underlining, highlighting, and arrows (with MORE notes).

I'm going to read Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri next. I'm not a great fan of short stories, but it won the Pulitzer Prize, so I'm going in with an open mind.
Apparently The Stranger has two very different English translations. One is old and one is rather new.

Boo Hiss! to whoever marked up that book. What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books