Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading They Call Me Agnes by Fred W. Voget. It's the story of a Crow Indian woman's life. There is nothing particularly interesting about her life, other than it gives an insight into Crow culture as it changed from the 1930s to the present time.

I am now reading Methland by Nick Reding and although I'm just into it, I think I'm going to like it. He balances his journalistic POV with his own background of growing up in a rural community.

I picked up a number of books, very quickly at the local used book sale, including Born Indian by W.P. Kinsella, Inscriptions, A Prairie Poetry Anthology, edited by Dennis Cooley, a well-known local poet (been reading through it here and there), what seems to be a post-apoc type of book by James Axler called Aftermath, and a bunch of other books.

I am well-set with reading material for a while now with my recent Amazon purchases, what I picked up at the bookstore last week, and now the used book sale. (I was well-set before I went to either Amazon or the used book sale, but, whatever. Hard to conceive of having 'enough' books, somehow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:50 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,205,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I just finished reading They Call Me Agnes by Fred W. Voget. It's the story of a Crow Indian woman's life. There is nothing particularly interesting about her life, other than it gives an insight into Crow culture as it changed from the 1930s to the present time.

I am now reading Methland by Nick Reding and although I'm just into it, I think I'm going to like it. He balances his journalistic POV with his own background of growing up in a rural community.

I picked up a number of books, very quickly at the local used book sale, including Born Indian by W.P. Kinsella, Inscriptions, A Prairie Poetry Anthology, edited by Dennis Cooley, a well-known local poet (been reading through it here and there), what seems to be a post-apoc type of book by James Axler called Aftermath, and a bunch of other books.

I am well-set with reading material for a while now with my recent Amazon purchases, what I picked up at the bookstore last week, and now the used book sale. (I was well-set before I went to either Amazon or the used book sale, but, whatever. Hard to conceive of having 'enough' books, somehow).

I was reading up on James Axler on amazon. The guy has written at least a hundred books. The Outlanders Series is his work. I'll be interested in hearing what you think of Aftermath. I've never read any of his books.
He seems to be the Louis L'amour of science fiction.

Agreed. There is no such thing as having "enough" books.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Now you've read the book, you really should watch the movie.
What a cast. Ralph Macchio plays Johnny.

Yes, I will watch the movie. The casting looks perfect. I read an interview with the author and she said that Coppola was so good to her during filming. She was there for everything and was called upon to give her advice on how her characters would react to things.

I'm wondering if I should read Rumble Fish. Have you read it?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:04 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,800,535 times
Haven't read Rumble Fish but the movie of the book with (a very young) Matt Dillon, Mickey Rourke and Diane Lane is on my wish list (due in part to my slogging through every single movie Nic Cage has been in lol). It's also one directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Just sped through all 226 pages of Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (was made into the movie Christmas with the Kranks)

Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Just sped through all 226 pages of Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (was made into the movie Christmas with the Kranks)
Speaking of Grisham, I received The Confession from someone yesterday. I have not read Grisham in a long time. I consider A Time To Kill, The Firm, The Pelican Brief to be among his best but it's been a while since I have ready any of this others.

Has anyone read The Confession and did you like it?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Reading The Experiment by John Dartnon. Some of the reviews on Amazon weren't good but I'm liking it anyway. If you've ever seen the movie The Island, you can see the similarities in the stories.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:21 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,405,600 times
Wishful Drinking ..Carrie Fisher

"If my life wasn't funny it would just be true, and that is unacceptable."

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,909,832 times
Just finished Christine. I was a little disappointed at what I thought was signposting, particularly when Christines' owner is having 'the talk' with his dad. His dad proceeds to outline everything going wrong with the kid as if to say "Look reader, in case you missed it, here's a summary of how far round the bend Cunningham is going due to the car". Thanks Stephen, but we're a pretty intelligent bunch. Still, it kept me interested and absorbed until the end.

Spoiler

I also thought the milometer running backwards was setting up the story for something cataclysmic when it got to zero. OTOH, that would probably be cliche and predictable.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,410,701 times
Reading "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Stockton, so far ... excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books