Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,214,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Thinking of staying on the King kick, possibly Carrie or 'Salems' Lot next.

I don't quite know why, but I bought Jimmy Page: Magus Musician Man. Why did I think it'd resemble the truth any more than any other Led Zep tome? ('cos I'm mildly obsessed, that's why).
The material in these 'biographies' always consists of cobbled together secondary sources; the authors often admit to the content being much 'educated guesswork'. Personally I just try and view it as interpretive work which just happens to feature my favorite guitarist as a lead character.
Right. I liked Keith Richard's book much better. I did like some of the anecdotal stories in Hammer of the Gods. Led Zep's manager to Bob Dylan when he tells Dylan he's Led Zep's manager. Dylan replies, " I don't tell you my problems, do I?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 AM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Thinking of staying on the King kick, possibly Carrie or 'Salems' Lot next.

I don't quite know why, but I bought Jimmy Page: Magus Musician Man. Why did I think it'd resemble the truth any more than any other Led Zep tome? ('cos I'm mildly obsessed, that's why).
The material in these 'biographies' always consists of cobbled together secondary sources; the authors often admit to the content being much 'educated guesswork'. Personally I just try and view it as interpretive work which just happens to feature my favorite guitarist as a lead character.
Have you read Stairway to Heaven by Richard Cole?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell.

I hated to see it end. Rarely have characters in a book seemed so real to me. I understand it is soon to be a movie. I will make it a point to see this one.

Spoiler
I think it was selfish of Uncle Mike to refuse to take Elvis. I also think Elvis will end up with the one who truly loves him. I was also pleased that the police detective realized that Harley was truly a good kid.

Now how on earth do you hide things when you post (the spoiler)?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 AM

I finished Methland by Nick Reding. It is the story of Oelwein in Iowa, a town that apparently made the news some years ago as the "worst" town in America. I'd never heard of it before this book.

Tom Arnold's sister Lori (the Tom Arnold of Roseanne's ex-husband fame) has a kind of starring role in the book. She apparently built quite an empire on meth.

What I didn't know was that meth users apparently work very, very hard while under the influence, at least in the beginning, causing the author to call it a very "American" drug. What I also didn't know is that later-stage meth users really hallucinate, I mean to the point where one guy kept asking his wife who was in bed with him, where his wife was.

I guess I had always assumed that drugs mellowed a person out to the point where they didn't do anything, so this was news to me. I'm not saying it was practical news in that meth has not affected my life or the lives of anyone I know, but I do hear about it on the news.

And now for something completely different, I am reading Suzanne Brockmann, Breaking the Rules - a new book. What I like about her writing is that it is very much rooted in the present - no flowery language, but a bit preachy in sections where characters have issues that are close to the author's heart. I hate it when authors invent characters to pursue a point the author wants to make (in Brockmann's case about gays - she has a gay son, and on-line says that is why she incorporates gay characters), instead of letting the character do their own thing.

I think this sort of thing is what UTHORN meant when he called some of Koontz's writing 'political.' When the writer has an agenda as opposed to the characters running the story and the author just making sure they don't run too far off the track. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Uthorn, but that's the way I read your post in another thread.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Now how on earth do you hide things when you post (the spoiler)?

Look at the tool bar (the one where you select "bold", Italic, Underline...etc.) Click the one on the extreme right "Show/Hide." That is where you hide spoilers. After you click on that you can then type the spoiler. Type your message between the brackets.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM

I just finished Who Do You Think You Are? by Alyse Myers.

It's her memoir. I didn't care for it.

It's depressing and extremely negative. However, I believe this book brought closure to her and that's a good thing.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished Who Do You Think You Are? by Alyse Myers.

It's her memoir. I didn't care for it.

It's depressing and extremely negative. However, I believe this book brought closure to her and that's a good thing.
I'm pretty sure that I never even got to page 100 on this one. Good for you for persevering.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM

4,693 posts, read 4,334,181 times
Hard Times by Charles Dickens...cant read too much of it at a time, but it's really good and I am enjoying. I keep thinking this dickens guy is pretty good~~ I must have had this book for over a year and forgot about it.
Next up will probably be the 19th wife.
Methland sounds incredibly amazing but I don't know if it will be too upsetting?
That Back Roads also sounds great.never heard of it until here so thanks for the recommendations.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm pretty sure that I never even got to page 100 on this one. Good for you for persevering.
It was a struggle to finish it. I kept hoping some redeeming qualities would suddenly shine through. That never happened.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
Michael Chabon's "Gentlemen of the Road". An absolutely delightful trip through ancient Central Asia with scoundrels, described in dry and droll understatement. Short, and illustrated like a children's book. A real treasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books